best of

Best Of September 2014

October 1, 2014

As I mentioned in my post last week on Some Changes, I won’t be posting as often on THM. Yes, I am very sad about this but sacrificing my own health to keep up with blogging is not ideal with anyone.

Despite my reluctance to pull back, I’m actually enjoying it more than I thought.I feel way less pressure to post and my blogging schedule feels more adaptable i.e. Sunday, Tuesday, Friday + Monday OR Wednesday IF I feel like it. Today I felt like posting…

best of septemberLike every other month this year, September flew by. In putting together this post I realized that while I may not have had the most exciting month, I still feel like I learned a lot. This learning has more to do with behind-the-scenes of THM rather than obvious developments you might see in posts. I’m learning how to run a small business, find balance between work and life and expand my photography portfolio beyond food.

I suspect October will also involve a whole lot of learning too! But before we welcome October, let’s recap some highlights from September.

Your sept favs

The morning I woke up to find this Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal in my slow cooker I knew it was going to be your favourite this month!

Slow-Cooker Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal - an easy breakfast made from wholesome ingredients but tastes like apple pie! // thehealthymaven.comBuying a sprializer is worth it if only for these Crispy Baked Curly Fries.

Crispy Baked Curly Fries - An easy two step process for the perfect crispy potatoes // thehealthymaven.com #glutenfree #vegan #spiralizerDIY Pumpkin Spice, because not having access to pumpkin spice should be a sin + a round-up of my fav Healthy Fall Snacks from around the web!

collage-facebookI can refer you to at least 10 people who will vouch for these blondies. Don’t believe me? Start with Lee.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies - A #glutenfree and #vegan dessert for the Fall Foodie // thehealthymaven.com #recipe5 Investments Worth Making In your Blog aka the most useful post on blogging that I have ever written. Sometimes you gotta spend!

5 Investments Worth Making For Your Blog

my sept favsNot only is this the creamiest hummus I have ever tried, but it also saved me the 10 mins I spend at the grocery store trying to decide which hummus I want to buy.

Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus - a delicious and seasonal hummus for fall! // thehealthymaven.comI started a new series called Maven’s Cravins and Favourite Things. No, you won’t be receiving a free car at the end of the post but hopefully you’ll discover a few things you like for Fall!

Fall Fashion Favs // thehealthymaven.comI swear I’m working…even if I’m working from my bed.

A-day-in-the-lifeI’ve been told this recipe for Hearty Lentil & Swiss Chard Soup was a hit at quite a few Rosh Hashanah dinners and can also cure your cold!

Hearty Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup - a veggie and protein-packed soup that's perfect for Fall! // thehealthymaven.com #healthy #recipeThat time I launched a shop! Eeeeeee I’m still so excited about it. Have you checked it out???

check it out

From the fall archivesI wanted to highlight some Fall recipes from previous years that I thought could use some lovin’. Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to be so innovative and could just cook/bake all of my old recipes over and over again!

coming up in oct

-Halloween! Bring on the sweet treats.

-Soups, soups and more soups. I hope you like soup. If not, something is wrong with you..sorry.

-A guest post on a topic I think you all will find interesting. Hint: The guest poster’s name starts with the letter C.

-More items added to the shop! Bear with me as I add more.

-A visit from two very special people 🙂

I know I’ve been very allusive about some of the other projects I am working on, and in time I’ll share more. In the meantime, stalk my Instagram for more behind-the-scenes deets!

What were your September highlights? Anything exciting coming up in October?

October 1, 2014 at 5:26 am

I cannot wait for your big reveal. It’s time for the world to know that the A at the end of Davida only came about in 2005.

Mostly, I cannot wait for your visit from a very special hot tottie in November. Thanksgiving.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…From Dinner to Dinner

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    October 1, 2014 at 5:53 am

I can not wait to hear about your new projects!!
    And I want to visit you too 🙁
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…A day in my life on a road trip – WIAW#78

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    October 1, 2014 at 5:59 am

Oops, I don’t like soup lol. Well, no, I do once I am eating it I just never really want it. But I like when my ice cream melts and gets soupy, does that count?
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW- October Happenings

October 1, 2014 at 9:54 am

I want to come visit this month! Also, you may have some other exciting plans this month… or next month.. dun dun dunnnnn.
    Cassie recently posted…Why I’m Jealous of Non-Runners

Ann
    October 1, 2014 at 10:33 am

My September was rather non-special. I had a very nice internship though where I’ve learnt a lot.
    October will be much better though! I’m flying to L.A. next Sunday and will stay there for 3 weeks, with trips to Las Vegas and San Francisco, of course!! I’m more than excited and cannoooot wait! I’m so curious to eat my way through the cities… I’m a foodie after all!

Umm, will that guest post maybe be about something like “WHat’s it like to live with a foodie blogger”? 😀

October 1, 2014 at 12:09 pm

That’s so exciting!!! I’ll be in SF in November! It’s too bad we’re just missing each other 🙁

October 1, 2014 at 11:24 am

I know what you mean about wanting to go back and fawn over past recipes! Happens to me all.the.time. And September was my favourite. Going back to school and coaching have been two highlights 😀
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. monthly favourites – september 2014 .

Jodie @ SourceONENutrition
    October 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am here to publicly vouch for the blondies, AGAIN 🙂
    Jodie @ SourceONENutrition recently posted…Fall Foods to Fight Cold and Flu

Mary Frances
    October 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

Gah those fries and those blondies. I die. You had a ridiculously delicious September! And I loved your Maven’s Cravin’s too 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Vegan and Gluten Free} Ginger Walnut Apple Pie Bars

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

You sure had an awesome month!!! Lot’s of yummy stuff, I want to make ASAP. That lentil soup looks so thick, hearty and warming- love lentils in soup. And those curly fries are too cute! Love your shop idea- it’s a goal for me to get one up too.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Recent Eats

Emily
    October 1, 2014 at 11:45 am

The DIY pumpkin spice is a game-changer. Just sayin’!
    Emily recently posted…San Francisco Ultimate Women’s Expo Recap

October 1, 2014 at 11:51 am

I’m sure you can guess what I’m looking forward to in October! But I can also throw Thanksgiving, my birthday, and Halloween in there. Basically, it’s going to be a crazy month.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Banana Protein Pancake.

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    October 1, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I am so excited for a guest post from this C character 😉 I love getting inside scoop and behind the scenes jazz for your blog, because I’m a total creep and all. Stellar line up of recipes again this month. You truly are a rock star!

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    October 1, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Excited to hear about all your new projects! Watching your blog grow is such a treat! 🙂
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…BodyVive For Pregnancy

October 1, 2014 at 3:17 pm

It’s so cool that you launched a shop lady! Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your new blogging schedule. Happy that you’re finding a good balance of things!

Butternut squash hummus sounds like a fab idea — I’m always whipping up hummus but have not tried that combo yet! My go-to is roasted red pepper or garlic hummus. YUM.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Hiking & Camping on Catalina Island

GiGi Eats
    October 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm

MAKE A GIGI APPROVED HALLOWEEN TREAT! Yes Yes Yes! DO IT! 🙂 And then I will make it into a video and it will be like you’re there with me!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Joan Rivers: A Toast To You!

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    October 2, 2014 at 9:15 am

I wish I could work from bed everyday or from home so I wouldn’t spend 2hours a day sitting in traffic. I feel like it’s such a waste of my time.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…No Bean Pumpkin Hummus + Paleo, Whole 30 for Dummies

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I bought my first can of pumpkin OF THE SEASON last night. That f’ing thing was $5!!! <– when did that happen?! So now I need to choose my desserts wisely. The blondies are happening tonight/tmrw though. Woo!!!

October 3, 2014 at 8:40 am

This my friend is a travesty! I blame Amanda for hoarding all the pumpkin in your province and causing the prices to skyrocket!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    October 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Yum! So many tasty recipes!!!
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Hiking to See the Aspens in Vail

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    October 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

Thanks for the round up! These recipes look great.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…10/3: Friday’s Favorite Things

air filters Home
    October 5, 2014 at 7:51 pm

My relatives every time say that I am wasting my time here at net, but I know I
    am getting familiarity everyday by reading thes nice content.
    air filters Home recently posted…air filters Home