breakfast gluten-free pancakes/waffles/french toast

Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles

May 3, 2015

These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you’ll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!

These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you'll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!It’s crazy to think that a year ago I was working on my first ecookbook! How I managed to develop, cook, test again and put together 40 breakfast recipes in 7 weeks is still beyond me. Sometimes I think I might be crazy…and then I remember that I definitely am.

I taught a “How To Build an Ebook for your Brand” course a few weeks ago and I realized in developing the course how little desire I have to develop another ebook. People have asked me if I would do it again and I think they’re surprised to hear when I tell them no. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the process (though it was frustrating at times) or that it wasn’t successful, I just feel like I’ve “been-there, done-that” and I’m ready for bigger and better things.

I’ve realized lately that this attitude has permeated many areas of life. At one point I would have said yes to anything and everything, but these days I’m more apt to say no, even if I struggle with it on occasion.

These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you'll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!I’ve learned many lessons in running a business but the biggest one has got to be on learning to say no. It’s easy to think that every opportunity is worthwhile when you’re still growing, but I’m realizing that spending all my time on a million different opportunities that might pay off leaves little room for those big-breaks that will require more time and energy than you could imagine.

Some goes for people. I can’t be at every networking event or maintain every single relationship in my life. My time is limited and precious and I want to spend it with those who raise me up, rather than tear me down.

It’s probably one of the hardest parts about growing up; Realizing that certain activities and people of the past don’t quite fit with your future.

These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you'll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!I’ve been doing a lot of self-development reading lately (we’re gonna pretend that doesn’t carry the stigma of “self-help books”…) and I loved this quote I came across from Hal Elrod:

Who you become today will determine what you are capable of creating tomorrow”.

I think this quote is spot on. I’ll admit that lately I’ve been ruthlessly living by these words, but there are so many new things I want to create that holding onto patterns, behaviours and people of the past that don’t fit with this future seems futile.

So nope, I won’t be doing a Healthy Breakfast eCookbook part #2, or any ebook for that matter but in doing so I open up space for new opportunities that I am so prepared to tackle.

Who woulda thought that waffles would make me so philosophical? BTW you should make them. They’re damn good.

Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

• 2 cups oat flour (ground-up oats) - GF if necessary
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup cooked & mashed sweet potato*
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 2 T coconut oil + coconut oil spray for waffle iron (I like this one)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk) - dairy-milk will work too
  • 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • Tools: Waffle Iron - I like this one.

1. Heat up your waffle iron according to instructions.
  2. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder and spices.
  3. In a separate bowl combine sweet potato, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and milk.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.
  5. Stir in blueberries.
  6. Spray waffle iron with coconut oil and add about 1/2 a cup of batter to the waffle maker. Cook until waffle maker says it's complete.
  7. Top with maple syrup, nut butter or jam.
  8. These freeze well and make a great quick breakfast if you put them in the toaster in the morning.

Notes

*to quickly cook the sweet potato, pierce several times with a fork and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Cut open and scoop out flesh.

These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you'll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!Do you agree with my philosophy? Are you into self-development reading and books? If so, what have you been loving? We can swap lists!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    May 3, 2015 at 10:27 am

These waffles sound so good! There really is nothing better than a good blueberry waffle, and I’m sure the sweet potato takes it over the top.

And I will say, learning how to say no is a key life skill that I desperately need to learn. One day at a time I suppose!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Mahi Mahi Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

May 3, 2015 at 11:29 am

Just had sweet potatoes this mornaaaaaaaang! OMG these look awesome!!
    Cassie recently posted…“Fit” is Not a Size

Denise
    May 3, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I don’t have a waffle iron. Was wondering if I could cook them like a pancake? Thanks

May 4, 2015 at 10:17 pm

certainly! You’ll just have to thin out the batter slightly with a little extra liquid.

She Rocks Fitness
    May 3, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Well don’t these look delicious! I am not reading any self-development books, but one of my reads on my nightstands is about nutrition, nourishing, and learning and knowing your body, so in a way it is kind of a self-development book. I am working on loving my body more, inside and out. 🙂
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…One Of THOSE Runs…

May 4, 2015 at 10:18 pm

I totally count that as a self-development book! It’s about nourishing the mind and the body 🙂

Lauren
    May 3, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I have to say I love a lot of self development and with that comes the self development books. I have currently got my face in one called “The Happiness Trap”, it is really making my life so much better already – highly recommend it. I also am reading “The Power of Now” – HEAVY going and didn’t make a lot of sense to me when I first read it a few years ago. But now I have “matured…” some of it is sinking in 🙂
    Also totally agree with you on not maintaining relationships that don’t lift you up. Ain’t no one got time for toxic relationships that bring you down from your truth.
    P.s. The waffles look great 😉
    Lauren recently posted…Reflections On Term One – I’m Back

May 4, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Amen sista! The Power of Now was a lot to handle. Gonna have to check out The Happiness Trap! Thanks, lovely!

lynsey | lynseylovesfood
    May 4, 2015 at 10:01 am

they look damn good. Killed it lady! xo
    lynsey | lynseylovesfood recently posted…Welcome May

May 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Thank you, lovely! Coffee date once I’m back from Minnesota pleaaaaase xoxo

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    May 4, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I need to get my life together now that I’m done university. Clearly the secret to figuring it all out is buying a waffle maker and making these waffles. I’ll let ya know what I discover haha
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Mexican Spiced Roasted Black Beans

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    May 6, 2015 at 8:53 am

DEF agree with your philosophy. I think right now I definitely need to surround myself with people who are achieving things, striving for me and overall, positive. I’m working on a lot of self-development, as you know, and it’s not easy – being complacent or sad or not challenging yourself is what is easy.
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Race Recap: 2015 Pittsburgh Marathon

Stella
    May 8, 2015 at 5:28 am

Lol, I love your philosophical self Davida! 🙂 And reading about your development and business progress is an inspiration. I hope one day I’ll get to where you are and your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated! 🙂
    Stella recently posted…Tender and Sweet Carrot Stew

Michael
    May 8, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Is the above recipe accurate? I used 2 cups of flour and only 1/2 cup of milk and it came out needing at least two more cups of milk. Has anyone else had luck?

May 9, 2015 at 12:26 am

It definitely should not need 2 more cups of milk! Did you use oat flour? And get all of the eggs? I’ve needed equal parts flour to milk in waffles…I’m curious to hear about your experience!

Michael
        May 10, 2015 at 9:52 am

ARGGG! I was using Coconut Flour ! I’m going to try it with oat, like it calls for.

May 10, 2015 at 12:03 pm

yes! Unfortunately it isn’t a 1-to-1 substitute with coconut flour! You need MUCH more liquid or a lot less coconut flour if you do choose to substitute.

• Raine
            September 10, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Can you substitute a gluten free all purpose flour blend?

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven
            September 12, 2016 at 9:25 am

Sure! You may need to add a bit more almond milk depending on how absorbent your blend is but should work just fine.

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    May 9, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I’ve never tried a sweet potato waffle before and I definitely am inspired to now! These look awesome.. and very delicious too.
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Smoky Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cookies