dessert Fall gluten-free paleo pies

Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust + A Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!

November 12, 2014

Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust plus a full Paleo Thanksgiving Dinner Menu that includes everything besides the turkey!

To say that I am excited for Thanksgiving this year would be the understatement of the century. As a born and bred Canadian, my experience with American Thanksgiving has been limited to only a few occasions, but let me tell you, it was love at first bite.

This year, I’ll be celebrating with C’s family in SF. Preparations include, reading the low-down email I received at least 3 times a day, brainstorming what I plan to contribute (this post is helping!) and making plans to pack my second stomach.

Thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed and not stressed over. The likelihood of you overindulging is pretty high so don’t beat yourself up over it. Try throwing in some healthier options if you can or even this full Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu if you and the fam are up for it. More importantly, focus on giving thanks to the people you love over a delicious meal.

The ladies and I figured we would give you guys some healthier options if you want to change things up! Kel had to sit this one out because life is bit hectic for her (she’s got a cookbook coming out and the cutest daughter ever to take care of!) but we’ve got an awesome lady stepping in, Taylor from Food Faith Fitness. Give her a warm welcome 🙂

Everything but the turkey Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!Let’s get to the menu!

Kicking things off is the bacon queen, Fit Foodie Finds with these Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts. I actually tried these when I was in Minnesota a few weeks ago and they were amazing. Plus, you’ll be mind-blown by how easy they are to make.

Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts + A Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!Lexi showed us just how talented she is with these Paleo Pumpkin Biscuits. I’ll admit that I’m kind of happy I won’t be at her Thanksgiving dinner since I can guarantee you I would eat 12 of them…

Recipe –> HERE

Paleo Pumpkin Biscuits + A Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!These Maple Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes are precisely why we are honoured to welcome Taylor to the team! I’m not waiting until Thanksgiving to make these.

Recipe –> HERE

Maple Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes + A Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!Finally my recipe! I’ve been meaning to make this pie since last year but somehow I never got around to it. This round-up was the perfect opportunity for me to test my pie skills aka master the pumpkin seed crust. I thought it would take me several attempts to get it, but the pie gods were on my side and it turned out amazing on the first try.

Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust - the most delicious healthy dessert recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner!This Paleo Pumpkin Pie is dairy-free, grain-free and has zero refined sugar! It requires a bit of patience, but it is absolutely worth it.

Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust

• Total Time: 4 hours
  • Yield: 12 slices

For the Crust:

• 1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 2 T tapioca starch
  • 2 T coconut palm sugar
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T coconut oil, cold
  • 1 large egg white, frothed

For the Filling:

• 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (or homemade pumpkin puree)
  • 2 T coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 T tapioca flour
  • 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I use my DIY Pumpkin Spice Recipe)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

For the Crust:

1. In a blender or food processor, process pumpkin seeds until completely ground (will be somewhat sticky and clump together)
  2. In a bowl combine ground pumpkin seeds, baking powder, xanthan gum, tapioca starch, coconut palm sugar and sea salt.
  3. Add in coconut oil and either cut in using a pastry cutter or mix with hands. Should create pea-sized clumps in dough (don’t overmix).
  4. Slowly incorporate egg white and continue stirring until dough can come together into a ball.
  5. Place ball between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to form a 10 inch circle.*
  6. Carefully place crust over a 9 inch pie plate, cut off excess crust hanging over and then press crust into sides (it’s okay if it breaks, just fix with your hands to fill in broken parts)**

For the Filling:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix together pumpkin puree, coconut oil and almond milk.
  3. Add in tapioca flour, coconut palm sugar and pumpkin pie spice
  4. Mix in egg and egg whites and then the vanilla extract
  5. Pour the filling into the crust and smooth out top with a spatula.
  6. Bake for 40 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and use tin foil to cover the crust (so it won’t burn) and then place back in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until top has set.***
  8. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
  9. Cover and place in refrigerator to set for another 2 hours. Do not try eating before cooling as pie will fall apart.
  10. Serve at room temperature.
  11. Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

*I use this non-stick roller with the parchment paper and I love it! **to form scalloped edges follow this tutorial or use this pie plate.***check out this pie crust shield which is all kinds of awesome!

That’s a full meal of healthy Thanksgiving eats for ya! That is if you have the patience to wait until Thanksgiving to make these…

What are some of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes? Have you ever tried to healthify some of them?

Tina muir
    November 12, 2014 at 6:47 am

Haha Yep! I hear you! I was excited for thanksgiving when I first started coming over here….actually, what am I talking about? I still am 😛 Especially this year as I get to cook from home…so I get to be in charge….and we know we love to be in charge hehe! I am sure you will have a great time with Cs family. Great ideas for healthy recipes. I shall pin this right now!
    Tina muir recently posted…Sizzlefish Haddock with Honey Mustard Sauce

November 12, 2014 at 8:05 am

Thanks, lady!!! I’m totally on board with US T-giving. Probably my fav thing about the country 🙂 So fun you get to be in charge this year!!

November 12, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. I’m so glad you’ll get to celebrate it American style this year! And in SF no less!! That’s one of my favorite cities. Basically I’m jealous. Although I’ll be in Louisiana, where it’ll probably be 75 degrees and wonderful…so maybe you should be jealous!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…A Day in the Life of a Clinical Psychology PhD Student

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    November 12, 2014 at 8:38 am

So glad you approve of my first time addition girl! Thanks for having me…and I feel the same about your pie! I can’t wait to get my face plant on!! Pinned!
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Curry + Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    November 12, 2014 at 9:34 am

Hello Thanksgiving! This pie needs to be recreated. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…Weekly Grocery List for Two

November 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm

anytime, lady! Cannot wait for T-giving to get here!

erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 12, 2014 at 9:39 am

I love the pumpkin pie, but I really, really want those brussels sprouts! I’m on a kick lately. You’re going to have so much fun in SF!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…PUPPY

November 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm

eeeee I can’t wait! The brussels were so GOOD. Lee made me bacon like 3 times in 48 hours a few weeks ago. The girl knows her stuff!

November 12, 2014 at 9:39 am

Since we don’t do Thanksgiving, I definitely don’t have to wait! I am SO intrigued by these brussels sprouts – since I am not a bacon fan, I guess I try them with smoked spanish ham.
    That pumpkin pie – I need you to send it to me. It looks perfect-
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…CrossFit and Food in spite of crazy times – WIAW#82

November 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Ham would definitely work!!! They were seriously so good and the brussels were cooked perfectly! Give em’ a try 🙂

Sarah Pie
    November 12, 2014 at 9:49 am

Thanksgiving is my favorite! Your guy’s dinner is a little lacking on cranberry sauce (my thanksgiving addiction) but everything else looks so good I think I can forgive you 🙂 I’ve been looking for a GF dessert option for this year and this pie just moved to the top of the list.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Goals for the year

November 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm

hahaha so I hear that cranberry sauce is a big deal! My Mom makes a mean cranberry sauce…must be cause she’s American 😉

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish
    November 12, 2014 at 11:07 am

I am in LOVE with this crust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a genius. I think I’ve said that at least four times recently 🙂 Thanks for the little shoutout about my absence too. I missed you girls more than you know. xoxo, Kel
    Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish recently posted…Bee Friendlier + {Apricot Tomato Bruschetta}

November 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Wasn’t the same without ya! Hopefully things calm down soon and you can jump back in on the fun! Missing you xoxo

November 12, 2014 at 11:31 am

I’m going to be sad when Thanksgiving rolls around and I’m going to have to remind myself that I had Thanksgiving like 6 weeks before. Boo.
    Thanksgiving favourites: my cousin’s deviled eggs (that come out at every holiday/family gathering) and pumpkin pie.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Keeping It Simple.

November 12, 2014 at 1:49 pm

But then you can look out at the Mountains and realize you wouldn’t want to be in the US for Thanksgiving anyway 😉 Sending you lots of love!!!

November 12, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Funny, just last night I asked Chris how he felt about having a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year. I’m thinking that we might do smoked brisket instead of the traditional turkey. I do want to try those bacon wrapped brussels sprouts though.
    Kim recently posted…Best Friends

November 12, 2014 at 4:10 pm

SMOKED BRISKET IS MY FAV!!!! More than turkey! Ah can I get an invite?!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    November 12, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I don’t really have ‘favourite’ thanksgiving dishes cuz I’ve only been celebrating it for the last couple years. And even then, we tend to eat mostly Caribbean foods. But, last year someone brought a green bean casserole and I loved it. I’m not even kidding. I’d always heard how terrible it was, but I guess I’m just one of the weird ones?…
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Food Blogger Reality: Failed Recipes & Pumpkin Grudges

November 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I LOVE green bean casserole!!! You are not alone!!!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    November 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm

My idea of healthifying things usually comes down to eliminating white sugar & veg oils in favour of better quality/less refined ingredients. And reducing the sugar. I don’t follow recipes. Hahahahhaa

I want those bacon wrapped Brussels sprouts!!
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…I’m in love!

November 12, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Same here! My Mom throws a US thanksgiving party every year (to which I am not invited but expected to cook for…don’t ask) and every year I lower the sugar in every dessert I bake. No one needs to know!

Kay @ Kay Bueno
    November 12, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Those brussel sprouts, oh man.

My family got lazy on the whole turkey thing, and so now for Thanksgiving we just end up making all our favorite side dishes. I might have to make those. But my mom makes some mean sweet potato dishes.

You’ll have a blast in SF for Thanksgiving. Good weather, good food, good people.
    Kay @ Kay Bueno recently posted…What I ate Wednesday

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    November 12, 2014 at 10:02 pm

YUM! I have been totally waiting for this recipe to be posted! That pumpkin seed crust sounds like a GENIUS idea! Will give this a try soon! You’re coming to SF?? That’s just 15 minutes away from me!
    Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…How To Make Pomegranate Molasses

November 12, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I totally health-ified basically everything my grandmother cooks last year… green beans almondine, pumpkin pie, corn bread (well, she never makes that but healthier than rolls). So sad I’m missing Thanksgiving but can’t wait to spend even more time with you in SF!!!
    Cassie recently posted…Lighten Up On Yourself

November 13, 2014 at 8:33 am

I’ve made paleo pumpkin pie before but never with a pumpkin seed crust. This looks amazing!
    Jessica recently posted…Mental Health for Athletes

November 13, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Thanks lady! I’m excited to celebrate two Thanksgivings this year just for the pumpkin pie!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance
    November 13, 2014 at 10:58 am

This is perfect, and I now get to use the xanthan gum that stares at me in my cupboard! Haha
    Christina @ The Beautiful Balance recently posted…Pumpkin Rolls

November 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I hear ya!!! I hope that stuff doesn’t go back because it usually sits in my cupboard for a while…It’s such a key ingredient though! Oh the gluten-free life haha

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 13, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I can hardly handle all this beauty!!!! Seriously crushing on that pie. I my just have to make it for the fam and say it’s full of gluten and allllll the sugar so they’ll eat it. Obsessed!!

November 13, 2014 at 3:41 pm

yeahhhhhh I’m wondering how this will go over on Thanksgiving….

November 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Love this menu you guys came up with! But as a pumpkin pie lover, your recipe in particular calls out to me. It looks amazing! And I love the idea for a pumpkin seed crust.

My family would probably try to shoot me if I ever tried to healthify our Thanksgiving dinner haha. My favourite dishes are the pumpkin pie (duh), cheesy baked cauliflower, and my dad’s stuffing that I’m pretty sure is made with a whole pound of butter lol.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Apple butter granola

November 14, 2014 at 9:31 am

If it makes you feel any better, my Mom (hi Mom!) totally stalked the comments of this post and saw that I mentioned lowering the sugar in her T-giving dessert recipe for this year and promptly emailed me telling me to not dare attempt trying that lol. So yeah, healthy and thanksgiving don’t go hand in hand in my fam!

Phoebe @ Feed Me Phoebe
    November 13, 2014 at 8:55 pm

That pie looks amazing and I love the variety of the recipes on the list!

November 14, 2014 at 9:26 am

Aw thank you Phoebe! Also can I just say that I am a HUGE fan of your blog! I’ve been silently stalking your creations for years. Okay I totally just outed myself haha. Anywayyyyyy Happy Friday and thanks again 🙂

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    November 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Oh HECK yes. Pumpkin seed crust? Genius. I’m also just a weeeee bit jealous that you’ll be spending Thanksgiving in SF— one of my favorite cities ever!!!
    I tried healthifying stuffing a couple years ago by making a quinoa stuffing…but I was just sad. I love quinoa and all, but stuffing just needs bread. I will never commit that Thanksgiving crime ever again.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Life By the Numbers

25 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes - Slim Sanity
    November 15, 2014 at 4:01 am

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Pie via The Healthy […]

30 Healthy & Skinny Thanksgiving Recipes - Skinny Fitalicious
    November 18, 2014 at 5:18 am

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Pie via The Healthy Maven […]

November 19, 2014 at 10:09 am

This crust is genius!! We eat pumpkin pie at Christmas, too (I know, we’re weird) so I am going to have to make this!!
    Cassie recently posted…Naked Kitchen SF – Vegan Pumpkin Dinner

November 20, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’m a Christmas N00b so you could tell me you eat fried duck intestine for X-mas and I’d believe you haha

November 19, 2014 at 10:38 am

Normally I’m not super stoked on Thanksgiving, but this year I’m psyched, too! My friends and I are doing a Friendsgiving on Wednesday, followed by family Thanksgiving on Thursday. So excited! I love that you and the ladies put together a healthy menu. So genius! And this pie? Gimme the whole thang!! 😀
    Julia recently posted…One Pot Shrimp Gumbo Pasta

60 Allergy-Friendly Thanksgiving Recipes - The Fit Cookie
    November 20, 2014 at 8:35 am

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust (GF, SF, contains eggs & almonds) […]

November 20, 2014 at 5:10 pm

the kiwi actually doesn’t like Thanksgiving. Too american he says. haha. But i bet he’d love that bacon and brussels!

November 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

It’s funny cause I LOVE T-giving because it is so American. Canadian Thanksgiving is just so mehhhhh!

Healthy Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
    November 21, 2014 at 6:44 am

[…] AND in 2013 and still wasn’t on board. One which I actually enjoyed was the bite I ate at Davida’s joint  which was Paleo with a homemade crust. However, when she suggested having it for breakfast I […]

(Real Food) Thanksgiving Recipes - Cavewife Cooks
    November 22, 2014 at 2:41 pm

[…] Pie (courtesy of The Healthy Foodie) Paleo Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes (courtesy of My Whole Food Life) Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust (courtesy of The Healthy Maven) Paleo Pumpkin Pie with Cranberry Topping (courtesy of Paleo […]

Thanksgiving Roundup: 65 Real Food Recipes for Turkey Day! | Eat Real Stay Sane
    November 24, 2014 at 11:59 pm

[…] Paleo Pumpkin Pie from The Healthy Maven […]

10 Must-Try Holiday Recipes Chickpea In The City | Chickpea In The City
    November 26, 2014 at 11:51 pm

[…] 9. Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust […]

PUMPKIN-PALOOZA - Cavewife Cooks
    November 30, 2014 at 2:10 pm

[…] Pie Cupcakes (courtesy of My Whole Food Life) Paleo Pumpkin Pie Pudding (courtesy of Meatified) Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust (courtesy of The Healthy Maven) Paleo Pumpkin Pie with Cranberry Topping (courtesy of Paleo […]