dessert Fall gluten-free paleo pies

Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble

October 7, 2014

It’s crazy to think about how a year ago I was right in the middle of my baking course. It’s also crazy to think I was working full-time in a hospital looking at baby brains, but that’s a topic for another day…

The other day C asked me if I would do another baking or cooking course (mostly because I think he wants me to come home with cakes and pies weekly) and I was probably too quick to say no.

Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble - a delicious and #grainfree dessert for ONE! #healthy #recipeDon’t get me wrong, I loved the course but it was pretty exhausting to stand in the kitchen for 4 hours after an 8-hour workday. Major kudos to chefs who are standing in the kitchen day and night!

While I would love to continue my learning in the kitchen, I know that right now would not be the right time for me to take on another project. But in reflecting on my experience in Baking 101 I came to realize that I learned so much more than just how to bake.

A lot of people talk about how baking is a science, and yes it is but one of the main lessons I learned from my instructor is the importance of going with the flow. Your piping may not be perfect, your cupcakes may be a little sunken and your pie may look a little “rustic” (her words!) but it’s not worth it to stress over it. 90% of the time you can top something with sprinkles and no one has to know!

Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble - a delicious and #grainfree dessert for ONE! #healthy #recipeSo this single- serve grain-free apple-crumble doesn’t look perfect. The coconut sugar made it a little too brown and I may have slightly burned my first attempt, but it’s all good! It tasted awesome and it was made with a whole lot of love. I’ll save the stress for something else.

Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble

Cook Time 35 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp coconut palm sugar-divided (brown sugar works too)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp tapioca starch (any starch will work)
  • 2 T almond meal
  • 1 tsp cold butter (coconut oil works too)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Spray a 5 ounce ramekin or bake-proof dish with nonstick spray, coconut oil or butter.
  3. In a bowl combine apple, 1 tsp coconut palm sugar, cinnamon and tapioca starch. Add to ramekin.
  4. In a separate bowl combine almond meal, 1 tsp coconut palm sugar and butter and mix until crumbly (I used my hands!). Top onto apples in ramekin.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.

This Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble makes a delicious + grain-free dessert for one! No need to be tempted by a whole batch with this easy dessert recipe!Do you ever find yourself stressing in the kitchen? What type of baking or cooking course would you take?

October 7, 2014 at 5:21 am

Woo for single serve desserts. I think the fact that it has it’s ‘flaws’ shows emotion 😉

I still remember that picture of you with a bakers hat.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Carrot Cake

Laurie
    October 7, 2014 at 6:17 am

Yum. Crumbles are my favorite….cinnamon…..YUM. Will have to try this. We went apple picking on Sunday and kiddo wanted a caramel apple. The line was ridiculously long, so he looked at me with those kiddo eyes (which are 6 weeks away from being teenager eyes and asked…”Mom, if we can’t wait in line for a caramel apple, will you make caramel when we get home?” I’m a sucker for such a request. Apples dipped in homemade caramel are easier to eat anyway. Thanks for the “clean” crumble recipe. Will definitely try it.

Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    October 7, 2014 at 6:25 am

They say baking is a science but I do find that I can go with my own flow and not measure so closely yet still come out with something yummy. I haven’t taken a baking course but there were times that I was about to sign up for those cake decorating classes just for fun. But I realized I care more about baking something tasty than how it looks. I have no patience for decorating and frosting myself.
    Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Blog Plagiarism

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    October 7, 2014 at 6:47 am

Single servings are the best for a bed time snack! Made a big version of something very similar recently and it was delicious. Love the idea.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…10 Beauty Rules I Don’t Follow Anymore

Tina muir
    October 7, 2014 at 6:57 am

I don’t think I knew you did a bakers course, but that has always been a dream of mine, so I am very jealous! These are adorable, and apple crumbles have a special place in my heart as my dad used to make them (well still does, I am just not there to enjoy them). I love that they are individual servings, that would help stop me get carried away with portion sizes like I usually do!
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Vegetable and Sweet Potato Cakes

Lee
    October 7, 2014 at 7:23 am

I’ll take 5 of these and a side of popcorn, please.
    Lee recently posted…Maple Tamari Glazed Pork Roast

erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 7, 2014 at 7:24 am

I’m on this ishhhhh and all single serve desserts actually. …annnnnnd about food not looking pretty. It’s the taste that counts (thank god).
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    October 7, 2014 at 8:11 am

I used to spend wayyy too long baking things because I thought everything had to be perfect— no spills on the sides of the cupcake tin, everything sifted, everything chopped to be exactly the same size… I got caught up in the details and forgot that baking is fun! Now I’m happy to say that baking is my therapy. I miss it.
    And I’m totally making this apple crumble for me, myself, and I (and whoever else wants it 😉 ) when I get back to a kitchen!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Trying New Things…Like Horror Movies

Sam @ PancakeWarriors
    October 7, 2014 at 8:19 am

Oh baking class sounds so fun (just not after working all day!). I love single serving things – I’m usually craving something and one serving is all I need! This sounds pretty simple to compose and tasty (hello Apple goodness). Thanks for sharing and I love when pies are rustic!!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Homemade Candy Bars

October 7, 2014 at 8:28 am

I am happy to hop on the Fall train when it involves apples, imperfect and all.

In fact, I think the apples with bumps, bruises and warts are more often than not the most flavorful. Think of their backstory too. Nobody wants a perfect princess apple, a diva in disguise, demanding the additional brown sugar and butter, without lifting a finger to get it herself. We want apples that have lived a little and worked for their crunchy texture and explosive flavor. We want apples with character dammit.

Yes, I am still talking about apples. I think.

Leah
    October 7, 2014 at 8:33 am

Can the palm sugar be replaced with maple syrup or another ‘non-sugar’ substitute?

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    October 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

Single serving recipes are my favourite. Then I don’t have to figure out how to eat an entire pie without feeling guilty. Also, semi-failed baked goods build character. Imagine if nothing ever went wrong? We’d all be such know-it-alls lol
    p.s. cute shoes
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Gym selfies, social media, pumpkin and more

Sarah PIe
    October 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

That “extra brown” color totally happened to my granola this weekend…. I guess cane syrup browns a tad faster than honey. But like you said if the end result is tasty and the food is made with love who cares if it isn’t the prettiest thing to come out of the kitchen. These little crumbles look delicious, extra brown and all 🙂
    Sarah PIe recently posted…Increase your productivity- without increasing your stress

Kat
    October 7, 2014 at 9:20 am

GIRLL! this sucker is screaming my name!! Im so depressed that its still in the 90s over here. Im so ready for fall flavors and foods!
    Kat recently posted…Pumpkin Pie Power Balls

October 7, 2014 at 10:08 am

I’d kind of love to take a baking course someday, but at the same time I don’t wanna get too caught up with rules and guidelines… especially since some of my favourite creations came about as the result of random experimentation or a complete fluke.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless apple cinnamon muffins .

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    October 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

I totally plan on eating this for breakfast 😉 Love how simple the recipe is too!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…lemon poppyseed & coconut quinoa bake {gf}

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    October 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

Apple crumble sounds so good right now! Most of my baking AND cooking ends up looking “rustic.” I would totally take a cooking course if I thought it would help motivate me to get my butt into the kitchen!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…A fun-filled weekend in Williamsburg

October 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Funny that I don’t enjoy baking because I was a science (Chemistry/Biology) major in college!
    I do like apple crisp which is similar to your crumble!!!
    Kim recently posted…My Heart Is Overflowing

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    October 7, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I love apple crisp. This is delicious and it’s awesome that it’s single serve too. Otherwise I eat everything myself. I’m not sure I would enjoy a cooking or baking class. I’ve thought about going to one, but always worried I would get bored with the science behind it all. I’m in it for the creativity.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Popcorn & Girlfriends Always Go Together + a Giveaway

October 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I’m actually considering doing a course (or a few) at George Brown over the next few years. I mean I really want to go to culinary school, but I also really want to get into the job market, so I think this is a good compromise since I could just do one course at a time while I work.

This looks delicious!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Lucinda Scala Quinn’s Eggplant Parm Stacks

Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner
    October 7, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I can’t believe you stress about your pictures…I would do so much to get even like a little better with mine! It’s really tough. Also, this + vanila ice cream sounds like what I need in my life right now.
    Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner recently posted…Race Recap: Akron Marathon

Brittany
    October 7, 2014 at 10:22 pm

HA, I made a new recipe last night that totally failed in the presentation department, but DELIVERED in the flavor department. SO I must share it regardless of the physical state.
    Brittany recently posted…Coffee Tasting for One

Lauren
    October 8, 2014 at 2:14 am

Single serve dessert with a few ingredients – good stuff. I would love to take another raw food prep course, just because I find it all so bloody fascinating!
    Lauren recently posted…Fluffy Vegan Porridge

October 9, 2014 at 9:37 am

I think at some point I would like to take a cooking course… maybe not baking because um, I’d get fat eating cakes and pies every day… but something. Over the summer J mentioned wanting to take a class at sur la table or something (he needs to learn how to cook!) so it might be fun if I can find one in SF.
    Cassie recently posted…Hemp Crusted Salmon

Diana @sosmallsostrong
    October 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Pinned lady! This looks yummy and my boyfriend is allergic to apples…soooooo ALL MINE!
    Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted…Healthy Sweet Potato Gnocchi

GiGi Eats
    October 10, 2014 at 1:15 am

I am really confused as to how you’re not 8 million pounds. But really? LOL!!!!!!!!!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Good Mood Food: We Could All Use Some

Chai Tea Spiced Pumpkin Butter and Link Love - Pancake Warriors
    October 12, 2014 at 1:14 pm

[…] Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble The Healthy Maven.  I love anything single serving because I know I can’t go back for more, although I would probably make 2 of these at a time… just in case I have to share! […]

Kate O.
    October 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

I made this and it was delicious! I used cashew meal instead of almond meal (it’s all I had) and added greek yogurt for a topping. I will definitely be making this again!

October 14, 2014 at 8:16 am

Genius idea to top with greek yogurt! So trying that! I’m so happy you enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks for the comment Kate!

Anna
    October 14, 2014 at 8:57 am

I have two bags of recently picked apples sitting in my kitchen and some of them will soon be this recipe. I love how simple it is!! I’m always on a quest for delicious + healthy + easy. Thanks!
    Anna recently posted…Weekend Snapshots

Arlene
    October 27, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Davida,

This is perfect right now with all the apples and fall here. Also, thank you for the PRINT button! There are blogs out there all I want is the recipe and it prints like 10 pages before I get the recipe lol Thank you again!

Arlene

October 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Anytime Arlene! Thank you for your sweet comment 🙂 Hope you’re enjoying your Fall and getting in some delicious eats!

Nancy
    October 31, 2014 at 9:54 pm

What would you recommend to replace the almond flour. I’m allergic to almonds, but not to other nuts.
    Nancy recently posted…Best of October 2014

Sunday Swarm: 12 Autumn Apple Recipes | Smart Girls Lift
    November 16, 2014 at 11:01 am

[…] Single Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble | The Healthy Maven […]

Maximiliane
    July 4, 2015 at 7:15 am

Loved this! It was the perfect little treat! 🙂 Also seems like it would also taste great in a bigger quantity as an apple pie 😉

July 8, 2015 at 6:33 am

It totally would! I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Stopped at just one portion is a real challenge!