gluten-free sides

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

June 25, 2014

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks – Crisp, tender zucchini sticks covered in quinoa flakes and oven-roasted to perfection. They make a healthy and nutritious side dish recipe for weekday dinners or weekend parties!

Whenever I am on vacation I let all eating rules go out the window. Not that I follow that many rules to begin with, but I generally eat healthy when I am home. That’s because I only keep healthy ingredients in my house and since I only eat out when I am either lazy or want to try a new restaurant, that means most of the time.

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks - Crisp, tender zucchini sticks covered in quinoa flakes and oven-roasted to perfection. They make a healthy and nutritious side dish recipe for weekday dinners or weekend parties!This past weekend I ate whatever I wanted and didn’t think twice. Ice cream, froyo, french fries and an unhealthy amount of vodka (there’s a reason there’s no other pictures from the boat) all made it’s way into my mouth. And I have zero regrets. There was a time when I would feel guilty for indulging but that feels like it was a lifetime ago. Old Davs would have said that “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”, but that’s because she had never tried Blueberry Salted Honey Custard. CRAZINESS.

But after four days of straight indulgence, it’s only natural you start to crave some veggies. I actually made these Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks for a dinner I hosted last week but zucchini’s were on sale (yay for zucchini season!) so they’re on the roster for tonight. I don’t believe in quick fixes when it comes to diets, but it’s only natural that sometimes we need a reset. For me that means going to the grocery store and shopping the outer aisles for fresh veggies and fruit and protein sources.

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce // thehealthymaven.com$112 dollars later and I’m ready for some healthy, nutrient-packed meals! Sure my grocery bill was slightly on the higher end, but it sure beats the price tag for a juice cleanse! I don’t want to hate on juice cleanses, because I too have done one (although I did turn into Cruella De Vil, hangry stylez) but they’re probably not going to be that magic weight-loss trick you always wanted. Say adios to your water weight for approximately 3 days and hello 3 days later! But then again if that’s what you need for your reset, more power to ya.

My reset involves zucchinis and quinoa and yogurt and mustard. Maybe unconventional to you, but it works for me!

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Cook Time 40 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

For the Zucchini Sticks

• 2 large zucchinis (or 3 medium)
  • 2/3 cup quinoa flakes*
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large egg

For the Honey Mustard Sauce

• 1/2 cup 0% fat greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Slice zucchinis into thirds and then slice thirds into sticks.
  3. in a large bowl combine quinoa flakes, garlic powder and sea salt.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk one egg.
  5. Using one hand, dip one zucchini stick into the egg and then using the other hand dip the stick into the quinoa flakes. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all zucchini sticks have been coated.
  6. Bake sticks for 30 mins.
  7. Meanwhile, combine all honey mustard dip ingredients.
  8. Remove sticks from oven and serve warm with honey mustard dipping sauce.

Notes

*Not regular quinoa. Look for quinoa flakes in health food stores or gluten-free aisles.

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce // thehealthymaven.comDo you eat differently on vacation? Do you ever do a food reset?

June 25, 2014 at 5:33 am

I need to make that honey mustard sauce because…as you know, Australia have nothing. I’ve made something similar but used parmesan cheese and crushed up crackers (bread crumb less) lol…but quinoa? Nice!

On vacay, I try and enjoy the areas specialties…cept when I’m in T town where I’ll take advantage of certain people.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Vegetable Free Eats

meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles
    June 25, 2014 at 5:49 am

I have made these before! So good. I think I need a new box of quinoa flakes, thanks for reminding me!
    meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW – National Strawberry Parfait Day

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    June 25, 2014 at 6:20 am

I am TRYING to get to a place where it’s OKAY to eat whatever I want on vacation…I’m getting there 🙂
    I am totally planning on making some quinoa crusted chicken for dinnah, so I am thinking this would be a lovely side dish. I want to swim in the that dipping sauce!
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Nectarine Fruit Salsa with Grilled Chicken Recipe {GF, High Protein, Low Fat + Super Simple}

erin @ The Almond Eater
    June 25, 2014 at 6:39 am

Whoever came up with “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” clearly never had Nutella gelato. JUST SAYIN’.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…WIAW: Yesterday’s Eats

Lauren
    June 25, 2014 at 6:55 am

I am so happy you have posted a “courgette” 😉 fries recipe. I was out for dinner with my sister the other day and she ordered courgette fries. As I am on the no gluten experiment, I could not have any – it was so sad. So hello healthy gluten free version right here. On holiday I will still eat mostly healthy stuff because that is what I actually enjoy but if I am in a restaurant where the local delicacy is something a bit “nauuugggghty” then I am definitely going to eat it. Part of the beauty of travelling is eating foods from different cultures!!
    Lauren recently posted…Vegetarian Buckwheat Pizza

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    June 25, 2014 at 6:59 am

These look delicious! And I’m so glad you didn’t try to call them french fries, because I’ve seen people try to pretend with zucchini and it’s a lie. I would totally make these, though. I’ve never seen quinoa flakes before, though, so I’ll have to do some digging.

When I’m traveling I stick to healthier foods for breakfast and lunch, then whatever I want for dinner/drinks. Works well for me!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Lunches out are good for the soul

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    June 25, 2014 at 7:26 am

Wow, does this recipe sound amazing! And, honey mustard dressing is by far one of my favorites. I’ve never made a homemade version before, so I’m excited to try it out. I love how easy it is!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #45 – Simple Green Protein Smoothie

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    June 25, 2014 at 7:27 am

These look delicious!!! And yep, I’m in the “reset” mode right now! After the wedding, I indulged a lot on the honeymoon and haven’t gotten totally back on track. Time to set things back to normal!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…10 Snacks Under 200 Calories

Alex@vegginout
    June 25, 2014 at 7:51 am

I always crave veggies after even a day without too many of them. Especially if I go a day without broccoli… that’s just a disaster waiting to happen. 😉
    This looks like the perfect way to get some green food in! I’m especially in love with that dipping sauce because I think I’m addicted to honey mustard. 😛
    Alex@vegginout recently posted…Chocolate Protein Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Protein Frosting

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    June 25, 2014 at 8:20 am

Love zucchini sticks! I’ve never tried quinoa flakes, though. I’ll have to pick some up because this looks like the perfect snack or side dish, plus I have about 5 zucchinis in my fridge right now. 😉
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Tomato Love

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    June 25, 2014 at 8:50 am

Blueberry salted honey custard?! You MUST be kidding. Your trip with Lee sounded so fantastical…totally jealous over here but I’m glad you packed it to the brim with all the vaca essentials (vodka, fries, froyo, and more vodka). I plan to eat alllll the gelato, crepes and pizza while I’m in Europe. Like on repeat duh!!! PS these zukes look freaking amazing–I’ve never used quinoa flakes but now I have a delish reason to buy a box!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…I’m A Registered Dietitian! (+ WIAW)

June 25, 2014 at 8:58 am

A reset is definitely what I need! I love your philosophy when it comes to vacation (mainly because we have the same one), but I’ve been indulging way too much at home – because for the longest time “home” in Louisiana WAS vacation. Hmm…I wrote a whole post about needing to get back on track today and never saw it that way until just now! Who is whose psychologist now?? 😉
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Eating Healthy When You’re NOT on Your Own

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    June 25, 2014 at 9:03 am

These sound amazing! I made zucchini baked pizza bites last weekend. I love love love zucchini!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW…When it’s too hot to eat

Em @ Love A Latte
    June 25, 2014 at 9:11 am

These look fun! I absolutely eat different on vacation. Last vacation my husband and I took, we definitely had gelato like every day. That being said, a lot of the food I eat was awesome vegan meals, but dessert is included at every meal when it comes to vacation generally!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 33 Weeks

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    June 25, 2014 at 9:20 am

im with you when it comes to reset with whole foods rather than juice or some quick fix. on that note, i have been indulging for the past month or so..hopefully i will take charge of that soon.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Date Bars (Vegan & Gluten-Free)

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    June 25, 2014 at 9:55 am

I definitely reset with whole foods … I’ve run a group coaching program through my Spring Reset that was very similar, and people seemed to love it! I’ve never done a juice cleanse, mainly because I think I’d be too hangry 🙂
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Top Seven Takeaways from Type One Nation Diabetes Conference

Brittany
    June 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

I don’t actually eat all that different when I am on vacation than I do at home. Sure, I will gladly eat an extra cupcake or giant bean burger because that’s my favorite way to experience a new place, but I don’t ever find myself overdoing it. If anything I tend to eat less on vacations because I am go go going so much!! I do love how my body reacts to a lack of veggies, I can’t really go more than two days without clean eats before I look like a zombie. I’m like a fine tuned machine, put something foreign in me and I’ll need to sleep alone..if you know what I’m sayin…
    Brittany recently posted…The Ten Essentials

Brittany
      June 25, 2014 at 10:51 am

I got so wrapped up in fart talk I didn’t even comment on the sticks!! THEY LOOK SO YUM. I’d eat them all.
      Brittany recently posted…The Ten Essentials

June 25, 2014 at 10:59 am

you officially win best comment of the post. For the record, C is far more likely to stop me from eaten gluten than I am because the poor guy’s gotta sleep with me that night. It ain’t pretty 😉

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    June 25, 2014 at 11:09 am

Ohhh I got so excited because I just bought zucchini and quinoa but then I saw you need quinoa flakes. Whomp whomp! I’ll have to try it another time. What do you serve these with?

I’m not a big fan of juice cleanses. I think they are counterproductive for weight loss and don’t really offer the nutritional variety your body needs. I think juice as part of a healthy diet is great but the cleanses are kind of a marketing trick in my opinion. My friend is doing one and I had to bite my tongue!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Mid-year Check-in

Christie - Food Done Light
    June 25, 2014 at 11:19 am

I hadn’t thought to use quinoa flakes as a crust. Can’t wait to try it. I love crusted zucchini sticks.
    Christie – Food Done Light recently posted…Grilled Smoky Watermelon Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette

June 26, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thanks Christie! I also love coating chicken with quinoa flakes 🙂 Makes them so crispy!

June 25, 2014 at 11:36 am

Even with all the crazy diet shenanigans I’ve pulled in my time, I’ve never been able to do a juice cleanse — I enjoy chewing… and not starving. I think juices can be a great -addition- to a healthy diet, but not the foundation of one. Have you ever heard of people who go on juice FASTS and do it for months and months? Insanity.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. why i won’t be working for a bikini body this summer.

June 25, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I NEED BLUEBERRY HONEY CUSTARD. Where do I ever find this at??

I usually eat pretty balanced when I’m traveling (minus lots of vodka + lobster benedict in Toronto)… Portland is a different story. Ice cream for breakfast? Okay! I’m surrounded by bad influences with good metabolisms there 🙂
    Cassie recently posted…What Should I Pack for a Long Run?

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    June 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I love that you used quinoa flakes!! I’ve been thinking about getting those but haven’t had enough ideas. Zucchini sticks for the win because I love baked zucchini!

I am pretty good about sticking with my healthy eating goals on vacation, but I let myself go with the flow and have ice cream before a sandwich if that’s what sounds good for lunch. It’s nice to not overthink things and let yourself enjoy all the amazing foodie spots you want to hit up in a new place! Glad you had such a good time.
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Easy Baked Turkey Meatballs

The Maven's BFF
    June 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm

You forgot to mention the best thing we ate all weekend- blue [potato] balls.
    The Maven’s BFF recently posted…Spiralized Tzatziki Cucumber Salad

Brittany @ Barr & Table
    June 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm

These look delicious and I’ll definitely have to give them a try. But fo realz, I’m obsessed with your pictures right now. I could like peel a quinoa flake off through the computer!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    June 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I feel like I need a food reset every day after work. There’s SO MUCH delicious food around me all the time and it’s hard to say no! Yesterday I had carrot cake, wine and fried falafel before my workout. That didn’t feel so great swimming around in my stomach. 🙁
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…It just hit me!

Kat
    June 25, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I am a huge sucker for zucchini sticks. I often make a batch and eat the entire thing by myself, but lets just ignore that fact for a second. Quinoa flakes? Sign. Me. Up. I freaking adore those things!! And that honey mustard? YES PLEASE!!
    Kat recently posted…[WIAW] – Forcing It

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    June 25, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Mmm, these look fab.

I love your honesty, Davida. It is great to read that other HLBs out there do indulge. I often feel so guilty when I go out and enjoy myself and don’t eat 100% clean/healthy when I’m out with friends or my OH.
    Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake recently posted…Oatmeal, raisin and hazelnut breakfast cookies

June 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I tend to eat less healthily on vacation too, especially when my mom, sister, and I used to do our foodie road trips! I figured I might never visit those cities again, so I had to enjoy their food offerings while I could. 😉 It always makes me appreciate healthy food so much more once I get home though, that’s for sure.

My mom made zucchini sticks a few months ago and I loved them. Great idea to make them with quinoa flakes!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Why health claims and symbols aren’t health promoting

Mary Frances
    June 25, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Same here; while on vacay, it’s like, I’m on a break, splurge a little! And a little every day adds up 😉 However, it is really fun to try new foods and stuff, so its worth it. But there is nothing like coming home to your own kitchen and pantry! I would’ve NEVER guessed this was zucchini. The crispy coating and honey mustard totally fooled me! I <3 honey mustard so much 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Four Ingredient Dairy Free} Rhubarb White Chocolate Ice Cream

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite
    June 25, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I generally eat whatever I want on vaca- it’s vacation how could you not?! I’m excited for zucchini season here…1 more month and they will be in full force!
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…Almond Lime Sauce {Spring Roll Sauce and Cold Veggie Noodle Sauce}

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    June 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Your zucchini is crusty…..
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Have Some Balls on Your Birthday!

June 26, 2014 at 12:15 am

I LOVE zucchini sticks! Whenever I see zucchini fries on a menu I simply must get them.

And oh hell yea, whenever I eat whatever I want for a weekend or vacation, I actually feel excited to get back to eating nice and healthy — that means sans the boatloads of wine and bread. Ha!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…KIND Healthy Snacks Giveaway

June 26, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Yum – I think this would be perfect with some grilled chicken (or steak!!!) – maybe this weekend!!
    Kim recently posted…The Blogger Behind the Blog

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    June 27, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yay, glad to know that you had such a fabulous journey full of ice-cream and vodka! Way to go!
    But yeah you’re right, after that long time eating just crappy (but delicious!) food, some fresh veggies and protein are very much needed. This looks like a lovely and original idea! What a fun coating 🙂
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Stone Fruit Barley Salad with Sparkly Vinaigrette

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    June 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Love zucchini, love honey mustard = love this!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Breaking the Barriers to Female Bonding

6/29/14 Sunday Funday | The Skinny-Life
    June 29, 2014 at 7:16 am

[…] Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce via The Healthy Maven – These sound delicious! I’m starting another zucchini phase when I get home. […]

Sunday Link Love #1 | Healthy Stuff Reviews
    June 29, 2014 at 10:32 am

[…] Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce by Davida at The Healthy Maven […]

June 29, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Um so I never knew quinoa flakes existed until right now. I’ve made zucchini fritters, but never breaded sticks. What a genius idea, which I plan to follow except I’m sticking with good old fashioned panko only because I have a pantry full (hello Costco) and I’ve forbidden myself from buying new pantry items until I actually weed through the ones I’ve got.

Juices = yes. Juice cleanse (and only juice) = No.

kimmythevegan
    June 29, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Mmmm these sound delicious! Love the use of quinoa flakes (I just bought some for the first time recently and eager to try them in something other than breakfast porridge).
    Love your no regrets way of eating – I’m aspiring to that right now =)
    kimmythevegan recently posted…Healthy Vegan Friday #2

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    June 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Its totally okay to indulge every now and then but I know what you mean to be craving veggies after a few to many indulgent days haha! This recipe looks awesome, never would have thought to use quinoa flakes as a “breading” for zucchini sticks 🙂 yum!
    Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa recently posted…Kelp Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce + Brocoli (Vegan and Gluten Free)

6/29/14 Sunday Funday - Skinny Fitalicious