gluten-free nut and seed butters paleo vegan

Mocha Hazelnut Butter

July 20, 2014

I’m baaaack! Did you miss me? Probably not. It’s only been 10 days but those 10 days have felt like a lifetime for me. Granted I did cover 4 states, climb at least 6 mountains, almost die mountain biking and eat A LOT of amazing meals in that time, but I’m guessing you barely noticed I was gone.

I had actually planned to continue blogging while I was away and had enough content (i.e. cooked and photographed recipes before I left) to last me through the two weeks but the second I got out West and saw those beautiful mountains, I lost all motivation. It hit me then how badly I needed a vacation. So I completely disconnected and I have no regrets.

Mocha Hazelnut Butter // thehealthymaven.comRegardless, I missed you. My vacation was an absolute blast and I am definitely looking forward to recapping my trip with you, but I really did miss this space of mine. I’ve actually discovered that I miss quite a few things on vacation. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to change things up and experience the world but being away makes you really appreciate the comforts of home.

I missed my bed, my roomie, high-speed internet and my kitchen. By my 10th peanut butter and banana sammie, I started to miss vegetables too. You should have seen my face when we got to Jackson, WY and I ordered a HUGE veggie soup from the most amazing organic cafe. I think our waiter thought  I had been starved because I demolished that thing. It was heaven.

Mocha Hazelnut Butter // thehealthymaven.comDon’t get me wrong, I love me some peanut butter, but apparently there is such thing as overkill. By the time we reached Yellowstone, meals were slim-pickins. Breakfast was often instant oats (why do they make them SO sweet ugh) with peanut butter, followed by a peanut butter sammie for lunch, post-hike treat of peanut m&ms and dinner aka my one peanut-less meal of the day.

By the last day of our trip I couldn’t even look at peanut butter. It made me realize how much I love having some nut butter variety. I suspect I am one of the few people who goes on vacation and misses their nut butter collection. You know you’re a foodie when…

And yes I did come home and dip a big ole spoon in a jar of this Mocha Hazelnut Butter and I swear it got better with time. Nut butter is like a fine wine…okay maybe that’s pushing it 😉

Mocha Hazelnut Butter

Cook Time 25 mins

• 2 cups hazelnuts
  • 1 T cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp coffee grinds
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 T maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven and let cool.
  4. Once cool remove skins from hazelnuts.
  5. Add hazelnuts to a food processor or high-quality blender and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Mine took 10 minutes.
  6. Add in cocoa powder, coffee grinds, sea salt and maple syrup.
  7. Continue processing until well combined.
  8. Store in a jar in cupboard for up to 1 month or longer in refrigerator (will harden in fridge)

Mocha Hazelnut Butter // thehealthymaven.comWhat do you miss most on vacation? Anyone else have nut butter withdrawal?

July 20, 2014 at 5:36 am

Wine that gets better with time? How would YOU know this? the wine you drink barely gets put into the bottle.

I definitely didn’t notice your absence. Don’t let the posting schedule/my comment time fool you. Now as for this recipe….ironic after I told you today about the food processor.

I am totally making this for Niki as she lives off Nutella (minus the coffee part).
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #34- Flashback Posts #3

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    July 20, 2014 at 6:22 am

Glad you had a great trip! I always miss my bed, my coffee machine and of course, my peanut butter and routine of breakfast and running first thing. But of course I ensure that I can have my peanut butter wherever I go so I bring it with me and buy extra when I can while away lol. I love seeing my variety and several jars in my pantry though. It’s my happy place.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Recipe Links And National Ice Cream Day

What Was Good This Week: Coffee and Coconuts – Cat Food is Good For You
    July 20, 2014 at 7:10 am

[…] my face in Laura’s homemade clay mask, having a soak in a bath full of epsom salts, and making a batch of this (I’ve been craving nutella all week, so I’m thinking this will do the […]

July 20, 2014 at 8:41 am

Glad to see you back, lady! 😀 And I definitely know what you mean about missing certain things about home. As much as I love to travel and see new places, my bed, kitchen, bathroom, and overall routine are things I start to miss after a while. Never nut butter, though, because I bring it with me when I travel 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 7/20 .

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    July 20, 2014 at 8:48 am

I usually miss my bed most while on vacation!!!!!! Only because I have a super comfy bed…. otherwise I LOVE vacation!!! I can’t wait to hear all about your vacation!
    That mocha hazelnut butter looks amazing…. I really need to start making my own!
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Friday Favorites: Life Update

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    July 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

I HAVE missed you! Glad that you had a blast, though and were able to totally disconnect and enjoy yourself. I’m totally going to try this. My daughter is addicted to Nutella and this is a much healthier version… we’ll see if she notices. 😉
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…ProCakes Protein Pancake Mix (a review)

Vicky
    July 20, 2014 at 10:19 am

In this recipe did you use instant coffee or ground fresh coffee beans?

July 20, 2014 at 10:37 am

Can’t wait to hear more about your trip lady! And YES to the nut butter thing…I’m obsessed with peanut butter, but I love my 4-5 jar-at-any-given-moment collection. And I always end up missing my bed when I’m on vacation.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 07/18/14.

Emily
    July 20, 2014 at 11:31 am

Welcome back! I miss my own bed when I travel, too. And if I travel with the family, I miss that when we’re home, Squish sleeps in his own room. If we’re in hotels or houseguesting it, more oftern then not Squish is sleeping in the same room/bed as us. Which means no one sleeps, really.
    Emily recently posted…Baby v2.0 Update, Week 22

July 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love me some nut butter! And yes I missed you! Glad to hear that you had a blast, and I’m looking forward to seeing some more gorgeous Davida-on-a-mountain pictures 🙂
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…My First TRX Suspension Training Experience

Miss Polkadot
    July 20, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Yes, I missed you – and I promise not just for the slugfests you and Arman have in the comments and on Twitter. Anyway, nice to see you back and hear how much you enjoyed your unplugged vacation.
    And also yes, I miss nut butter. Or more often almond butter. But on a recent trip to my parents there wasn’t even any of that wouldn’t-usually-eat-it nasty refined-palm-oil-and-sugar-peanut butter. It was a tough weekend. Kidding. Sort of.
    With all the nut butter recipes out there I’m honestly kicking myself a little for getting a Vitamix not food processor. I’ve yet to try more than coconut butter in the Vita because it’s a pain to clean and I’ve seen everybody recommending food processors for nut butter making.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #48

melizz @ fitmedcooking
    July 20, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Glad your back so I can read your posts again :). And this butter , it looks soo good, i reallyneed to buya real food processors one of this days so i can try it out !
    melizz @ fitmedcooking recently posted…Five things friday – Five things about me

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    July 20, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Welcome back, Davida! The photos from your trip on Instagram are amazing!! As a fellow nut butter lover, I dread to think of the day that I get tired of peanut butter. But I do know that my manfriend would rather die first than eat PB for several meals a day. He claims that Brits are too civilized to be PB enthusiasts. I beg to differ.
    Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…Five-Ingredient Fridays: Banana Peanut Butter Pops

July 20, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Welcome back!! I’m so glad you took some time off – it is nice not to feel tied to a computer while on vacation – especially when internet is sketchy and/or costly!!!!
    I love traveling and going places but I’m always happy to come home and sleep in my bed!!!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
    July 20, 2014 at 6:20 pm

So I was literally thinking yesterday that I must not have signed up for your email posts properly and then I saw your comment on Lee’s blog about getting back home and it all makes sense now. Glad you enjoyed your time away from blog world!! I am right wih you on missing my bed when on vacation..I may be an overly high maintenance sleeper haha.

I’ve never worked with hazelnuts at all but adding cocoa and coffee sounds absolutely divine!!!!
    Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted…Chewy Almond Funfetti Cookies + 7 Happy Things

July 20, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Welcome home girl! It always feels good to be home from a length vacation, no matter how much fun it was. I always miss my privacy and having quiet time when I’m on vacation. And home cooked food of course!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Cacao avocado pudding

July 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I ALWAYS have nut butter withdrawal. Also sweet potato withdrawal and oats withdrawal. I am a creature of habit. Butttt I MISSED YOU (even though we talked most days!) so glad you’re back and can’t wait to read the full recap!! xoxoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 7.14

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    July 20, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Yum! I love hazelnut butter and I’m sure this is better than store bought stuff! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Friday Favorites: Scenes From Seattle + Pineapple Mint Smoothie

Lauren
    July 21, 2014 at 5:39 am

Welcome back! I am so glad you disconnected and enjoyed your holiday! This nut butter looks divine 🙂
    Lauren recently posted…Peaches and Cream Superfood Smoothie

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    July 21, 2014 at 6:13 am

Welcome back! Sounds like a fab, fun, active vacation! And what a recipe to come back with – yum!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – Taxes with DOMS!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    July 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm

So happy to hear you had a true VACATION vacation! I’m glad you’re alive too.
    I find it hard to believe there’s a peanut butter overkill, but all day every day does sound a little much. And I do not think it’s pushing it to say that nut butter is like fine wine.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…10 Out of 10

Sarah Pie
    July 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I can do without my bed but I definitely miss my pillow when I’m away!! Can’t wait for a recap of your trip.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Slices of Life #9

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    July 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Sometimes we just need to disconnect from the social media. Glad you had an awesome time!!!! 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Weekend Getaway!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction
    July 22, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I love experimenting with different nut butters! This needs to happen asap!
    Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted…Homemade Peach Salsa

July 23, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Welcome back my friend. I did miss you, although I’m glad you took the time for yourself to recharge and attempt life-defying stunts on the side of a mountain. Only the best for you. 🙂

Friday Favorites! Edition 15 | Tasty Food ProjectTasty Food Project
    July 25, 2014 at 3:04 am

[…] Weight Strength Workout + Cardio Tabata Chocolate & Crunchy Peanut Butter Molten Lava Cake Mocha Hazelnut Butter Honey Lime Peach Salsa Things I’ve Learned Since Turning 30: […]

Pantry Staples you Should be Making at Home | The Housewife in Training Files