appetizers Fall gluten-free vegan

Cornbread Bruschetta {Gluten-Free & Vegan}

November 9, 2014

Why not use cornbread for your homemade bruschetta?! This Cornbread Bruschetta is gluten-free and vegan and makes for the perfect appetizer for your Fall or winter feast.

The Healthy Maven has over 400 posts. Ummmmmm, say what? How did that happen?

Why not use cornbread for your homemade bruschetta?! This recipe makes for the perfect appetizer for your Fall or Winter dinner party or Thanksgiving feast!It feels like yesterday that I sat down to write this post. It was the dead of winter and I finally found the courage to start writing. Of course I didn’t tell anyone about it for 3 months but I still felt/feel proud that I took the leap of faith and did it. I could NEVER have imagined that I would find myself with over 400 posts almost two years later.

I actually bought my domain exactly 2 years ago (like to the day!) but it took me 3 months to get the site up. Why? Because I wanted it to be perfect right from the get-go. This was obviously an unrealistic assumption considering I had never blogged before and had maybeeee picked up my DSLR 3 times but I put the pressure on myself nonetheless.

In hindsight, I should have been a bit easier on myself. Practice doesn’t make perfect, but it can get you pretty damn close. It took one year and 8 months for me to finally feel like I’m hitting my stride so I should have been a bit more forgiving when it came to starting the blog.

Why not use cornbread for your homemade bruschetta?! This recipe makes for the perfect appetizer for your Fall or Winter dinner party or Thanksgiving feast!When I talk to bloggers now I find myself torn between telling them to go for it even if their blog and their skills aren’t completely refined and wanting to encourage them to be their best. I know that I wouldn’t be where I am if I didn’t push myself to grow and improve but I also know that this doesn’t happen overnight.

I’ve talked about this before, but I love how my blog is a reflection of my own self-improvement both mentally and physically. I think both are pretty obvious and I want that to remain the same, but as my skills improve I can’t help but want to dig into the archives and step up some of my old posts.

Truth-be-told I don’t have any time to go into my previous content and reshoot every single recipe and make little tweaks here and there so that just isn’t going to happen but when I found myself with a fresh loaf of Pumpkin Cornbread to use for this Cornbread Bruschetta and my camera gear already set up, I just had to do it. It was compulsive and against everything I have previous preached but I did it anyway.

Cornbread-Bruschetta-3As time has passed, my recipes are beginning to build on each other and old content is being revisited. So recipes are getting re-shot and text added and perhaps having stevia replaced with a more legitimate sweetener because I am SO out of my stevia phase. I’m okay with it.

Cornbread Bruschetta {Gluten-Free & Vegan}

PREP TIME 10 mins
Serves 8     adjust servings

• 6 vine tomatoes, chopped (I used 3 red and 3 yellow but any colour will work)
  • 2 T olive oil (divided)
  • 1 T white wine vinegar
  • 2 garlic clove, peeled and sliced in half
  • 1 handful fresh basil, chopped finely
  • salt and pepper
  • 8 slices of cornbread, halved (I used my Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Place cornbread halves on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then top with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake for 4 minutes, then flip over and bake for another 4 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, mix tomatoes, fresh basil, white wine vinegar and olive oil on a bowl and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove cornbread from oven and rub each slice very well with garlic.
  6. Top with tomato mix and additional salt and pepper.
  7. Serve immediately.

Why not use cornbread for your homemade bruschetta?! This recipe makes for the perfect appetizer for your Fall or Winter dinner party or Thanksgiving feast!Are you a perfectionist? Bloggers, do you ever go back and change old posts?

November 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

Bet you wouldn’t think I’d be numero uno FROM YOUR COUCH but blame jet lag.

You know my thoughts on this. You also know my thoughts on cornbread.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spicy Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

Irina
    November 9, 2014 at 11:21 am

I adore cornbread and this is such an interesting and unique way to eat it! I almost want to add it to my Thanksgiving menu because, why not 🙂
    Irina recently posted…The TMI Survey

November 9, 2014 at 11:46 am

I can’t decide if I want to go back and change/re-shoot old posts. I do have some decent recipes from way back in the beginning blog days, but obviously, the photography/writing is a bit horrid. But at the same point I still have room for improvement, so maybe I should wait? Or just let it be because it shows growth over the time I’ve had the blog?
    Bah. Oh well. I should probably just eat this instead.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 11/07/14.

November 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I’m a big fan of bruschetta, but have never had it atop cornbread. Sounds YUM.

Uh yea I hear ya, I really would love to fix old posts and update recipe photos, but I don’t have much time to either. Once in awhile if I make an old recipe and the photos make me cringe, I’ll update the photos. Like you said though, blogging is a journey and I am definitely wayy better at blogging now than I was when I first started!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Our Brains are Like Velcro to Negativity and Teflon to Positivity {Self-Love Talk}

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    November 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Love cornbread & bruschetta with it is like having a little salsa party in my kitchen. I’m a total perfection. Is there some switch to turn that off? I always thought as I got older, I would mellow out. I’m 37 now and still waiting for that to happen.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Sunday Funday11/9/14

ellie | fit for the soul
    November 10, 2014 at 1:09 am

Hehe~exactly what I’m dealing with right now! Some recipes yes. I definitely like to revisit simply because I make it multiple times and end up liking it better “this and that way”. But I’m thinking of just un-linking to some olllld recipes because now I realize how terrible they are! As in, they taste alright but they def. could be better, and the photos are subpar and so is the writing…so it’s easier to un-link. 🙂 And this cornbread looks so incredibly moist!!!! Looks like overall you’ve found a good place in your blogging, so way to go girl!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    November 10, 2014 at 11:51 am

You’ve come SO far, my dear. Your photos, content, etc. is just amazing. You should be so proud of yourself, and all of posts – past and present. Oh and obvi, this recipe looks amazing. You and Sarah (MakingThyme) have me wanting to bake up some cornbread, stat!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Creamy Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Linguine (vegan)

November 12, 2014 at 8:00 am

Aw thanks girlfriend! It’s been quite the journey! We need to get coffee STAT.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    November 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Holy ca-freakin-moly, I just died looking at the pumpkin cornbread grilled cheese in your old post. I want that.
    I’m definitely a perfectionist, and I know I have miles and miles to go with my blog, but I’m taking it slow right now because…college. Blogging will be there for me after I get my life rollin’ a bit.
    You inspire me, Davs. Know that!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Weekly Moves and Grooves XI

November 12, 2014 at 8:02 am

I have no doubt you are and are going to inspire so many people in your life (myself included!). Keep doing yo thang girl. College only happens once. Make the most of it. LOVE YOU!

November 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Hell yes to swapping out Stevia. I’m super proud of you and I think the corn bread bruschetta looks fabulous on this reshoot. I’d also eat anything that involves fresh tomatoes, basil and olive oil.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…The Fitness Industry Makes Me Sad

November 12, 2014 at 8:03 am

Cornbread was actually the only thing I have in my house this weekend haha My obsession runs DEEP. Currently eating your nuts (in my ‘nola with yogurt :)). That sounds dirty…

November 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm

So you’re saying you have my nuts in your mouth.

How’s that for dirty. I probably just got blacklisted on your site. Enjoy them. 😉

Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde
    November 11, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Ahhh, happy two year blog-domain-iversary!!! How exciting. And I did the same thing– started blogging without telling the world and added so many recipe posts because I wanted there to be content on the site. Then every time I updated it I did 6ish recipe posts at a time (wtf was I thinking?) hahah but I must say I so enjoyed reading your first post and especially the last line “From this moment on I am no longer just talk.” You certainly are no longer just talk at ALL, missy. You are walking the walk!! So proud & so excited to be in this bloggy world with you. And these photos are making me drool hardcore.
    Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde recently posted…Restrictive Diet vs. Limited Diet

November 12, 2014 at 8:15 am

I’m thinking a backstalk of the balanced blonde is in order!!! Aka my fav activity. I need to get a life…I also owe you an email! Hope ulcer healing is speeding up! thinking of you xoxox

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    November 12, 2014 at 7:12 am

corn bread is so the way to my hear!! This sounds amazing!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Marvelous Monday

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    November 16, 2014 at 10:11 am

Wow congrats on 400 posts lady! I am happy to say I have been there for almost all of it and you have been such an inspiration to me even before I started blogging! It’s so awesome to see how much you’ve grown your blog and everything your’re doing 🙂
    On another note this bruschetta is right up my alley!! Not sure if you know this but I am 100% obsessed with cornbread…possibly my favorite kind of bread. I just reshot my old pumpkin cornbread recipe from last year as well and now I have an excuse to make this 🙂
    Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com recently posted…Apple Pie Quinoa Crumble Parfaits

November 16, 2014 at 8:19 pm

girlfriendddd I am so proud of YOU! It’s actually totally awesome how we’ve been following each other pretty much from the start and I hope it continues for many years to come. Lots of love Selena!!! xoxo

Samantha
    November 16, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Davida!

As a new fan to your site, I was so surprised to read that you’ve been only at this for 2 years! and 400 posts! Wow. Super impressive. I understand the perfection aspect….I took a good 4-6 weeks of posting and tweaking all my web design before even publishing the site, and even still am playing around constantly with ways to improve its functionality (and attractiveness!). I think that’s what makes it so fun, though — that all of the incremental changes lead to something big over time. It’s an exciting adventure.

Thanks for the awesome recipes, and look forward to seeing everything to come!
    Samantha recently posted…Recipe: Simple Bowl of Lentils

November 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Aw thank you Samantha! I totally agree that it makes blogging super fun. It’s especially fun to look back on old posts and realize how far I’ve come. It’s part of the reason that I don’t want to go back and fix old posts! But then again I also want people to want to make the recipes hence them needed to be re-shot on occasion. Ah well I probably won’t ever win this battle but I feel fortunate that I get to be part of the game. Thanks for stopping by and best of luck on your blogging adventures. Feel free to ask questions if you have any!!! -D

Papas Bravas with Chamoy + 100 Gluten Free Appetizers to Ring in the New Year - Beard + Bonnet
    December 27, 2014 at 1:39 am

[…] Mushrooms // Vegan in the Freezer {GF/V} 67. Roasted Domino Potatoes // Beard and Bonnet {GF} 68. Cornbread Bruschetta // The Healthy Maven {GF/V} 69. Mildly Marinated Cauliflower // Vegan in the […]

Profi
    November 5, 2015 at 8:23 am

healthy and delicious looking bruschettas*