balls/bites gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls

October 6, 2015

Welcome to day numero dos of Energy Ball Week! I hope you guys liked the pie ball recipes you got yesterday. Although the real treat was really the unveiling of my true stalkerish tendencies and weakness for ball jokes. That post was quite enlightening for me…

Onto today’s post! Truthfully, I have no idea what I should be talking about. These Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls are amazing (as are all energy balls coming your way this week) and I’m currently enjoying them with a juice at a cafe in San Diego, but I honestly don’t think that that will make for an interesting post.

I was a little bit afraid going into the week about what exactly I would write about for 7 days in a row. Coming up with a list of energy ball recipes? Easy. Executing them, testing and photographing them? A walk in the park. But 7 days of writing? I’m moderately terrified.

Bring together tart lemon with sweet coconut in these nutrition-packed Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls. These portable snacks help you curb your hunger when you need that 3:00 PM pick-me-up!Writing has never been something that scares me, but it’s definitely something I’ve avoided in the past. In university I majored in psychology because it meant that 90% of my exams would be multiple choice and not require me to have to write anything. I even hate writing recipes down on paper, which kind of shocked Lee. I either bank on my memory (which is impressive) or I’m all digital baaaaaybay.

I think it’s the fact that I put a lot of pressure on myself when it comes to writing that really takes away from the experience of it for me. It’s especially true when it comes to the blog. I want to really care about everything that I write and share on this space. I know a lot of bloggers focus on getting their keywords in (did I mention Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls? SEO homie!) or really don’t care that much about their writing, but for whatever reason I take it very seriously.

If my bounce rate is indication, I should probably stop caring so much since it’s clear most of you skim over to the recipe.

Bring together tart lemon with sweet coconut in these nutrition-packed Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls. These portable snacks help you curb your hunger when you need that 3:00 PM pick-me-up!But sometimes you just can’t let the numbers dictate all.

So it’s looking like energy ball week will be a long week of writing for me. But instead of stressing about it, I’m viewing it as a challenge. I’ve been really wanting to work on my writing skills and find a way to be authentic and real without feeling so much pressure to express this in my writing.

I’m hopeful that I’ll succeed at it, but worse-comes-to-worse none of you a reading anyway haha. God only knows what will end up on the blog tomorrow…this should be interesting.

Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls

Cook Time 10 mins

1. Add dates to food process and process until broken up into pea-sized bits.
  2. Add cashews, 1/2 cup of coconut and chia seeds and process until well combined.
  3. Add lemon zest, juice and sea salt and process for 1 more minute until dough comes together into a large ball.
  4. Roll into 18 balls and then roll balls in remaining 1/2 cup of coconut.
  5. Place in freezer for 15 minutes and then store in fridge for up to 1 month.

Notes

*Make sure your dates are sticky. If not, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes to soften and then drain.

Bring together tart lemon with sweet coconut in these nutrition-packed Lemon Coconut Chia Energy Balls. These portable snacks help you curb your hunger when you need that 3:00 PM pick-me-up!Make sure you head on over to Fit Foodie Finds to check out her recipe for day #2 of #EnergyBallWeek! She made PB and J Energy Balls that are the ultimate healthy grab and go snack! P.S. they’re vegan and high-protein!

PB-J-ENERGY-BALLSHow do you feel about writing? Is it something you enjoy doing or does it feel like a chore? What should I talk about tomorrow? Prompts welcome 😉

Kristina
    October 6, 2015 at 7:32 am

I actually love to read blog posts, for me what attracts me to a blog are 1. pictures, we are visual creatures. And then what will decide if I will come back to the blog, is the writing. You can see (read) when a person is genuine and when not. The recipe is just something extra, I normally only read it when I decide to make that thing (especially if it’s a long one).
    Good luck with the writing!
    Kristina recently posted…A merveilleux for my merveilleux

October 6, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I’m the same way. Since I’m not usually looking for recipes (I’m far too eccentric to ever follow somebody’s recipe haha) I’m usually there for the person instead. I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one!

Allisha
    October 6, 2015 at 9:29 am

For what it’s worth, I read through your blogs but I do love to see whats in the recipe first! Maybe you could write about how you have come to love said ‘balls’. I understand they are quick and easy and delicious but some background on all the recipes would be great! …just a thought.

By the way…so happy I ran across your blog a couple months back! I look forward to your posts..

October 6, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Your wish is my command! Full explanation coming in Thurday’s post. Stay tuned!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    October 6, 2015 at 11:06 am

You know what’s funny? I actually really like your writing style – it’s one of the reasons I have continued to come back to your blog over the past few years! And the amazing recipes of course 😉

October 6, 2015 at 1:17 pm

oyyyyyy you made my day! And I absolutely love having you hear. I’m so happy the blogging world was able to connect us! xoxo

Sara @ Oats & Rows
    October 6, 2015 at 11:07 am

Ahhh lemon + coconut is one of my all time favorite flavor combos. I must make these soon!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…How To Meal Prep When You Don’t Have Time

October 6, 2015 at 1:16 pm

me too!!! Actually anything lemon for that matter. I feel like lemon always gets overlooked for some reason!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    October 6, 2015 at 11:23 am

These look so yummy and summer-like due to the bright yellow spot of the lemons 🙂 I love reading your rambling words an posts, so just keep it up, I enjoy how honest and sharing you are (and at times shy 😉
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Peach Jam with Vanilla Rum and Thyme

October 6, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I was hoping that by making these I could bring summer back 😉

She Rocks Fitness
    October 6, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I go through phases when the words just come right out and then other times it is a big struggle. I find that when I disconnect and go for a walk, I come back a lot more focused and refreshed…PS: I’m going to do this NOW…Love this ball combo!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Hamsa & Harmony GIVEAWAY

October 6, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Just got home from a walk and feeling the urge to write…same person 🙂

anna
    October 6, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I have a writing prompt! i was asked this question the other day and had no idea what to say.

“if you had the everyone in the world’s attention for 30 seconds, what would you say?”

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm idk.

Hilary
    October 6, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I don’t think you have to worry about the writing with these flavors! These are such a nice break from the fall flavors (dare I say) I can’t wait to try them out for snacks next week!
    Hilary recently posted…Tips For Meal Prepping

October 6, 2015 at 7:10 pm

you mean people are overdoing it on the pumpkin and apple recipes? I didn’t notice 😉 lol xx

Gemma
    October 6, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Energy Ball Week? I didn’t know it! I’m gonna have so much fun this week trying all these yummy recipes. I love this kind of healthy on the go snacks, never tried energy balls with lemon and yours look so delish! =)

xoxo

October 6, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Thanks, lovely! I’ve been really into this refreshing flavor lately!

Elsbeth
    October 7, 2015 at 7:30 am

Beautiful pictures, especially the one with the stacked cups and lemon slices!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    October 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm

This combo sounds delicious! I usually read blogs just for the stories and to feel a good connection. I love reading the recipes too, but barely make them since I’m trying to create stuff for my own blog.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Making the Gains – Kettlebell and Burpee Burner

October 9, 2015 at 6:23 am

That’s exactly how I am so I’m glad to know I’m not the only one 🙂

Ashley
    March 1, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I actually found this post while taking a break from updating some of my own recipe posts so that they have more words! Writing was never something I focused on because I have a bad habit of skimming to the recipe when i look at other blogs too so I figured most people don’t care about what I write above the recipe. But I’m actually trying to read what people write now because sometimes it’s really interesting and this post spoke to me because of how slack I’ve been with my own writing.

Also, it’s kind of inspired me to do a week of smoothie recipes because I have so many of those I want to post.

Jenesse Sammons
    May 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm

These came out so delicious. I used 1 c of oat flour in place of the cashews and hemp seeds in place of chia. Coconut and lemon I’d a match made in food heaven! My 2 yr old loves these. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

briana
    May 31, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Is there something else I could use to replace the dates? I am allergic 🙁

Jet
    August 12, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Is there a way to find out the nutrient amount in one ball?

Catherine
    June 23, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Can I leave out the cashews?

Jodi
    August 19, 2017 at 12:39 am

Would these freeze well?

Bridget
    August 23, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Just made these. Love them! Easy to make and a nice lemony-tart flavor. Thanks for sharing!