best of

Best of July 2014

August 1, 2014

Thank you all for your incredible support on Wednesday’s post. I feel so grateful to be a part of such an amazing community. I hope together we can shift the dialogue in the healthy living world  to one that is focused on living your best life, and not your skinniest!

Can we just take a minute to observe the fact that in 27 days I will be a quarter century old? I go back and forth of on how I feel about this but mostly I’m just concerned that before I know it I’ll be 75 and wondering where my life went? Based on how fast this year is going by, this is not out of the realm of possibility.

best of JulyInstead of freaking out about the future, I’m instead going to focus on the past. In preparation for this post I took a walk down memory lane and re-read the last 6 months of my “best of” series. HOLY BALLS this year has been nuts. Not surprisingly, July was no less crazy. And yes, I intend to say that about every month.

So let’s recap this craziness and then discuss some of the exciting endeavours coming up in August (hint: I have 24 of my 25 goals by 25 list to complete by the 27th FML).

your July favs

People always talk about “going viral” on Pinterest and I had no idea what that meant until this post on 25 Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes in Under 30 Minutes post went insaneeeee on Pinterest. You guys are seriously awesome. That or you are all lazy and want quick dinners 😉

Photo Credit: Food Faith Fitness, The Roasted Root, Lexi's Clean Kitchen

Photo Credit: Food Faith Fitness, The Roasted Root, Lexi’s Clean Kitchen

Of course oatmeal had to make the list. Now go double check that your peaches aren’t contaminated and then make this Peaches & Cream Overnight Oats recipe.

Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats // thehealthymaven.comBalls balls balls. Yes these Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls came with me to Yellowstone. I might be the first person to eat a ball at Old Faithful.

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.comYes, you read that correctly. I did indeed come up with a recipe for gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles. Don’t ask me how, it was kind of an out-of-body experience.

Blueberry Salted Caramel Popsicles // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan #paleoEven harder to believe than those popsicles is the fact that I made a recipe that is EASY! The hardest part about this Easy Blender Gazpacho is having to wait the couple of hours for the flavours to meld!

Easy Blender Gazpacho // thehealthymaven.comSince I spent most of July on my trip out West, I don’t have that many other posts from this past month. I decided instead of picking my July favs (most of which are the same as your July favs!), I would pull some of my older favourites from the archives. These are all meals that I love or posts that I think deserve a little more loving. I’ve included some serious throwbacks if you want to get a sense of what THM was like when I first started!

from the archivesStrawberry picking is still on my Summer 2014 Bucket List. With all of the travelling it’s been hard to find time to go, but next weekend I plan to grab some of the first batch of Fall strawberries before whipping up this Strawberry Shortcake Baked Oatmeal!

Strawberry shortcake baked oatmealI threw this Summer 2014 Playlist on as some extra swag for last month’s Best of June post but I’m convinced that not enough of you have listened to it. DO IT. Your ears will thank me.

Summer 2014 Playlist // thehealthymaven.comYou may want to whip up these babies in prep for an EPIC recipe I have coming for ya. Plus they’re raw healthy oreos…I mean come onnnnn.

Raw Oreo Cookies // thehealthymaven.comA lot of you seemed to connect with my post on Wednesday on The Secret To Skinny. I wanted to remind everyone who is struggling with their weight or feels uncomfortable in their skin that health is not always about how you look. Our minds play a more important role than we realize so don’t forget to nourish your soul along with your body and fight to have and keep a healthy mindset.

Having a healthy mindsetFinally, let’s all have a good laugh at my overly expressive hands and hilarious speaking voice. You might learn a thing or two about why You Should Start Building Your Email Subscribers Today!

So what could I possibly do to top July? Well for the first time in a while, not a whole lot. While I have many other projects happening behind the scenes, not much will be changing around THM. I’m working on some super exciting activities outside of the scope of THM that I KNOW you will be stoked about, but I can’t tell you about those just yet 😉 In the meantime here’s what I can tell you about August!

coming up in august-Since I seemingly cannot stay in one place, I’ll be heading to Boston and Martha’s Vineyard for a few days! Can’t wait to see my friends and fam and disconnect with a side of lobster.

-Another video! I promised you a follow-up to my video on email subscribers and how to increase them so I shall deliver.

-I turn the big 2-5. Hold me.

-Rekindling with ma ladies for an awesome round-up you do not want to miss!

-More delicious recipes! Okay, this is a lame cop-out. You would be getting this anyway. Requests welcome though!

That’s all I’ve got for you today. I’m off to disconnect for the weekend at my friend’s cabin. She’s teaching me to play Mahjong. 25 going on 80.

What were the highlights of your July? Anything exciting happening for you in August?

August 1, 2014 at 5:36 am

Thanks for reminding me about the 27 days……27 days to pull this shebang off. And by shebang I mean pretending the day doesn’t exist.

Learning how to play mahjong? I have something to say which cannot be written here. So pumped for the behind the scenes action. I still call dibs on being head minion.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Easy Spicy Ginger Salmon

Alexis @ Run Crush
    August 1, 2014 at 7:03 am

I’m a teacher, so August means back to school! It also feels like a New Year to me, so lots of reflecting and goal setting on the agenda. Have fun in Martha’s Vineyard! Just one of the best places in the world.
    Alexis @ Run Crush recently posted…Friday Favorites #1

August 1, 2014 at 9:40 am

So…once you learn Mahjong, can you teach me? 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 08/01/14.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    August 1, 2014 at 9:40 am

Those overnight oats looks super delicious and I’d love to wake up to that breakfast! Ah, birthdays…can’t say that I like them. I typically take this time to evaluate where I am going and if I like that path (and if I don’t like that path, I change it!).
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Mediterranean Carrot Salad

Charlotte
    August 1, 2014 at 9:47 am

As someone in her 30s, i’d like to say hurry up and get here because something happens that makes everything better. you just get better at life when you hit 30, i cant explain how. i dreaded every birthday in my 20s (especially 25- that one can be tough) climbing closer and closer to the dreaded 30- but then you get over the hump and you’re like THIS is what everyone was afraid of?! this is so much better than the 20s. seriously girl- it only gets better 🙂
    Charlotte recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday/ Top 8 List- Emojis

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    August 1, 2014 at 10:34 am

Happy Early Birthday!!! Why arent you coming to Dallas —– we dont have lobster but ribs yes.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Fort Worth Half Marathon 2014

August 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

Ribs….when’s my invite?!?! Hehe kidding. Texas is actually on my “to-visit” list!

August 1, 2014 at 10:59 am

This weekend I’ll be welcoming August in the bet possible way — roughin’ it in the woods on a good old-fashioned camping trip 😀 I’m probably a lot more excited about it than I should be, but it’s been about 8 years since I’ve been camping so I can’t remember all the PITA’s associated with it.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. monthly favourites – july 2014 .

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    August 1, 2014 at 11:18 am

You’re going to Martha’s vineyard without me?! I’m beyond jel. How old do you feel that you’re about to turn the number that shall not be named? I WANNA COME CELEBRATE YOUUUUUU!!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Banana Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    August 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Yay for birthdays and good food too!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Zucchini Parmasean Bites

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    August 1, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Actually, 24 going on 80 <- don't age yourself too quickly haha
    I'm turning 23 this year and graduating next year and I'm freaking out. It hits me at random parts of the day. I'll just be walking down the street and remember something that happen when I was younger and then realise *it was more than a DECADE ago*
    You are not alone haha.
    Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us in August 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 Healthy Living Myths you need to stop believing

August 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Oooh I missed the raw Oreos recipe post!

Seems like you are having one fab year lady!! 🙂
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Dark Chocolate Drizzled Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats [Gluten Free & Vegan]

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    August 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Yay for 25!!!! Happy early bday! The peach thing is ridiculous. I order my groceries online through FreshDirect and they sent me an email basically saying that I had bought a bunch of peaches in early June that were affected by the recall. Early June!? I ate those peaches six weeks ago!!! Cue pregnant woman panic attack!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Friday’s Food & Fitness: Food Mishmash + cheerFIT

August 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

July was fun with lots of Portland trips (aka 2). I seriously need to check in with my goals for 25… I was thinking about that running… but on my to-do list today… SIGN UP FOR A MARATHON WTF I AM NUTS. Miss you, can’t wait for our Skype sesh next week xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 7.28

Mary Frances
    August 2, 2014 at 4:18 pm

You are going to rock the quarter century thang. I just know it. (Side note – had no idea your bday was right after mine!) And yes, we are lazy. The truth is out, none of us really love cooking at 5 pm. But yes, we all love you and your sweet desserts 🙂 Here is to an amazing August!
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Vegan} Key Lime Coconut Cinnamon Rolls

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 4, 2014 at 6:41 am

OMG I FORGOT YOU ARE COMING TO BOSTON!!!!!!!!!! I am a terrible blend but pleaseeee if you think you will have time let me know. I would love to meet up if I will be here (we have a few weddings). If it doesn’t work out, I feel like I just met you anyway since I finally got to watch your video, adorable! And informative of course, you sound so maveny (is that a word?)! 🙂
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Let’s catch up