dinner gluten-free paleo seafood

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon

October 17, 2014

Almost a year ago I downloaded a program that would change my life, Photoshop.

How dramatic.

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon - a heart-healthy dinner packed full of flavour and nutrition with only two steps required, marinate and bake!I know Photoshop gets a lot of flack for its abuse in mainstream media, but in my case it has been incredibly useful. Mainly because I’m not trying to make a normal sized girl look emaciated and instead am optimizing pictures of food.

Am I digitally altering food to make it look like something it is not? Absolutely NO! I use it more for those days when the sun refuses to come out or is too bright making the lighting and the colours in the photos look “off”. That was the case with the photoshoot from this Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon which led to a blueish tint in all of the pictures. Thankfully Photoshop to the rescue because salmon definitely shouldn’t look blue…

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon 2I also love it for adding text to my photos. I’m still working on finding THM’s fonts (the whole branding thing is way over my head) but it is kind of fun to play around. This ends up being an issue because as soon as I think I’ve found “the fonts” I discover a new one and change my mind.

Learning how to use Photoshop and pair fonts has made me far more aware of graphics and branding that I see around me. I’ll find myself making mental notes about an advertisement in the subway or shouting things like “BenchNine!” when I recognize a font on TV credits. And then I think to myself “who AM I?”

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon - a heart-healthy dinner packed full of flavour and nutrition with only two steps required, marinate and bake!I remember the first time I opened Photoshop and how overwhelmed I felt. I had zero background in design and the extent of my editing skills started and finished with iPhoto (aka moving around the saturation bar and hoping for the best). Fast forward one year and I find myself shooting freelance food photography and editing photos for brands other than myself.

The greater lesson here is that it’s good to test your boundaries and try out things you never think you will master. Learning to use a program like photoshop has given me the confidence to take on projects that I never thought I would have been able to tackle before. It’s a pretty great feeling. Today I challenge you to try something new!

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon

Cook Time 1 hour 1 min
Total Time 1 hr 1 min
Serves 2     adjust servings

• 2 large pieces of salmon
  • 1 T olive oil
  • juice, 1 lemon
  • 1 T white wine vinegar
  • 2 green onions, whites chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 artichoke hearts, chopped (I use canned, in water)
  • salt and pepper

1. In a large bowl combine olive oil, lemon, and vinegar.
  2. Add in onions, garlic and artichokes.
  3. Place two pieces of salmon in a shallow bowl or pan and top with mixture. Top with salt and pepper.
  4. Marinate in fridge for 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  6. Place salmon and marinade into a baking dish and bake for 15 mins or until inside is no longer pink (mine took 15, yours may take less or more depending on size of salmon).
  7. Remove from oven and serve warm.

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon - a heart-healthy dinner packed full of flavour and nutrition with only two steps required, marinate and bake!What’s something new that you tried that you never thought you could do? Tell me something you would like to learn how to do!

October 17, 2014 at 6:22 am

Add photoshop to the list of GWNTD. (Work that out!).

PS. Legit after this arvo, there was a Harry Potter announcement. First Shashushka, then Harry Potter. We must be voodoo psychics.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Crispy Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    October 17, 2014 at 6:58 am

LOVE salmon and this looks incredible. Your food photos look really amazing. It’s definitely tough to make some things look good no matter how delicious they are, but you clearly know what you’re doing!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Fall Flavors Frittata: Kabocha Apple Bacon

erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 17, 2014 at 7:27 am

I avoided Photoshop in college because I assumed I would be bad at it. …..talk about LACK OF confidence, I know. I still wouldn’t consider myself an expert (and currently haven’t been using it….long story….hoping to get it back soon), BUT I’m a firm believer that it can enhance photos when the natural lighting isn’t cooperating. Yay for NOT having blue salmon!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    October 17, 2014 at 8:26 am

I’m taking a photoshop course in school this year and I had to finally buy it. Best decision I ever made 😀
    I really didn’t think I’d be good at half the things I do for my blog but once I stepped out of my comfort zone and took the plunge, everything started falling into place. So weird how that happens!
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Pumpkin Pancake Loaf

October 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

I have a love/hate relationship with Photoshop. I took a class in it for work last summer (you’re talking to a certified introductory Photoshop editor here! hahaha) and am loving how it is helping to improve my blogging photography editing skills, but on the other hand, it can be so time consuming and it drives me a little nuts sometimes!

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    October 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’m glad the salmon isn’t blue. Definiteliy more appetizing 😉 I love love love the idea of lemon and artichoke with salmon and will have to try this out!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…What I Ate: Portugal

Ann
    October 17, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Not only do I love artichokes and salmon (never have paired them though) so thank you for the recipe. But also thank you for the inspirational post! I’m starting maths classes soon and I’m so scatted of it because I think I won’t make it. I have to do the best I can and hope for the best. For maths it’s pretty good to know how to work with Excel. This is another challenge that I have to accomplish. I have no clue how it works but I hope worth the help of my bf and online tutorials I’ll get behind it!

Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde
    October 17, 2014 at 1:11 pm

First of all, YUM. Second of all… the “moving around the saturation bar and hoping for the best” about iPhoto literally made me laugh out loud and now people in Coffee Bean are staring at me. I STILL need to download Photoshop… I am even more of a design newb than you. I am a PicMonkey girl for now, which works pretty darn well. PS… the blue salmon epidemic has happened to me in photos too. NOT appealing!
    Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde recently posted…Recovery Series #6 // Chocolate Covered Katie

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Um, this is going to sound incredibly sappy, but I never thought I’d be able to fully open my heart & create something magicalal with another human being. Even though it can be slightly terrifying at times, I’m doing it anyway. It’s worth the risk!

Photoshop me into your life.

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 17, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Do you like how I spelled magical?
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…Thug Kitchen, A Running Surprise & Tacos

Annmarie
    October 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

This looks amazing! Salmon is one of my favorite things to eat but I rarely make it because my hubby isn’t a fan but this would be perfect for dinner guests!
    Annmarie recently posted…Foodie Friday: Shrimp & Scallop Bisque over Pasta

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 17, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I’ve been in this weird phase where I have an aversion to salmon (possibly because I have 3 bags of it in my freezer that my ex left there and I am overwhelmed bahaha) but I have a feeling this can fix that..

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    October 18, 2014 at 12:26 am

First of all, YUM.
    Secondly, I’m pretty proud of myself for learning how to…blog. I mean, I’m still within the fence of wordpress templates and such, but I’m happy that I’ve gotten a hang of the blogging process as a whole. That being said, I hope I keep learning how to improve little moves and grooves.
    I want to learn how to do a dang handstand.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Virtual Breakfast Date

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    October 18, 2014 at 5:04 am

Salmon is a weeknight staple for dinner in my household and I am always looking for new ways to cook it. You can definitely consider I will be recreating your baked lemon and artichoke version, looks and sounds really delicious.
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Pierre Herme’s Viennese Chocolate Sables

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    October 18, 2014 at 10:43 am

LOVE this post and love this recipe! I remember always taking my photos with an iphone and posting non edited pictures that looked blurry! It’s so crazy to look back on them lol and to be honest I do not have the full hang of lightroom and food photography yet, I’m still learning and probably always will be! It’s always fun to see other bloggers grow and know that we all started somewhere!
    And on another note, this salmon. You know the way to my heart! Pinning!!
    Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com recently posted…Prosciutto Breakfast Scramble Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Aioli

October 18, 2014 at 12:14 pm

At least 2 of the 3 boys I live with would love that salmon – might have to try it soon!!!
    I’m sort of scared to even attempt photoshop – mostly when Chris mentions using it for something I call it photo chop because I feel like that is what I need to do (chop stuff out of my pictures!!).
    Kim recently posted…Almost Skipped a Day (10/12 – 10/18)

GiGi Eats
    October 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I’m not really a LEMON fan, however, I am the BIGGEST and I MEAN BIGGEST SALMON FAN and ARTICHOKE FAN…. That I would plow through this in no time… Add a few olives and…. Oh man, you don’t want to know what sort of total destruction may erupt!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…A “Zesty” Take on Eclairs!

October 19, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I used to eat fish weekly and now I can’t even remember the last time I ate it. Adding this to the menu for this week!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Are “healthy choices” on restaurant menus actually healthy?

October 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I love the combination of artichokes and lemon. Always have; always will. I did recently learn though artichokes are good for curing hangovers. I think I need to test this theory.

October 21, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I seriously need to learn photo shop. Maybe since I won’t have a life/friends in SF it’s something I can pick up haha… at least during those hours all my East Coast friends are sleeping 🙂
    Cassie recently posted…Slow Cooker Banana Chai Steel Cut Oatmeal

Anna Kriegel
    February 27, 2015 at 8:04 am

made this last night IT WAS AMAZING!!!

Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon ‹ Hello Healthy
    March 2, 2015 at 10:30 am

[…] this refreshing salmon recipe from The Healthy Maven, which features baked flaky salmon on a bed of tangy artichokes. Salmon is a delicious source of […]

jan
    March 9, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Do you put the marinade in the oven with the salmon?

March 10, 2015 at 8:27 am

Yes. Sorry, I fixed the instructions to make this clearer. Enjoy!

jan
        March 10, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Thanks! I made this last night and guessed that the marinade went in the oven too… It was really good!

25 of the Best Healthy Baked Fish Recipes - My Natural Family