For most people, the new year is a time to reflect on the old and set goals for the new. I actually didn’t set any resolutions for this year and instead set a mantra, but you’ll be hearing more on that soon. I have however been spending a lot of time thinking about the past and just how much has changed.
Considering how utterly obsessed I am with him (I mean this in the most loving-least stalkerish way) I don’t talk about our relationship all that much on here. He’s very involved in the behind-the-scenes of THM and I occasionally subject you to a C & D anecdote but in terms of our day-to-day relationship and the big moments we’ve shared, those memories are reserved for us.
3 years ago I was living in NYC and he was in Montreal, a year after that I moved back to Toronto and we continued long distance between Toronto and Montreal until FINALLY last year when he moved to Toronto and we moved into our lovely little apartment together.
In many ways our relationship is still exactly as it was 3 years ago. I’m still motherly and (over)involved and he’s still my always positive and rational rock. In other ways we have changed so much both individually and together. We’re definitely less reckless and spontaneous and we’re also so much more mature and competent.
You’ll no long find us raving at an Eric Prydz show on a Saturday night because we need to get up on Sunday to pick out a new rug for our bedroom from West Elm. I’m still baking up a storm for him but instead of low-cal, fat-free banana muffins, we’re snacking on hearty and nutritious (and certainly not low-cal or fat-free) Paleo Banana Nut Muffins.
Some things have changed like our location, our hair (thank god!) and our eating habits, but many things have not like our love for each other and for The West Wing.
Grain-free or not, it’s so nice to be able to share them with him straight out of the oven instead of having to explain to the security guard at the airport why I’m trying to smuggle a dozen muffins across the border. Everyday I’m grateful I get to share a life with him 🙂Print
Paleo Banana Nut Muffins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 T honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped, mixed nuts (I used a mix of pecans and walnuts)**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl combine bananas, almond milk, honey, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined. Stir in nuts.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin liners or grease well and fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tray for 20 minutes before removing from tray to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Will keep in an airtight container on the counter for 3 days or longer in refrigerator.
*I use super ripe bananas that I froze and thawed. **Feel free to substitute with dairy-free chocolate chips (I like the enjoy life brand).
Would you say your relationship with your SO (or anyone close to you!) has changed quite a bit in the last few years?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!