gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy

August 10, 2014

Alternate name: The Little Recipe That Could.

I seriously did not think this recipe was going to happen. Everything leading up to and during its creation did not give me much faith that I could pull it off, but somehow this little recipe pulled through. Let’s recap the events that occurred in the creation of this side-dish from hell…

You know those days when your to-do list is 20 tasks long and yet with each thing you cross-off you seem to add 4 more? This was one of those days. It also happened to be a Friday which meant I was in a crunch to get things done before the weekend (I’ve been trying to not work on the weekends). Before I knew it it was 4:00 PM and I was left with one last thing on my list, “make and shoot bok choy”.

Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy- An easy and healthy side dish for the grill! // thehealthymaven.comNow anyone who has experience with food photography knows that it’s a major pain in the butt to shoot at certain hours of the day depending on what way your windows are facing. For me, shooting at 4:00 PM is not ideal. I’m not gonna be a baby about it, but I’d rather not have to set a custom white balance #foodbloggerprobs. I thought things might still be okay since this recipe is so fool-proof you can basically make it with your eyes closed, but because life is one sick joke it obviously didn’t play out that way.

Here’s where things got bad. I grabbed my bok choy, waited 10 mins for the elevator (WTF?) to take me up to the roof to do some grilling. Despite remembering to turn the gas on this time, the BBQs still wouldn’t work. So I called the concierge and insisted they bring up new propane tanks ASAP. You would think they hate me, but they’ve eaten enough THM goodies that it all cancels out.

Once the propane tanks were set-up, I got the grill going and threw on my lovely bok choy. Halfway through cooking I decided I wanted to get creative and take some outdoor shots so I sprinted to the elevator in hopes of running down to get my camera. The elevator never came. As it turns out, only one elevator for the whole building was running because the rest were being serviced for MOVING DAY. This meant running up and down 10 flights of stairs to grab my camera before the bok choy had cooked. Needless-to-say I didn’t get there before it cooked but instead found a BBQ full of blackened bok choy. whomp whomp. Luckily, I had only put half the batch on so it wasn’t entirely ruined.

Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy- An easy and healthy side dish for the grill! // thehealthymaven.comEventually I made my way back downstairs (via stairs ugh) and started setting up the shoot. Even though I was STARVED I sucked it up and decided I would get it done quickly and then reward myself with cookies and wine. But because it was one-of-those-days this also didn’t happen. Instead I was surprised with a spontaneous visit from my bestie and a 4-month old puppy. Clearly this was not the part that sucked. All I wanted to do was play with them outside but instead I was stuck hanging out with my bok choy. So I said goodbye to the puppy and sulked my sorrows in greens.

Ironically I am actually really happy with how the pictures turned out which makes me wonder if maybe all it takes is a Hangry Davs and a puppy to churn out a good shoot. What I do know is that that eventually the day came to an end and we enjoyed some Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy with my Maple Pistachio Scallops and a tall glass of wine. All was good in the world again.

Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy

• Total Time: 20 minutes

• 1 T sesame oil
  • 1 T tamari
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 7 heads bok choy
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds

1. Combine all ingredients except bok choy, salt and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
  2. Chop off ends of bok choy and add to sesame ginger mixture in bowl. Make sure all of bok choy is well coated.
  3. Coat with salt.
  4. Let sit for at least 10 mins.
  5. Heat up grill to medium heat and lay out bok choy directly onto grill. Do not crowd.
  6. Grill for 1-2 minutes on each side, making sure they do not burn.
  7. Remove from grill and top with sesame seeds.
  8. Serve warm.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 2-4 as a side

Do you ever have “one of those days?” Have you ever grilled bok choy?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

August 10, 2014 at 5:32 am

my half Asian side of my family taught me growing up that bok choy was only eaten steamed…only. They fail at life.

Glad to hear the puppy was not yours- I thought you had dognapped one…or found your true calling.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #37- Travel Tips and Recap- Rome

Amanda @ Positively Amanda
    August 10, 2014 at 8:23 am

Looks delicious!
    Amanda @ Positively Amanda recently posted…The 16 miler

August 10, 2014 at 8:30 am

haha a puppy does always make a day better! 😉 I’m intrigued by the idea of grilling bok choy – definitely haven’t tried that before!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 08/08/14.

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    August 10, 2014 at 8:43 am

I feel for you! I have those kind of days a lot. I wonder though if that’s because I’m such a perfectionist. At least you got a workout from it!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…8/10/14 Sunday Funday

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

Clearly, the moral of this story is that you need to get a puppy. Just sayin’. 🙂 Not only have I never grilled bok choy, I’ve never grilled anything before. If my rocky start in the kitchen is any indication, I suspect my first experience with a grill will involve large amounts of fire and no edible food.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Half marathon training {weekly plan}

Brittany
    August 10, 2014 at 10:18 am

Sooo, because of all the hassel you went through leading up the the feasting, everything tasted that much better right!? Or did you even taste anything in the middle of the tornado I’m sure you whirled into. Maybe that’s just me. This looks deeeelish, glad it worked out!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    August 10, 2014 at 11:39 am

I’ve never made bok choy myself. I’ve always been intimidated but it and brussel sprouts. Conquered my fear of brussel sprouts earlier this year though, so maybe it’s time to tackle the bok choy!
    Pinning this for whenever that day comes haha
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…My Top 5 Can’t-Miss-A-Post Healthy Living Blogs

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    August 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

Yum yum yum. I love bok choy but have never grilled it. I definitely have one of “those days” in general but obviously don’t spend as much time on my recipes and photos as you do. Hope the weekend got better!! 🙂
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Foodie Friday in a Flash #2: Blueberries

August 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’m pretty sure my entire month of July was one of those days. Here’s looking towards a better August though right. I can tell you that Vodka Watermelonade definitely does not suck. I also think your pictures came out really well, and now I have a new way to eat some Bok Choy, a veggie I traditionally dislike getting in the CSA. Thanks Love!

August 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Ya know… I can’t honestly say that I’ve ever had bok choy…. Hell, even my computer keeps trying to auto correct it to “boo chow” 😯 My mom steams it sometimes, but the texture has always kind of skeeved me out. Maybe it would be better grilled!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 8/10 .

August 10, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Oh – this sounds really good! I’ve only cooked with bok choy once but have been wanting to try it again!
    I think the pictures look awesome. And, think of all the extra steps you got running up and down 10 flights of stairs!!!
    Kim recently posted…Combo Moves (8/3-8/9)

August 10, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Sounds good! I love cooking with sesame seeds and sesame oil, but haven’t done so in awhile… Think I might need to whip em out of my kitchen cabinet soon!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    August 10, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Bok choyyyyyy. Vegetable of choice in a Chinese restaurant. We just grilled lots of food today too, so I should have recommended that my mom buy some bok! Next time.
    I definitely have THOSE days where I try to get everything done, and then at some point, I literally lay flat on the floor and dream about which dessert I should make to reward myself. I’m on the same wavelength as you, Davs.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fascinating Friday Links #40 + Jumping for Joy

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    August 11, 2014 at 3:01 am

I’ve had bok choy in stir fry dishes and soup but never had them grilled before. This looks delicious! Sesame and ginger are a great combo!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Friday Favorites + Apricot Chia Pudding

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    August 11, 2014 at 6:00 am

Urgh I always have ‘those says’ – Friday was one for me too! I had loads of stuff that I wanted to get done but did that happen, heck no! but then my hubby came home, I chilled out and soon just accepted the fact that I wasn’t going to get it all done!

Now got to do it today though! Ack!

Love the recipe btw! 🙂
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – Test Time!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    August 11, 2014 at 11:23 am

i love bok choy but never had it grilled before.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Juicing For Beginngers

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    August 11, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I appreciate all your efforts to get this recipe done because I love bok choy! It’s one of my favorites! The elevators in our building are terrible. They went through a nearly year-long process to upgrade them and they still are slow and breakdown all the time!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Cape Cod: The Best Beaches and Fun!

Mary @ Fit and Fed
    August 11, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Definitely a #foodbloggerproblems kind of day, I’m glad it all worked out in the end! By now everyone in my family likes bok choy, and grilling and adding sesame are two good ways to enhance it. But one of my teens once declared that he didn’t like being served so much healthy stuff like bok choy– bok choy is a great word to declare with gusto!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted…Smokey Baked Yellow Eye Beans with Bourbon

August 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm

My life is one of those days.

I haven’t grilled bok choy but these + scallops + wine sounds like the best dinner ever. I can’t wait to be you social media manager so every night can just be a dinner party.

PS Isn’t your concierge’s name Jerome? I remember him lol.
    Cassie recently posted…Running, a Love Story

Claudia
    August 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm

So delectable! That looks irresistible!
    Claudia recently posted…Roasting BBQ Grill

15 Minute Healthy Side Dish Recipes - The Healthy Maven
    March 6, 2015 at 5:03 am

[…] Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy from The Healthy Maven […]

Tiff
    March 6, 2015 at 9:43 am

This looks really good. Do you think I could roast them in the oven instead of grilling?

March 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Good question! You totally could but I don’t know exact timing. I would start around 400 in the oven and maybe 10-15 minutes and then gage from there? I have bok choy in my house right now so I’m gonna give it a try this weekend and get back to you!

18 Healthy Grilled Recipes for Father's Day | Food Done Light
    June 4, 2015 at 7:02 am

[…] The Healthy Maven – Grilled Sesame Ginger Bok Choy […]

Todd
    March 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I know I’m late to the party on this post, but what an ordeal. Way to look at it positively and I think the shots turned out really good. So, way to not beat yourself up too bad!