dinner gluten-free paleo vegan vegetarian

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce

February 17, 2015

Ditch the jars and whip up this flavorful and veggie-packed Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce. Made from whole fresh tomatoes and red peppers, this sauce is sure to be a winner with the whole family!You should probably know by now that I have a major travel bug. It’s likely more that I have issues sitting still, but I also love dreaming about and preparing for my next trip.

While it is fun to see the world and experience new cultures, it is one seriously expensive habit. So until Martha Stewart buys out THM (I’m kidding…we all know Martha hates bloggers), I either need to chill on the travel or learn to budget my life a little better.

So C and I sat down and went over our finances to see where we might be able to curb our spending. Naturally, my point of weakness is the grocery store. Turns out my whole argument that eating in is cheaper than eating out may not actually be the case with me.

Ditch the jars and whip up this flavorful and veggie-packed Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce. Made from whole fresh tomatoes and red peppers, this sauce is sure to be a winner with the whole family!I’m sure this won’t surprise you, but I can go wayyyyy overboard in the grocery store. I’m a sucker for a good deal, but when I buy ALL THE GOOD DEALS, it kind of adds up. It also makes me a food hoarder.

In looking at my grocery bill, it’s the pre-made stuff that I like to buy to keep on hand that slowly turns my grocery bill into the traveller’s biggest nightmare. Admittedly, I don’t buy that much pre-packed stuff but things like beans and tomato sauce and soup stock that can so easily be made at home in bulk can creep up on you and before you know it you’ve spend your life-savings on beans.

It also doesn’t help that I’m a diva and need my organic, no-hidden-sugars tomato sauce that costs $5.99 a jar.

Ditch the jars and whip up this flavorful and veggie-packed Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce. Made from whole fresh tomatoes and red peppers, this sauce is sure to be a winner with the whole family!The other thing I spend a lot of money on is meat. I feel strongly that my meat be local and organic and antibiotic-free. It’s something I’m not willing to compromise on, but I also don’t think that meat is necessary with every meal so I decided to reduce our meat consumption.

However, this did not go over well with C when I told him I was enacting Meatless Mondays. Likely because stuffed chicken was originally on the menu, which is one of his favorite meals!

So instead, I decided to stop being so lazy and start making things like this Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce from scratch and cooking big batches of beans instead of buying the canned variety.

Now I’m no longer stressed about how to fulfill my travel bug, and instead am trying to figure out how in the heck I’m gonna fit everything into my freezer…

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce

Cook Time 50 mins
Serves about 6     adjust servings

• 10 vine tomatoes, halved
  • 2 red peppers
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • olive oil (about 1 T)
  • handful of fresh basil
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a 9 x 13 inch dish place 2 whole red peppers (pull off stems but keep whole) and halved tomatoes (skin side up) and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic and a 1/4 tsp of sea salt.
  3. Bake for 40 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and cover with a piece of foil to steam for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove foil and let sit for 20 minutes.
  6. Peel off skin from red peppers and remove seeds.
  7. Place all baked ingredients into a food processor blender and pulse several times.
  8. Add in fresh basil, italian seasoning, 1 tsp of sea salt and black pepper. Pulse several more times until desired consistency is reached.
  9. Serve over pasta, spiralized noodles or base of choice. I had mine over gluten-free noodles with kale and chicken.

Notes

*I like to double this recipe and freeze half of the batch for later use.

Ditch the jars and whip up this flavorful and veggie-packed Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce. Made from whole fresh tomatoes and red peppers, this sauce is sure to be a winner with the whole family!Where do you struggle with budgeting? Anyone else trying to save money for a big trip or event?

Jayme
    February 17, 2015 at 6:45 am

I spend A LOT of money on food. Trying not to live off of Easy Mac and Ramen is not cheap! I’m also a big traveler, so I’m trying to save for the dream Europe and/or New Zealand trip.
    Jayme recently posted…The Last 5 Lbs

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    February 17, 2015 at 7:44 am

The smell of tomatoes and peppers roasting is the best! I would totally make this. I’m currently saving for our next vacation and the grocery budget always tends to pop up when I’m wondering why I haven’t saved more!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…And a new decade begins…

Dietitian Jess
    February 17, 2015 at 10:33 am

Love the before and after picture of the roasted veggies! I definitely need to start a grocery budget, I spend waaaay too much on groceries!
    Dietitian Jess recently posted…Aphrodisiac Menu for Valentine’s Day

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    February 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I swear the grocery is the only place I buy ANYTHING these days. I’ve slowed down my meat consumption some so that helped but it can definitely get expensive.
    Also, lack of freezer space is a serious issue with me. Meal prep is hard when you have nowhere to store all the things you make cuz your 4 roommates are doing the same thing…
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Lentil Pancake Loaf

February 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I struggle so much with saving at the grocery store too. My grocery bills are always insanely high thanks to my love for fish, Greek yogurt, and cheese. And then there’s also the $200 I spend yearly on Barney Butter lol! Yeah I’m thinking I’m going to have to reign things in a bit when I move out next month. Some meatless dinners are definitely going to be in order, although I’m not sure how well that’s going to go over with JZ.

This pasta sauce looks fabulous though. Pinning it! 🙂
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Healthy Shrimp and Chicken Sausage Jambalaya

February 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I’m a sucker for homemade tomato sauce!! I could seriously eat sauce with a spoon by itself… or even better, with a hunk of fresh bread!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew Granola Cups

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    February 17, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Girl, the out-of-control grocery bill is a real struggle. I shop like I’m feeding a family of four. I should probably reel that in a bit. Anyways, this sauce looks so good! I love the roasted tomato idea…I’ll definitely be putting this over some zoodles soon!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Crispy Ranch Chickpeas + 10 Healthy Snack Ideas

February 17, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Welcome to my world. 🙂
    You can get a fantastic deep freezer from Craig’s List for a decent price, and beans freeze just fine. Don’t let anyone tell you different.
    Although I will say, you buying canned beans and sauces in no way makes you lazy. In fact, I’d be willing to bet you work your ass off. Sometimes you gotta compromise. For me, it’s almond milk. Sure I could make it, but ain’t nobody got time for that.

February 18, 2015 at 3:28 am

Seriously, grocery stores are a curse and blessing both. Always go with good intentions, leave with anything but.

Crushing on that fork standing up like the CT tower.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Four Cheese Pizza Pancakes

February 18, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Lee asked me yesterday what “that tall weird looking building” was. My mouth dropped when she’d never heard of the CN tower. It’s like the only thing we’re famous for…now I feel worthless!

Sofia // From the Land we Live on
    February 18, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I hear ya! Last weekend we did a spontaneous grocery trip while our car was in the shop and spent almost $200 on groceries we didn’t even know we needed. I totally DIY as much as I can – cheaper, better tasting, and healthier for sure, but even good quality raw ingredients really add up! I’m with you on the food hoarding…2 fridges + chest freezer 🙂 At least if the zombies come, we’ll be good for months.
    Sofia // From the Land we Live on recently posted…A Belgian Feast: Chicken Waterzooi

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet
    February 18, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Well right now Pat and I are trying to save money for a baby! But we do want to have a trip to Vermont and enjoy some good food/ fun before baby is born. I have never made my own pasta sauce and this one looks delicious! Pat likes spicy sauces, so I think this will be a hit for him!
    Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet recently posted…Coffee, Donuts & “Latelys”

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    February 19, 2015 at 11:51 am

I totally hear you on the food budget stuff: since I started eating omnivore again, my bills have crept up! So I think it’s great you are starting Meatless Mondays! And this sauce looks so delicious, I’m definitely going to have to try it!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…new look & a pancake round-up

Em @ Love A Latte
    February 19, 2015 at 12:43 pm

All my money goes to good food. Ok, not all of it, but the serious majority!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Confessions of a New Mama (Two)

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    February 25, 2015 at 12:01 am

My grocery bill is out of control. I don’t buy much meat anymore since Joe isn’t footing that bill… I’m trying to eat through my pantry and not buy non-produce things but I’m out of miso paste and it’s stressing me out.
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…San Francisco Staycation Recap