dinner gluten-free paleo seafood

Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops

August 5, 2014

I’m trying to get better at using Instagram. I used to love it, but in the last 6 months it’s kind of become a PITA. I’ve never put much thought into Instagram and really only use it to post behind-the-scenes pictures. While Instagram celebrities certainly do exist (hi Lexi! hi Jordan!) I am not one of them. Probably for good reason.

When I’m done a photoshoot with a recipe I’ll often whip out my phone and snap a pic. This is fun to give people a little heads up on what’s coming, but then when I do get around to posting it I have a habit of forgetting to update Instagram followers to tell them it’s up. I’m tryinggggg to get better but as soon as I open up IG I am overwhelmed by the number of pictures and end up with a serious case of FOMO forcing me to shut the app down.

Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops  An easy dinner ready in 10 minutes!-// thehealthymaven.comInstagram also enrages me. I think on many levels the healthy living blog world is changing and to a degree is no longer promoting dumb Fitspo messages like “nothing tastes as good as skinny”. Sorry, not true. But so many Instagrammers don’t seem to get this message. I swear if I see one more young girl, half-naked talking about her “transformation” story, I’m gonna lose it. Can’t we all just put our clothes back on and talk about something else?

The issue is, this works. Post a naked selfie and duhhhhh people are gonna follow. While it might be effective, I don’t intend to take this route. Instead you’re gonna get previews of recipes, my wacko made-up dinners and pictures of my boyfriend who absolutely hates when I post anything of him to Instagram (love you C!). I also seem to have a habit of taking pictures in cool places with my arms in the air…seriously, it’s weird.

Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops 2The day I get a dog is when all of this is going to change. I am going to exclusively post dog photos, pictures of adorable dog clothes and homemade doggy treats I intend to bake. Yes, said dog already has a breed and a name and I talk about hypothetical situations that will happen with this dog. I might have to change my blog name to “The Dog Maven” when this day comes. Don’t worry, he’ll be so adorable I won’t need to hashtag x 10000 to maintain my followers. In fact, I intend to be the new Toast Meets World.

But until that day comes, you won’t find me baring all my clothing, contorting my body into crazy yoga poses (quick! #stopdropandyogi!) or taking pictures of my Garmin. I think there’s enough people doing that already. I’m just gonna work on remembering to post these Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops to Instagram, and call it a day.

Rant done.

Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 5 mins

• 10 U/10 sea scallops*
  • 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tsp butter
  • salt and pepper

1. In a food processor or blender grind pistachios and garlic.
  2. Slowly add in maple syrup until a thick paste is formed.
  3. Divide paste into 10 and roll into balls.
  4. Flatten balls on top of scallops to cover tops.
  5. Heat up a large pan over medium-high heat.
  6. Add butter and melt. Butter should sizzle but not burn.
  7. Add scallops and sear for one minute.
  8. Flip and sear for another 45 seconds-1 minute making sure pan does not get too hot and burn scallops.
  9. Serve warm.

Notes

This means around 10 scallops per pound. They are bigger, but feel free to use any size.

Maple Pistachio Seared Scallops 4Thoughts on Instagram? Do you use it a lot? What do you like to see?

August 5, 2014 at 5:27 am

No selfies? TGFS. (Thank God For Snapchat).

Don’t even get me started when twats post naked selfies or follow you with transformation pictures- more like transformation from standard to twat.

Now this recipe….please tell me they were worth those $$$. And butter…oh stop.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake S’mores Protein Cookies

Lauren
    August 5, 2014 at 6:02 am

Oh my goodness Davida – these look insane – like restaurant worthy professional badmans!! I love scallops and a pairing of pistachio, garlic, butter and maple syrup – I think I am in food heaven. Instagram wise – I will admit before my detox break I used to check it all the time and loved looking at all the different photos. In the last few days I have just looked at it now and again and if I have a smoothie I want to post for the 20 millionth time – most boring instagram feed ever? 😉 . Seeing pictures of before and after riles me too… I hate to think of young impressionable girls seeing this shit and thinking their self worth is based on the tightness of their stomach… It is up to us to help get a more positive message out there!
    I too also post photos of the J man, much to his dislike haha 🙂
    Lauren recently posted…I’m Back, and With a Pledge

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    August 5, 2014 at 6:15 am

I like instagram because it is quick and easy and for the most part, to the point. I agree though that I have no use for the half naked selfies and silly food and body image messages. I don’t follow those people and try to unfollow anyone who becomes like that lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Sick Days And Waffle Ice Cream Sundaes

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    August 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

Well, I actually really like the fitness Instagram photos! Not the nakey ones, LOL but the running/yoga ones don’t bother me… Unless it’s a naked runner 😉 Maybe it’s just because I’m obsessed with Insta in general! Anyways, these scallops look amazing. I’m all about seafood (especially scallops!) at the moment and I’ve never flavored them with anything while cooking at home. I might need to change that soon!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#47 Treat Yourself Tuesday

August 5, 2014 at 7:00 am

Well crap it didn’t work then. I posted a half naked picture of myself on Instagram and didn’t get any new followers. It might have been the unhealthy (or mentally healthy…you decide) summer shandie in my hand. I also forgot to hashtag it #fitspro.

That being said, IG is my favorite social media network. Twitter enrages me and FB…well let’s just say I keep chugging away on my FB, despite my very small number of followers. Hmm, maybe I should post a half naked pic there. 🙂

I’m not a big fish eater but I do love the combination of maple syrup and pistachios. Sweet and salty in one bite. If anything could get me to try fish, it’d be this.

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    August 5, 2014 at 7:36 am

SEAFOOD……oh my GOSH, these look incredible. I am such a HUGE fan of scallops!!

And I am a weekend Instagramer. I completely forget about it during the week, but then on the weekend, when there’s tons of time and myself alone, I am always like ‘omg I need some attention!’ and post the hell out of it. It’s ok, I don’t take Social Media that seriously, which is probably why I will never be a celeb blogger 🙂
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Paleo Chocolate Banana Muffins

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite
    August 5, 2014 at 7:45 am

But #stopdropandyoga is sooo fun! 😉 I guess I’ll draw the line at naked selfies….or any selfies for that matter.
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…3 Healthy Snacks Under 3 Minutes

Arlene
    August 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

Its called DELETE them! Very easy to do. lol

Love you Blog!

August 5, 2014 at 8:27 am

I go through phases with instagram…I’ll be obsessed for a while, then I won’t look at it for ages. And yes to posting on Instagram when you get a dog…pretty sure that my feed is half Atticus.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Goal Talk: August.

August 8, 2014 at 7:06 pm

the world has no idea what’s coming when I get a puppy haha

August 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

I think you summed up all of my thoughts on Instagram in one post. If people annoy me – even if I know them in real life – I’ve started to unfollow them. Can you come to Pittsburgh/Portland and take photos of your hands in the air?? Also I need these scallops ASAP. Pinning now and making my dad buy scallops when he’s home (aka using my dad’s money to go to Whole Foods and buy scallops)… he’ll probably want you to come live with us since he already loves all your recipes and loves scallops and pistachios oh and so do I. Also I haven’t slept enough and I’m rambling. Love you xoxoxoxo (PS YOU’RE A CELEBRITY IN MY EYES)
    Cassie recently posted…My Make-Up Free Skincare Routine

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    August 5, 2014 at 8:42 am

These look divine! Love me some scallops.

And I LOVE your Instagram, people WILL follow it because your funny (hilarious) AND CUTE (so is C). I agree, it’s hard to see a million 14 year old transformation stories. I think the key is posting as much as possible, and do you 🙂 LOVE YOU! XOXOX
    Lexi @ Lexi’s Clean Kitchen recently posted…Paleo Pizza Crust: BBQ Chicken Pizza

August 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Teach me your waysssss Lex! Seriously you are such an IG stud! And without having to get naked either LOL

August 5, 2014 at 8:55 am

I love Instagram because I can get little snaps without having to read a book about them. Plus I’m friends with everybody and their mama on Facebook, and I’m pretty much only following people I don’t know in real life on Insta, so it’s more of an escape for me. I don’t post very much, though, but that’s because my life really isn’t that interesting…and I don’t have that skill where I can make it look interesting even when I’m basically doing nothing.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…In Which My Mind is Racing and I Can’t Catch Up

Leslee @ Her Happy Balance
    August 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

These look outrageously delicious. Simple and perfect. Scallops have to be one of my favorite foods. What did you plates them on? Is it bok choy or something? Cause that also looks bangin’.
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Half Marathon Training – Week 5 Recap!

GiGi Eats
    August 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

SCALLOPS….. Is there really anything negative I could ever say about these lusciously weird sea creatures?! UHHHH NO! Wait, yes…. I am pissed that they always have to be so dang expensive!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…What The Fudge?

Helen @ Scrummy Lane
    August 5, 2014 at 9:36 am

I spotted these somewhere (not on Instagram … haha!) and thought how creative they were. I love scallops anyway but certainly never seen them done like this.
    I’m with you on Instagram. I like it, but haven’t really got into the swing of using is regularly enough. To be honest my favourite Social Media is Facebook – shame it doesn’t work so well for us these days!
    Helen @ Scrummy Lane recently posted…The writing process blog tour

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness
    August 5, 2014 at 9:46 am

Preach it girl!!! i agree with everything you said about instagram and fitspo and ridiculousness. I’d rather see these pics than stupid transformation pics (especially when its someone who has gone from a 4 to 2) any freaking day. And btw- these scallops should be in a fancy restaurant. period. the end. someone needs to make that happen.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…In Boston, T is for Subway

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    August 5, 2014 at 10:01 am

Admittedly I love love love yoga instagrams. But you know how I feel about dem hashtags. I’ve been trying to use them more and THEY’RE NOT WORKING FOR ME. Whatever. I’m happy with my 20 likes lol. Also I absolutely detest half nakie ‘grams. Cannot stand. At all. And gym selfies/bathroom selfies/mirror selfies like whyyyy. Ok rant over. I’ll only eat these scallops if you make them for me yourself. I’m too afraid I’ll get food poisoning.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Wild & Wonderful Family Vacation

August 8, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I shall be your full-time hashtager and you can scroll through my feed and like everyone’s photos for me 😉

Ann
    August 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I would call myself am instagrammer! I post my meals on a daily basis dumpy because I love food, cooking, healthy lifestyle and like share and talk about it but don’t have the time to run a blog. I don’t post half naked selfies though… I don’t want to brag with my abs of steel, ya know? 😉 well, seriously, you never know where photos end up once uploaded to the WWW! My account is all about the food, balance, health, fun and a little bit about workouts 🙂

August 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Right?! I’m like appalled when I see the photos that people post on IG! I’m like what if your MOM or BOSS saw this! Then again if I had your abs of steel…LOL Gonna check out your IG now, you sound like my kind of girl 😉

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    August 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Love your words – so true!

And the scallop recipe is amazing – next time I treat myself to some I am totally making this!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Foodie Pen Pal Reveal!

Joanna @ Living Mint Green
    August 5, 2014 at 1:39 pm

You had me at pistachio. Pistachio anything is my favorite. I love IG, but I haven’t been using it much because I keep breaking my phone!!!!

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Sorrrrrry for all the stopping and dropping and yogaing! I will take it as a sign of your affection that you continue to follow me anyway. 🙂 But I agree, instagram does seem to be the last haven for the fitspo crowd, and it is obnoxious. If there is one thing guaranteed to earn an unfollow from me, it’s that nonsense.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Let’s catch up

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    August 5, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I never think to make scallops but just coincidentally made them for dinner this week! Yours is much healthier than mine…i cooked it in a butter sauce 🙁 I’ll mark this down for next time…
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Pregnancy Update and Belly Pic- Weeks 31-33

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    August 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

those half naked pictures and transformation stores and 2 bites of food on their plate – just pissed me off!!! i love scallops but never make them at home,next time i will think of this recipe.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Winner Announced + Important Notice

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    August 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I love scallops and pistachios. Brilliant combo! Lol on the garmin pics. I refuse to take them exactly because everyone does it and it annoys me!!!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…August Totally Awesome Amazon Giveaway

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    August 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with IG. I mean its fun but I’m not sure how useful it is! I just like checking out bloggers I know to find out what they are doing in real life or if they have any cool photos! I post a ridiculous amount of photos of what I’m drinking. No Idea why.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Prenatal Barre Video

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    August 5, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Instagram is actually my favorite social media platform…I mean, I made a whole speech about it. It can be kinda dangerous for me actually. I should start setting time restraints for my scrolling through my feed.
    But I agree that it can enrage me when girls focus on skinny fitspo and every single macro. I just want to bury my face in these scallops for consolation.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…The Way I See Myself Has Changed

August 6, 2014 at 12:12 am

I’ve grown to love Instagram in the last few months. My dog is totally more popular than me on it! I did a thing at the end of last year that shows you your most popular posts… not only was every single one a picture with her in it, most were just exclusively her!! Hahaha. So I suppose I’m not the only one who thinks she’s cute!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…My First Yoga Sculpt Experience

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    August 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm

The Healthy Genius- making pistachio paste to flatten onto scallops?! Seriously, how did you think of this? Let me jump into your brain, or at least act as your fake dog that gets to lick up all your amazing table scraps (weird? sorry, I went there).
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…What I Ate {#16}

August 8, 2014 at 6:17 pm

It’s funny cause I was in a crazy rush when I made these and they kind of just happened…I don’t think you want to be in my brain. It’s probably a weirdddd place to be!

My Recipe List - August!