breakfast Fall gluten-free oatmeal/granola

Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola

November 14, 2014

A hearty and healthy apple cinnamon stovetop granola recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for an easy morning breakfast that doesn’t require you to turn on your oven!

Let me tell you about the magic that is stovetop granola.

Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola - a hearty and healthy granola recipe made on the stovetop that's ready in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for an easy morning breakfast.My dream in life is to have one of those massive mason jars that is constantly replenished with delicious granola. I’d have fresh almond milk on hand and eat it while reading the paper in my breakfast nook. I suspect this will remain a dream for many years to come…

You see, I have a granola problem. If you’re a long-time THM reader you know this is nothing new. Granola and popcorn are my weakness. I cannot keep them in the house. At least not if I plan to have any self-control.

Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola - a hearty and healthy granola recipe made on the stovetop that's ready in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for an easy morning breakfast.A massive mason jar full of granola would last me approximately a day and keeping it full would require me to make granola full-time. I also rarely have the patience to make fresh almond milk (even though it’s amazing!) and the odds of me reading the paper are about as likely as me reading Harry Potter aka non-existent.

My solution to all of this was to develop a single-serve (or in this case double-serve- one for me, one for C!) stovetop granola that I could make and eat in under 15 minutes. This meaning that the temptation to eat the whole batch wouldn’t be there.

Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola - a hearty and healthy granola recipe made on the stovetop that's ready in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for an easy morning breakfast.This solution totally works. If I want granola I have to make it, eliminating the possibility of endless “small” handfuls throughout the day.

The only issue is when you find yourself making this Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola at 3:00 PM as a snack AFTER eating it for breakfast that morning…I guess it isn’t so magical after all! Sigh.

Apple Cinnamon Stovetop Granola

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 2     adjust servings

• 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free certified if necessary)
  • 1/4 cup raw chopped pecans (or other nut)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1/2 apple, grated (I used granny smith)
  • 1 1/2 T honey
  • 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 egg white, frothed

1. In a large bowl combine rolled oats, pecans, raisins, cinnamon and sea salt.
  2. Add in apple, honey and coconut oil and give it a good stir.
  3. Add in egg white and stir. Should form granola clusters.
  4. Head a non-stick skillet over med-high heat.
  5. Add granola and flatten with a spatula to form one large layer of granola.
  6. Cook for 3 minutes before flipping, flattening with the spatula again and cooking for another 3 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn (lower heat if you sense it is burning).
  7. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or until granola has crisped up. Break up clusters as needed.
  8. Serve with almond milk or yogurt and fruit.
  9. Store in an airtight container for several days (not that it's ever lasted that long...)

Notes

*I've also replaced the apple with pumpkin (about a 1/4 cup) and the cinnamon with my DIY pumpkin spice for a pumpkin version!

A hearty and healthy apple cinnamon stovetop granola recipe that's ready in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for an easy morning breakfast.What food can you not keep in the house? Ever tried stovetop granola?

Ally @ Om Nom Ally
    November 14, 2014 at 5:29 am

Hello new work day morning breakfast idea 😀 I’ve never made stovetop granola before and I really love the idea of making single servings of granola on a whim! Thanks for sharing 🙂

November 14, 2014 at 9:31 am

Eating it now! It’s become my go-to quick breakfast! Thanks Ally 🙂

erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 14, 2014 at 8:52 am

BRILLIANT. I knew you had a popcorn addiction but I didn’t know (or forgot) you had a granola addiction. It isssss pretty tasty.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Homemade Sweet Potato Pizza

November 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

ugh it’s such an issue! Popcorn I can deal with (on most days) but damn granola gets me everytime!

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    November 14, 2014 at 8:58 am

I love granola too much. I have made stovetop granola before too, but never got it to come out crunchy! I need to try your egg white!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Tofu and a Cauliflower Crust & a Giveaway

November 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

egg white is key!!! Makes it clumpy….the only time I like clumpy haha

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    November 14, 2014 at 9:07 am

Chocolate! I buy the dark variety so it’s all good, but I eat through it very quickly. Thanks for the recipe!
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…11/14: Friday’s Favorite Things

November 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

ahhhh chocolate too! How could I forget to include chocolate?!

November 14, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’ve made granola before, but never on the stovetop – good to know that’s a thing! As for foods I have trouble keeping in the house: Chicago Mix popcorn, certain flavours of ice cream/gelato (salted caramel comes to mind) and chocolate covered almonds or raisins.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 11/14/14.

Ann
    November 14, 2014 at 11:02 am

This sounds ridiculously yummy and easy!! I’ve never heard of stove top granola, it’s a cool idea for single servings. I can’t have granola at home for the same reasons… no self control. Especially with really BIG clusters, omg don’t get me started! 😀 I’m constantly practicing self-control though and I’m getting better and better 🙂

Sam @ PancakeWarriors
    November 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

Oh my word – genius! I probably didn’t need to read this because now I will be making this 24/7. This my dear could be dangerous!!
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…FitFriday: Fridays Are For Fitness! Lunges and Triceps

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    November 14, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Love granola and love this idea!

November 14, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I’m with you, I have no self control with granola either! I make a cinnamon raisin one similar to this and I can’t stop eating it – so good! My solution lately has been buying single serving portions of this Bear Naked granola. That way I only eat one and then call it a day on the granola front 🙂
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…What Health Coaching is Not + Let’s Talk About Brain Health

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    November 14, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Been waiting on this recipe since you posted about it on FB! Excitement 😀
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 Tips to help you stay healthy this winter

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance
    November 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

YUM! I love that you used fresh apple, usually it is dried that you see in granola recipes.

November 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’ve found dried apple to be hard to come by (at least the ones not coated in sugar!) so I went with fresh apple. So happy I did 🙂 Have a fab weekend Christina!

November 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm

This looks awesome (I don’t think you’ve made anything that I don’t feel that way about) but….when are you and/or Arman going to talk about the fact that you met up this week?!
    Kim recently posted…This Is Going to be Fun!!!

Lauren
    November 15, 2014 at 4:09 pm

This is genius! I have no self control around granola either. I bought a bag from work on Thursday and it was gone by yesterday…
    Deffo trying this!

November 15, 2014 at 5:26 pm

NO SELF CONTROL!!! I ate both servings when I made it yesterday…oh well 🙂

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    November 16, 2014 at 12:00 am

Love granola! Definitely will be making your apple and cinnamon version, that’s a combination I have never tried before!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Lemon Meringue Sable Breton Fingers

November 16, 2014 at 8:19 pm

really?! Prepare to have you life turned upside-down in the best way! I LOVE apple and cinnamon!!!

November 16, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I love stove top granola! At my old summer camp we called it “fried” granola” and it was a staple for canoe trips. We would always stuff ourselves silly with it!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Healthy options at Cora Breakfast and Lunch

November 16, 2014 at 8:24 pm

The things I missed out on in life because I am afraid of camping haha

November 19, 2014 at 1:18 am

YAY you posted it. I kind of am bitter you didn’t make this for me. But…we did have Meg’s samples.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Blogging Politics- The experiment

November 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

You know me + granola. I need to pretend this didn’t happen.
    Cassie recently posted…Naked Kitchen SF – Vegan Pumpkin Dinner

Julia
    November 19, 2014 at 10:35 am

You and I have the same dream, sister! I love granola and wish I had an ample supply of it on hand all the time. Truth: I had no clue you could make granola on the stovetop, and I’m not sure why that idea never registered in my head – it’s pure genius!! Love the apple-cinnamon flavor! I must toast up endless batches of this forevermore! xoxo
    Julia recently posted…One Pot Shrimp Gumbo Pasta

Leah
    May 12, 2015 at 9:39 am

I just finished making this for the first time! I had no raisins on hand so i subbed in chopped dates (so cut back to 1tsp of honey) but it came out amazing!! Thank you so much! Love your blog 🙂

May 13, 2015 at 7:06 am

Fab!!! I’m actually eating some right now 🙂 Great idea to sub in dates. I’m going to try that! Thanks for the feedback, lovely!

Deb
    April 9, 2016 at 7:29 pm

So yummy! If you can wait that long, it’s even better once cool, works to crisp it up. I had to go lower temp as it was burning, but otherwise easy recipe. Thanks so much!

April 10, 2016 at 8:23 am

wonderful! Such an easy and delicious recipe. Glad you were able to adjust to your stove!