dessert gluten-free paleo popsicles/ice cream snacks vegan

Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles

July 6, 2014

I’m a biter. This is pertinent to this post for two reasons. 1) I bite my popsicles. Ain’t no licking up in hurr. And 2) I bite my nails. See that nail polish I’m wearing? I put it on purely for photographic purposes and yes it is only on one finger. Manicures just aren’t worth it because I end up biting it off within a day. Judge all you want.

In addition to my terrible biting habits, I am also a picker. I pick at foods to scoop out the best parts i.e. cookie dough in cookie dough ice cream and even worse I pick off my friend’s and family’s plates while they’re still eating. Don’t you dare try to pick at my plate though. It’s out of bounds until I declare I am done, at which point it becomes free-game.

Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan #paleoWhile we’re on the topic of my flaws, we may as well discuss my hands. I wouldn’t say they’re keeping me up at night, but whenever I do a photoshoot in which my hands play a prominent role (clearly this doesn’t happen often) I am always embarrassed by how they look. My hands are actually miniature. Which makes no sense considering I am 5’7 and both of my parents have nice, big hands. I think I’m adopted…Kidding! If you’ve seen that afro I inherited from my father you would know I am definitely his spawn.

Now that I’ve already shared 3 of my flaws, I may as well give you the whole shebang. A big one is that I cannot drive. Technically I have a license to drive a car but it was obtained in a very sneaky-borderline-illegal way. I cannot park a car or drive on the highway and have a mini panic attack at every left turn. I also have a bit of a potty mouth, have a weakness for horrible reality TV shows (specifically those of the MTV variety), oh and I shed (please refer to the above point regarding my afro for explanation).

Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan #paleoSo let’s recap, I bite my nails and my popsicles, I pick food straight off your plate, I have freakish hands, I cannot drive, I swear, I loooove Teen Mom and I shed more than a golden retriever. On the bright side, I make a mean Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicle!

P.S. They’re gluten-free, vegan, paleo and sugar-free but taste AWESOME. Make them…seriously.

Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles

PREP TIME 10 mins

For the "caramel"

• 1/4 cup dates, soaked for at least 1 hour (reserve soaking water)
  • 2 T date water (water the dates were soaked in)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

For the popsicles

• 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk*

1. In a blender combine soaked dates, date water, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt until smooth. Add additional water if too thick.**
  2. Add in blueberries and coconut milk and blend until smooth.
  3. Pour mixture into 6 popsicle molds.
  4. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
  5. If having a difficult time removing from mold to eat, run molds under hot water until the popsicle is easily removed.

Notes

I prefer full-fat because it gives the popsicles a creamier consistency, but feel free to use lite coconut milk or other non-dairy milk. *To create "caramel" streaks, spread a thin layer of the "caramel" along the inside of the popsicle molds before blending the remainder with the blueberries and milk.

A delicious frozen treat for the summer! These Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles will blow your mind in flavor but they are also gluten-free, vegan and paleo too!What are some of your bad habits or flaws? Anyone else consuming popsicles like it’s their job?

July 6, 2014 at 5:48 am

You have a potty mouth? Never. Now I can stand by the message I sent a few weeks back….damn popsicles.

Remind me to forward you one of Niki’s texts from when she was in Iran. You’ll officially disown me for her. And nail biters club unite. Please tell me Margie put that vile poison polish on you growing up like my mum did.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #31- Flashback Posts #1

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    July 6, 2014 at 5:50 am

I used to love ice pops at the end of the day at camp. In fact, I preferred the ice pop afternoons over the ice cream because the popsicles were much more refreshing when it was super hot and I was thirsty over even my favorite chocolate eclairs, Dixie cup and fudge bars. Surprising for me, I know…I am terribly guilty of loving MTV reality shows, Honey Boo Boo and of course, Kardashian.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Peanut Butter And Berry Quinoa

Joanne
    July 6, 2014 at 7:03 am

I really don’t (or shouldn’t) drive either!! And I’m a nail biter. And a popsicle biter. And have way too much hair on my head for my own good.

So, obviously after all that…I need these popsicles.
    Joanne recently posted…Mediterranean Tortellini Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Lauren
    July 6, 2014 at 7:19 am

Salted caramel blueberry ice lollies – HELLO! They sound amazing! I need to get an ice lolly holder thing for the freezer! I am pretty rubbish at driving – I got my license then went off to Uni then moved to London which meant not driving for nearly 6 years. Now I am living in the burrrbs I have to drive. I am fine until I have to go on a motorway then I get scared! ha. I have really big hands and feet, my fingers are like sausages – it is really sexy 😉
    Lauren recently posted…Gluten Free Experiment – How I Felt

July 6, 2014 at 9:09 am

Ahhh you bite popsicles?! my teeth are way, way too sensitive for that. As for bad habits/flaws: I pick at callouses and hangnails…and I failed both my G2 and my G an embarrassing number of times before I got my license.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 07/04/14.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    July 6, 2014 at 9:30 am

Love the use of dates in this recipe! I think I’ll give this a try with cherries…. my son has been craving cherry everything. I feel you with the hand issue. I actually think my hands look pretty normal, but in photos, they just look terrible. 😉
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…The Best Summer Quinoa Salad

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    July 6, 2014 at 9:47 am

These popsicles look fan-freakin-tastic. I might eat all the salted caramel before it gets in the popsicle though.
    My bad habits: I crack my neck by grabbing my head and pulling it to the side, making people think I’m trying to off myself in a bizarre way. I get too lazy to clean under my nails, so I always just cut them short to stay hygienic. And I shed like crazy too. *sigh*
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fascinating Friday Links #39

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    July 6, 2014 at 10:12 am

This post, and you, make me smile Davida.
    I’m a total picker as well. Don’t even try and eat cookie dough ice cream with me, you will get all the ice cream and no cookie dough.
    I’ve got curly hair as well and it gets EVERYWHERE!
    I’ve only been driving a year and I am like the worst parallel parker.
    Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake recently posted…Slow cooker turkey spaghetti bolognese (paleo friendly)

July 6, 2014 at 10:33 am

I have not been consuming popsicles like it’s my job but I intend to change that after reading about this. Must buy popsicle molds first. Alright, it’s on the list. 😉

You can stay with me. My cats are pickers, biters and they shed.

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    July 6, 2014 at 11:25 am

Lol! I used to be a nail biter but stopped within the last year or so. And I hateeeee driving as well. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to live somewhere without public transport. The thought of driving every single place you need to go terrifies me.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Happy 4th of July!

erin @ The Almond Eater
    July 6, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I used by bite my popsicles but now my teeth are too sensitive? ANNOYING. Ain’t no shame in reality TV though..never.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Strawberry Jello Cups

Mary Frances
    July 6, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I am a biter too. Of popsicles and nails. Who has time to lick? And only a fellow nail biter understands why we do it …
    And we were just talking about how little my hands are too! My friends and I make fun of my chubby fingers … what can I say, it is the same amount of finger, just in a smaller space. Not my fault, mkay?
    And not my fault I want to lick my computer screen. Caramel in a popsicle is awesome. Pinned!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Better than Box Brownies {that happen to be paleo!}

July 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I used to always bite popsicles – now I don’t eat them often because the cold hurts my teeth:)
    Jordan will be happy to know that you are a perfectly normal functioning adult who doesn’t drive – he hates it!!! And left turns about do him in!
    Kim recently posted…Bodyweight Moves Are Awesome!!! (6/29-7/5)

July 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Haha I pick off other peoples’ plates too. My family sometimes refers to me as the human garbage disposal. 😛 As for my other flaws? Far too many! 1. My legs are always bruised. Always. I don’t think my legs have ever looked all one colour before 2. I’m indecisive to the point of it being annoying 3. I pick at the split ends in my hair when I get bored haha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…The first step to weight loss

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    July 7, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’m not a biter because licking ice-cream is my fave, duh. Buuuut I’m definitely a picker too, especially when it comes to those chocolate bits in granola haha.
    These popsicles look delicious – salted caramel anything is my (second) favorite. Right after licking popsicles like it’s my job, that is.

dina
    July 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

great healthy pops!
    dina recently posted…Weekend Whets 7/4–Happy 4th of July!

Laurie
    July 7, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’m in awe that your thought to pair blueberries and caramel. Also, intrigued by the “date-esque” caramel. Must try.

July 7, 2014 at 11:18 am

Admittedly I was inspired by a Blueberry Salted Honey Custard I tried in Minneapolis! Can’t take full credit, except for the “date caramel” 😉

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    July 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

i absolutely hate my nails too and my toes actually..i dream about wearing open toe shoes but too embarrassed to do it 🙁
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…$50 Grocery Budget – What Did I get?

July 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

I LOVE Teen Mom too!! Wow, you are the first person who has ever shared this sentiment with me (who wasn’t a fifteen year old girl) and I love you for it. I hope that you are having a fabulous time in Utah and remind me never to let you drive xo!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Why I’m Not a Food Blogger

Laurie
    July 7, 2014 at 9:56 am

p.s. I didn’t drive much while in college and not at all for the 8 years after when I lived in NYC. Then I moved to Los Angeles and within 2 days bought a car and was driving the LA freeways on my 20+ mile commute.

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    July 7, 2014 at 11:39 am

biting popsicles , yes – licking takes too long!
    Blueberry and caramel? would never have thought to pair them – must try this combo!
    Archana @ The Perfect Zest recently posted…Kale + Carrot Quinoa Salad

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    July 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Holy Healthy Maven confessional!!! That’s a lot of stuff to spill. But hey, at least you’re not a serial killer right?

My flaws? Eating half of a protein bar and then leaving the rest laying out on the counter for days, road rage, and an unhealthy obsession with Ben Affleck.

Btw, these popsicles look amazing 🙂
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Orthorexia: The Fine Line Between Eating Clean & Eating Disorder

July 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

1.) These look so refreshing!!
    2.) You painted 1 nail for picture purposes?! That.is.hilarious. You’re hardcore!
    3.) I’m totally a food picker too. I get it from my mom, and whenever I’m back home, everyone’s like, “Which one of you ruined this cake by eating only certain parts out of it?”
    4.) I too am a shameful bad TV watcher. My hubby can’t understand it and says I’m killing braincells. He’s probably right but I can’t help myself. Give me some Real Housewives TV please!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Watermelon, Feta & Mint Salad + 4th of July Weekend Recap

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    July 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’m a huge reality tv junkie…the Kardashians, real housewives & teen mom. These Popsicles look amazing!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Greek Strawberry Shortcake Muffins

July 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I am SO happy to know I am not alone! Please tell me you are watching the bachelorette too!

July 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm

WE ARE THE SAME PERSON. Except I don’t bite my nails and I’m obsessed with having a manicure but I resonate with this: I pick at foods to scoop out the best parts i.e. cookie dough in cookie dough ice cream and even worse I pick off my friend’s and family’s plates while they’re still eating. I just find picking off their plates part of my charm, right? I shed all over J’s apartment this week, blonde hair everywhere.
    Cassie recently posted…Peach Overnight Oatmeal

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    July 7, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Oh I am not a biter at all. When I read the biting popsicle thing I actually got chills and goosebumps! Popsicles have a nails-on-chalkboard affect on me for some reason. I still eat them but I never, ever, ever bite them!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Joyful July

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    July 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Love that these use date “caramel”. It’s so easy to make and is so delicious!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Stop Trading Your Authenticity for Acceptance

Paleo Friendly Snacks - 25 to choose from - Addicted 2 Savings 4 U
    July 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

[…] Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles 2. Brownie Bites with Protein Frosting 3. Chocolate Avocado Fruit Parfait 4. Double Chocolate […]

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    July 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

I always think of salted-caramel chocolate because… duh), but berries are brilliant! I love that you used dates. Can you make this as a breakfast muffin, please?
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…#MoveHappy Week 2: Quest Bars & Nutrex

July 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

that’s kind of brilliant! Full credit will go to you!

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    July 8, 2014 at 11:29 am

Literally dreaming about how good these must be. Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits and I’m obsessed with salted caramel! 😀
    Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa recently posted…Made In Nature Review + DIY Trail Mix

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish
    July 8, 2014 at 11:49 am

I’m in love with these popsicles… AND you!!! I love you, flaws and all 🙂 I think it’s hilarious that you only painted one nail for photography-purposes only!
    Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish recently posted…Giveaway! Subway’s #PileOnTheVeggies + Fandango

Today... -
    July 9, 2014 at 11:27 am

[…] Healthy Maven: Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles << OMG, […]

Brittany
    July 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I swear my hands are normal until I see them in photos like this. I pose my hands like normal people pose their bodies, HAHA! These look sOOO GOOOD. I want to rub them all over my body when it’s HOT OUT!
    Brittany recently posted…Does It Make Me…

Friday Favorites! Edition 13 | Tasty Food ProjectTasty Food Project
    July 11, 2014 at 3:02 am

[…] Favorite Posts: Thai Ice Tea Pops Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles 4 Body-Positive Messages for My Daughters 5 Easy Steps to Make Any Dream Come True Smart […]

20 Deliciously Refreshing Popsicle Recipes | Little Red WindowLittle Red Window
    July 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

[…] Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles from The Healthy Maven […]

Bean Bytes 97 | About Arthritis Pain
    July 16, 2014 at 7:06 am

[…] Vegan Cookie Dough Banana Soft ServeChocolate Dipped S’Mores Ice Cream SandwichHealthy Popsicles with Brownie BrittleSpinach Basil Black Bean BurgersStrawberry Pistachio Goat Cheese CrepesBanh Mi HotdogsCinnamon Rolls in Orange CupsKaleidoscope Salad With Curried Hummus DressingAncient Grains GranolaAvocado Turkey BurgersLemon Vanilla Energy BallsFrozen Chai Tea LatteGarlic Scape Pesto For FreezingBlueberry Zinger PopsPB & J GranolaRosemary Garlic Roasted Tomatoes Blissful Berry Oat Cobbler Healthy BitesStrawberry Chocolate Chip CobblerSummer Pasta RecipesMayo Free Chicken SaladSpicy Bacon Chickpea BurgersRed White & Blue Champagne SangriaGuacamole Greens SaladPeanut Butter Cup Banana BreadRaspberry MuffinsBreakfast Hot DogsRoasted Balsamic Strawberry ShortcakeShrimp Enchilada Spaghetti Squash BoatsAvocado & Chili Lime Chicken BurgersFrench Onion Chicken SandwichesWatermelon Shrimp SkewersRefreshing Summer MocktailsWatermelon Raspberry Sorbet Sandwiches40 Easy Casserole Recipes That Are Actually Healthy7 Layer Taco DipPeach Crisp SmoothieBlueberry Almond TartBlueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles […]

50+ Refreshing Popsicle Recipes - onecreativemommy.com
    July 21, 2014 at 7:02 am

[…] Salted Caramel Popsicles from The Healthy Maven (Pictured […]

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change
    July 24, 2014 at 9:36 am

Loved the honesty behind this post! =)
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Thinking Out Loud / #5

75 Peach and Blueberry Desserts Recipes - Cupcakes & Kale Chips
    August 1, 2014 at 1:01 am

[…] Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles from The Healthy Maven […]

Home
    August 3, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Hey all. I came across your current web site using bing. That is certainly an extremely well written document. I am sure to take note of the idea and get back to discover additional of your useful data. Thank you for the actual posting. Let me surely return.

17 Ways to Use Seasonal Maine Blueberries - From Away
    August 7, 2014 at 10:19 pm

[…] Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles from The Healthy Maven […]

30 Healthy Ice Pop Recipes | Seasonal & Savory
    August 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm

[…] Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles, from The Healthy Maven […]

paleo diet
    September 23, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a data!

existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this web site.
    paleo diet recently posted…paleo diet

How To Build The Ultimate Summer Popsicle - Lexi's Clean Kitchen