dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers

August 24, 2014

One thing I failed to mention in my Cons of Blogging post is how you must be overwhelmingly organized and planful to be successful at blogging. If you know me well, you know I am neither of these things. Don’t get me wrong, I am very clean but you’re not about to find me colour-coordinating my t-shirts. I’m lucky if I fold them!

A lot of bloggers stress the importance of having a content calendar which outlines exactly what you plan to post on each day for the coming weeks and sometimes months. To be a part of the cool club, I too have a content calendar. The problem is that I can never seem to follow it.

Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers- a flavourful veggie burger packed full of plant protein and greens! // thehealthymaven.com #vegetarian #burgerI suppose on some level it keeps me on track but I’m very quick to bump something or swap things around because I cannot wait to post it! And then there are other times when something gets pushed back because it doesn’t feel like the right time to post it. This is precisely what happened with these Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers.

Please don’t ask me what might be considered a “right” time to post veggie burgers because I truly have to response.

Sometimes things come up and you find yourself using your last zucchini in chocolate muffins. Other times your main man requests some coffee-rubbed steak  for dinner so trying to swap in a black burger in place of beef just isn’t gonna cut it. And other times you cannot for the life of you remember where you wrote down your to-do list…just me?

Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers 2I used to be a pretty uptight person but over the years have significantly chilled out. This is not to be confused with low-maintenance, something I definitely am NOT, but I’m much better able to run with the punches than I used to be. Occasionally this may lead to taking 2 months to post these Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers. C’est la vie.

Do I think you need to be on top of yo shiznat to be a successful blogger? yes. But I also think you need to be flexible and okay with things not going according to plan. Then again I just said “shiznat”, so what do I know?!

Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

• 2 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini), squeezed of excess liquid
  • 2 T ground flax
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Take 3/4 of black beans (about 1 1/2 cups) and add to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or back of a fork until it has formed a sticky paste.
  3. Add in remainder of black beans, grated zucchini, flax, garlic and spices and use hands to mix together.
  4. Form into 5 patties. Do not flatten too much. Should be thick.
  5. Place patties on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and bake for 10 mins.
  6. Remove and flip. If patty breaks slightly, push back together using hands.
  7. Bake for another 10 minutes.
  8. Serve warm with desired toppings. I ate mine in a gluten-free burger bun.

Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers- a flavourful veggie burger packed full of plant protein and greens! // thehealthymaven.com #vegetarian #burgerWould you consider yourself an organized person? Any tips to helping me organize better? Besides hiring Meghan of course…

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    August 24, 2014 at 5:11 am

1 – I really like the recipe for these burgers because they aren’t loaded with fillers. I love my oats but not when they are overused in burgers because sometimes it’s just too much binding and you lose flavor that can come from a good veggie burger. 2 – I do not use a calendar to organize my posts. I write stuff down but like you, I would be busy moving everything around because as much as I am a planner, I do not overplan my posts in advance because for me, it wouldn’t be natural and I try to be super real and in the moment with my posts.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Egg-Free French Toast

August 24, 2014 at 5:17 am

We need to hire Meghan. Or just feed her potatoes and cheese. Well, I’ll feed her cheese. She doesn’t need a lactose filled Davs.

I’m totally copycatting you with a spicy veggie burger recipe this week. But my pictures look like [insert word you referred to last time….legit lol] so no fear. Spiralise a burger.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #39- Travel recap and Tips- San Francisco

Kate
    August 24, 2014 at 8:38 am

I totally feel you on being “clean” but disorganized. Who has time to color code their shirts?
    These look yummy and I love the ingredient list- short and sweet (or spicy?)
    Kate recently posted…Embracing adulthood: Part II

Lauren
    August 24, 2014 at 8:55 am

Veggie burgers with minimal ingredients – so making these bad boys!!
    I think you hit the nail on the head – be organised but have room for flexibility – boom!
    Lauren recently posted…Croatia Recap

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 24, 2014 at 9:10 am

My real life bestie whipped up some veggie burgers for me at my post-bar exam BBQ celebration. They were amazing, and when I asked her what was in them I was so surprised when she said zucchini! I had never seen a recipe that used it, so I asked her for it. Unfortunately, she made it up as she went and wrote nothing down, so I assumed it was lost forever. All of that is to explain why I was so excited to see this post and can’t wait to try it next time I’m craving veggie burgers.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…One more week of freedom {weekly plan}

August 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

I’m pretty sure it’s shiznit. Not shiznat. I don’t even know what shiznat is. Is that like some kind of new found shiz? Or is just a bunch of nitty natty? Eh, no matter.

I cannot adhere to a blogging schedule. It’s weird and counterintuitive to my normally organized, hyper OCD lifestyle, but I can’t do it. I mainly write on the fly so I just have to wait and feel it. For example, I have a post started on yoga which I’m thinking I’ll publish tomorrow. The rest of the week is wide open and is the rest of the month and the next and the next. I have some ideas but nothing concrete. Talk about fly by the seat of your pants, huh?!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    August 24, 2014 at 10:51 am

I want these tonight and yay, I have all of the ingredients!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Cherry Almond Compote + Van’s Giveaway

August 24, 2014 at 11:09 am

You cray! I couldn’t live without my calendar and planner. I used to blog on the fly and it was -way- too stressful and haphazard. Now I’ve got things planned out for the next couple of weeks, but it’s more of a general idea than anything else. What I find works best is having certain days designated for certain posts, but leaving them pretty open for whatever might come up.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 8/24 .

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    August 24, 2014 at 1:48 pm

This is my life. I’ve been attempting to post a recipe for weeks and I keep forgetting to take pictures. This weekend I planned to make a new batch – just for pictures – and ended up making something totally different. Sigh.
    I started using the editorial calendar this weekend, but it’s really just somewhere to jot down my post ideas, because I keep losing the pieces of paper that I write them on.
    I swear- I’d lose my head if it wasn’t attached.
    p.s. Burgers look amazing- pinning 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 Things on my Blog To-Do List

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    August 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Oh well, I’m definitely not a really succesful blogger, but seeing that I’m the most unorganised, unclean and messy persion ever, I guess I’m not all that bad of a blogger looooooool. Eeerrrmmm yes, calendar? What’s that? Can I eat it?
    Tell me that I can eat a dozen of these burgers at least. Ohhh gosh, they look so delish!
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Cauliflower Nuggets

August 24, 2014 at 7:44 pm

It’s been a while since I had a good black bean burger – these look great!

I’m pretty organized in the sense that I like to-do lists, but I can be so disorganized too. I can never stick to a blogging schedule, I suck at staying on top of emails, and my bedroom is always a disaster. 😛
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Chelsea lately

August 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I am pretty organized – another reason that we would be great together – you could cook and I will color code EVERYTHING!!! Not gonna lie – sharing a closet with Chris is hard because he doesn’t totally share my closet standards!!!
    Kim recently posted…Running, running, running (8/17-8/23)

Sarah Pie
    August 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I love sticking things in a calendar just so I don’t forget to post them (like the muffins from december that I just now found). That being said things never stay where I put them so I appreciate a little flexibility too. And speaking of appreciation I am all over these burgers! I didn’t get any zuchinni this week but you can bet if theres one in my next CSA box I’ll be whipping these up 🙂
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Peanut Butter Breakfast Balls- Recipe Redux

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    August 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm

If I get too organized, I end up getting WAY too uptight and anxious if I don’t follow my schedule to the T. So I use a planner, I put my reminders on, but I don’t stress if things (except for the really important things) don’t go quite as planned. My current college motto is “let it rock.” Like these black bean burgers. Mmmm deliver some to Boston?
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Boston-Bound + Fascinating Friday Links #41

Brittany
    August 24, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I’ve made many bean burgers in my day, but NEVER with zucchini. Must make these. STAT. Super jazzed cause I went through an entire can of beans again tonight. I’m on a roll.
    Brittany recently posted…An Alpine Lake Stole My Heart

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    August 25, 2014 at 11:26 am

I hear ya! i have a content calendar but I’m always changing things around. The worst is when you have so many things planned out that you don’t pay attention to your calendar only to realize that you have nothing to post about for tomorrow!!! Hate those days. Generally I’m pretty organized but I have so many things going on that sometimes things slip through the cracks!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…One Day in Martha’s Vineyard

August 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I’m organized and unorganized all at once. I write a ton of to-do lists and don’t follow them. I should also start to make other things more of a priority… like making/shooting recipes instead of just reading blogs all day. Whoops.
    Cassie recently posted…Coconut Oil, Honey and Sea Salt Popcorn

What I Ate Thursday | Hummusapien
    August 28, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] was a black bean veggie burger, some roasted portobello mushrooms, broccoli, and sweet potatoes (with hummus, ketchup, and mustard […]

Back-to-School Recipe Round Up | Mango About Town
    September 2, 2014 at 5:00 pm

[…] Spicy Zucchini and Black Bean Burgers via The Healthy Maven […]

71 Zucchini recipes - Dietitian without Borders
    September 12, 2014 at 4:00 am

[…] Spicy Zucchini black bean burgers – The Healthy Maven […]

10 Low Fat Gluten Free Vegan Entrees Ready in Under 45 Minutes
    October 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm

[…] The Healthy Maven, Edible Perspective, Eat Spin Run […]

John Fisher
    July 27, 2015 at 8:25 am

Now that looks like something I would like to try. I love Morning Star Spicey Black Bean Burgers, so this burger would probably make a nice diversion.
    John Fisher recently posted…Protected: Certainty in Uncertain Times-EMail jfisher767@gmail.com for password

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    May 17, 2016 at 8:50 am

These sound divine! I LOVE veggie burgers, but sometimes they have 10 different kinds of vegetables in them, which I just don’t have lying around at home on a weeknight when I get the urge to whip up a veggie burger for tomorrow. These are perfect! With simple and not too many indgredients, and they are baked in the OVEN!! Yay! Perfetto! 😀 Can’t wait to try these this weekend, I have some zucchini waiting at home. 😉
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole