drinks paleo

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade

August 3, 2014

Watermelon meets lemonade in this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. It’s a healthy and delicious drink recipe on a hot summer day. Sweetened naturally with fruit and a touch of honey!

How’s THAT for a name?! Screw SEO, I just couldn’t come up with watermelonade and not use it! In other news, today’s post is dedicated to the most glorious invention since indoor plumbing, the iPhone.

I seriously have no idea how I lived before the existence of a smart phone. I must have been very dumb. While it’s nice to get a break from it every now and then, when we are apart it feels like I have a phantom limb. It should be there, but it’s not.

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade // watermelon meets lemonade in this refreshing summer drink, sweetened with honey! thehealthymaven.comBesides it’s obvious uses for email, phone, text, I also depend entirely on it for answering the 132497987324 questions that pop into my head every day. Google is also something I wonder how I lived without.

Here is a prime example of why I need an iPhone with me at all times. So I’m in the grocery store picking up a watermelon. There’s 3 other ladies around me knocking on all of the watermelons trying to pick the perfect one. Of course I do the same and begin knocking away on some melons (lol). But here’s the thing, I have no idea why.

It seemed like the logical thing to do but I had no clue what I should be listening or feeling for. After knocking on about 5 of them, I decided it was time I google what the heck I was doing. Thankfully I had my trusty iPhone to answer all of life’s questions including “why should you knock on watermelons?”

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade // watermelon meets lemonade in this refreshing summer drink, sweetened with honey! thehealthymaven.comAs it turns out, to pick the perfect watermelon it should feel/sound hollow when you knock on it. You learn something new everyday! So I joined back in with my new club of melon knockers until I found the best watermelon in the bunch!

I actually live in fear of what someone might find if my phone got stolen or lost and a stranger looked up my search history. I suspect they will be somewhat astounded by the number of medical conditions I look up, A LOT of random facts about Montana (I was there 2 weeks ago and apparently very curious) and articles about English bulldogs (don’t ask…).

Now that I’ve bared some of my shameful googling habits, I’m sort of feeling like I should go hide in the corner with this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. At least I’ll have my iPhone to keep me company.

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade

PREP TIME 10 mins

• 6-7 lemons, juiced (or about 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice)
  • 2 cups watermelon, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup mint leaves
  • 12 cups water
  • 2-4 tbsp honey (more or less, to taste)

1. In a blender combine lemon juice, watermelon and mint leaves.
  2. Add to a large jug and dilute with water.
  3. Add in honey, to taste.
  4. Store in refrigerator.

Watermelon meets lemonade in this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. It's a healthy and delicious drink recipe on a hot summer day. Sweetened naturally with fruit and a touch of honey!

Are you attached to your smartphone? Tell me a random thing you’ve googled! I swear I won’t judge…

August 3, 2014 at 5:37 am

Are you attached to your smart phone? What a silly question.

Actually, I should google now how to know if my watermelon will have seeds. I had a watermelon mojito once. It was amazing and I thought I was drunk. Then the bar tender told me it was a mocktail.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #36- Travel Tips and Recap- Tokyo

Ann
      August 3, 2014 at 12:07 pm

HAHA!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    August 3, 2014 at 5:44 am

This will make you laugh – My son likes to fight with Siri and often talks to her in Hebrew. I mean, at least he has learned something at Hebrew school and bothers to use what he learns?
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Is It Really August 1st?

Joanne
    August 3, 2014 at 7:15 am

Well I personally had no idea about this knocking on watermelons method! But hey, if google says it, it must be true.

This drink is like THE most refreshing thing.
    Joanne recently posted…Apricot Frangipane Galette

Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate
    August 3, 2014 at 7:55 am

This looks so good, and I have everything right in my kitchen! Yay! This rarely happens!

I know I have looked up some pretty crazy stuff, bit my history must have been cleared not too long ago
    After watching movies, I always look up each actor in it to see what other movies they’ve been in.
    Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate recently posted…How to Get Some Exercise on Accident

August 3, 2014 at 8:32 am

If Google tells me to knock on watermelon, then I should probably do it. And one of these days, I will actually get a smartphone…eventually.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 08/01/14.

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish
    August 3, 2014 at 10:17 am

“melon knockers”… tee hee. 😀 PS. I LOVE the name watermelonade. #genius
    Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish recently posted…Hearty Breakfast Toast 2 Ways: Avo Lime + Thai Curry

Ann
    August 3, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I had to Google SEO. You’ve mentioned it several times already but I somehow always have been too lazy to look it up. Now I know 😉
    Would you suggest to use sparkling or regular water? Sparkling water would give it more of an actual lemonade feeling, wouldn’t it?

Mary Frances
    August 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Haha, yes, take a stand against SEO! Watermelonade for the win … I love this name, it needs to become a thing. And oh my gosh, I can relate too much to the iPhone incident. Waaay too much 🙂
    Pinning this perfect summer drink!
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Vegan} Key Lime Coconut Cinnamon Rolls

August 3, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Yummm! I’ve been obsessed with watermelon smoothies and juice lately. So good!

My hubby and I refer to the iPhone as “baby Jesus” because it has the answers to all questions in life hahaha

erin @ The Almond Eater
    August 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I am attached to my smartphone…ish…but I’m also really good at leaving it away from me for an hour or so at a time. The last thing I googled was the price of a flight to the UK….which isn’t THAT embarrassing. The embarrassing part is me actually thinking I could afford a flight to the UK.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Best of July 2014

August 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

This looks awesome – perfect for summer time. And, I’m thinking that it would taste pretty good with a bit of vodka if you wanted to turn it into an adult summer beverage!!!
    Pretty much any time my boys start questioning stuff my go-to is “just google it.” I always tell them that living in this time period there is really nothing we can’t figure out in just a few minutes!!!
    Kim recently posted…A Week of Fun (7/27-8/2)

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    August 4, 2014 at 5:10 am

i could SO kick back and relax with one of these lemonades right now, they look so refreshing and perfect for summer!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Caramelized Pear, Brie and Honey Tartines

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    August 4, 2014 at 6:17 am

Wow I never knew to knock on watermelon to check if they were good. Then again we only started getting watermelons in supermarkets in the UK last year!

Last random thing I googled – how long it takes to drive from Texas to Chicago! It was on a TV programme and I was convinced it would take an insanely long time, turns out only 14 hours! Mind blown!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – BOOM!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    August 4, 2014 at 8:58 am

“Phantom limb”➔ hit the nail on the head. Even when I don’t NEED my iPhone, I still feel a little lost without it. Google is a lifesaver when you hear a loud creature sound in your neighborhood. A while ago, I looked up “loud bellowing noise animal night swamp” and found that our niehgborhood lake was filled with bullfrogs, not whales like I originally thought.
    P.S. this watermelonade is summer at its finest.!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Tamales, Kittens, and Lizards, Oh My!

Alicia K
    August 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I’m so attached to my smart phone, but my smart phone acts up so much…it’s pretty dumb. I only use it to read blogs and check out instagram and the occasional phone calls. It’s great when it actually works though to keep me entertained on my train ride to work.
    Also I love this recipe! As soon as I find a watermelon small enough for 1 person…or actually have people over maybe I can try it out.
    Alicia K recently posted…#100daysofhappy

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    August 4, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Ha! I love love love this watermelonade! I need to make it! We make so much fun of my mom because she claims she came up with the idea of the iPhone but it was already invented and she just didn’t know about it. Seriously, how is this woman!? I Google so many random things! Medical conditions is definitely one of them and these days, any and all things related to pregnancy.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Yoga with Tara Stiles at Reebok FitHub Union Square

August 4, 2014 at 10:51 pm

So I love this beverage and I think I would like it even more with some vodka. I’ve made watermelon mojitos before but I’m digging the sound of watermelonade vodka, partially because I’m out of rum and also because I love lemons.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Currently: August 2014

August 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

I pray that if I die no one looks at my google search history because I google THE DUMBEST STUFF. I actually used to google basically everything when J and I first started talking because I wanted to look smart and knowledgeable so I would fact-check everything. Now that we’re dating I don’t have to pretend to be smart anymore (kidding). Sometimes I don’t want to carry my phone with me but I KNOW I’ll need it to look something up… that’s why we’re the same person. xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…My Make-Up Free Skincare Routine

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    August 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Love the name watermelonade! Not to mention it sounds like my PERFECT summertime drink. I totally always google how to know if fruit is ripe when i’m at the market 🙂 My trick with watermelon is actually to buy the half or quarter melons since they you can actually SEE what you’re getting, plus I can never finish a whole melon myself before it goes bad.
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Pregnancy Update and Belly Pic- Weeks 31-33

Amanda Lohrenz
    August 6, 2014 at 4:58 pm

This drink looks so refreshing! All I need is a hammock in the shade to going along with it 🙂
    Amanda Lohrenz recently posted…I Scream for Ice Cream

August 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I’ll bring the drinks, you bring the hammock and you have yourself a deal 😉

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    August 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Aw man Davs reading that story of watermelons knocking made me lol. I am horrible for googling my symptoms. Usually “why is my pee red?” It’s not bladder cancer just too many beets 😛
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Vegan in British Columbia: Memorable Eats

August 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm

oh helllllyaaaa I have SO done that! Or the time my mouth turned blue and I thought I had some crazy disease and it was just food colouring. That was an awks convo with the doc…

Bridges Through Life | Productive Weekend: MIMM #11
    August 30, 2014 at 2:16 pm

[…] that blurry photo in the middle is. Saturday I had also made some mint watermelonade, inspired by The Healthy Maven. I was planning to follow her recipe, but then I just had some lemonade, so I didn’t do the […]

34 {Non Alcoholic} Refreshing Summer Beverages