dinner gluten-free vegan vegetarian

The Ultimate Buddha Bowl

November 13, 2015

There’s millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls out there but I can assure you this one is the ultimate! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the ultimate buddha bowl will become your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!

There's millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls out there but I can assure you this one is the ultimate! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the ultimate buddha bowl will become your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!If you’re from Toronto and even remotely interested in health then you have heard of Fresh Restaurants. They’re basically a chain of healthy/vegetarian restaurants across the city that are a healthy foodie’s mecca. The food is so good that it turns people into vegans.

I’m just kidding. It’s good but not THAT good.

But if there was one food that could turn me vegan and subsequently spend every single meal at Fresh it would be their buddha bowl. I go weak at the knees just thinking about it.

There's millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls out there but I can assure you this one is the ultimate! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the ultimate buddha bowl will become your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!Truth is, I’m actually in love with their buddha sauce. It’s sort of irrelevant what you pour it onto because the goodness is all in the sauce. I think that’s kind of what buddha bowls have in common; there’s nothing inherently similar about them to define their own category other than the fact that it’s likely some sort of peanutty sauce that is absolutely bomb.

If you’re a healthy Toronto foodie you have likely eaten at Fresh with me multiple times. It’s where I take visiting guests who are into this world or where I meet up with other wellness bloggers. You’re pretty much guaranteed to have a good meal.

And if you happen to be one of those people then I have likely ordered one of the following: The Green Goddess bowl with Buddha Sauce OR the sweet potato fries with curry aoli.

I don’t deviate because when you find what sticks, you don’t mess with it.

There's millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls out there but I can assure you this one is the ultimate! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the ultimate buddha bowl will become your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!While I could probably eat every single meal at Fresh, my wallet certainly would not be pleased about that. Fortunately, I’ve developed a couple of skills over the years that make recreating my beloved Buddha Bowl at home.

What I love about my buddha bowl is that I get to pick exactly what I want it to include so of course I went for broccoli and kale. The original buddha bowl from Fresh uses cucumbers and tomatoes but I’m a green freak so I gave you a double-whammy of them. But still, it doesn’t matter what you include in it because once you master the sauce you are golden.

Nikky was even over the other day and told me it tasted just like Fresh’s version. Funny thing is, I still go in there and order it at least once a month. Sometimes food tastes better just because you didn’t have to make…either that or I’m lazy. The latter may be more accurate.

The Ultimate Buddha Bowl

Cook Time 40 mins

• 1 cup uncooked brown rice (I like short-grain brown rice)
  • 1/2 head of kale, destemmed and chopped

• 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 T rice wine vinegar
  • 2 T tamari
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp freshly minced ginger
  • 1/4 cup water

1. Cook rice according to package instructions (I cook mine with 2 cups of water in a rice cooker)
  2. Add half of coconut oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat.
  3. Add garlic and cook for 1 min
  4. Add broccoli and kale and 1/4 cup water and cover immediately to steam for 3 mins.
  5. Cook for another 2 minutes before removing and setting aside.
  6. Add in other half of coconut oil, tofu, salt and pepper and cook until tofu has browned on each side (5-7 mins).
  7. Remove tofu and add to bowl with broccoli and kale.

For the Buddha Sauce:

1. Bring pot back up to medium-high heat and add 1 tsp of coconut oil.
  2. Add in onion and cook for for 3-4 mins or until translucent.
  3. Add garlic and cook for 1 min.
  4. Add onion and garlic to a blender or food processor along with all other buddha sauce ingredients. Blend until well-combined.
  5. Divide rice and top with tofu-veggie mixture. Drizzle with buddha sauce and mix to combine.
  6. Add freshly sliced tomatoes, if desired.

There's millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls out there but I can assure you this one is the ultimate! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the ultimate buddha bowl will become your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!What do you include in your Buddha Bowls? Do you find that sometimes food tastes better just cause you didn’t make it?

Lee
    November 13, 2015 at 7:23 am

We walked by Fresh like 14 times and you told me how amazing it was. Next time I’m in town. FRESH IT UP. I’m glad you eat short grain brown rice. Not sure we could be friends if you were into that long grain shiz.

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    November 13, 2015 at 9:41 am

I distinctly remember that restaurant from my visit to Toronto based on your recommendation! It was awesome – but I’d totally rather make my own (unless it’s one of those few times a month I want to be lazy too!).
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Turkey Orzo Soup

Kristina
    November 13, 2015 at 10:50 am

That sauce sounds delicious. I would totally drown roasted veggies in it.
    Kristina recently posted…Speculoos (gingerbread) cashew butter

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    November 13, 2015 at 1:41 pm

That sauce looks suuuuper delicious!!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…How to Make Healthy Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches

She Rocks Fitness
    November 13, 2015 at 5:21 pm

This looks so yummy and perfect for any night of the year…I have never made a buddha bowl…shame on me!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Switch Up Your Routine With A Skulpt Fitness Tracker

November 16, 2015 at 8:15 am

Shame on you! Kidding 😉 Now you can easily fix that!

November 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm

There’s nothing better than recreating your favourite restaurant meals to enjoy at home! Love that you posted this so now I can try making a Chelsea friendly version with sunflower seed butter. 🙂
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Fall Vegetable Recipes I’m Loving

November 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

Was thinking that as I was plating this recipe how great it would be with sunflower seed butter. Gonna have to try it for you 🙂

Miss Polkadot
    November 14, 2015 at 11:23 am

So much yes to peanut sauce and I know those sauces that make everything taste good. Given I don’t know if I’ll ever make it to Toronto it’s great I can now bring Toronto [or at least some of its best food ;)] home.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…WIAW: Real food versus protein bars

November 16, 2015 at 8:13 am

exactly 😉 I don’t know how thrilled they are that I’m sharing this recipe, but I think I’m doing a good deed for the world haha

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 15, 2015 at 1:59 am

Buddha bowls are the shizzzz. And that peanut sauce, omg. Drooling.
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Roasted Butternut Squash Fall Kale Salad

November 16, 2015 at 11:22 am

I have to try that sauce! I love buddha bowls–my favorite add-ins are mushrooms, eggplant, sweet potatoes, tofu, eggs, broccoli, kale, peppers, avocado, squash and sea vegetables! Oh and I never forget to put in Sriracha!
    Cassie recently posted…Best Cereal Roundup

Lynne
    January 23, 2016 at 6:18 pm

How far in advance can the Buddha sauce be made/ how long does it hold? Thanks! Looking forward to making

January 24, 2016 at 11:05 am

It keeps for about a week so feel free to make it in advance 🙂 Enjoy!

Diana
    February 9, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Just made this. The sauce was AMAZING! I want to cover it in everything. Buddha bowls are my favorite lunch, dinner, etc. Would love more of these types of recipes

February 9, 2016 at 9:03 pm

amazing! So happy to hear you enjoyed it. I am in love with the buddha sauce. Will get working on more recipes similar to this one 🙂

Bita
    April 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Hi Davida- the egg thing, shashushka? 🙂 sounds amazing. I love the sound of All those spices!!! Thank you for sharing your memories of brunch and this super tasty sounding recipe honey!!

Kelli Casey
    August 14, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Is the Tofu soft, firm or xtra firm?

Bec @ CookLoveEat.com
    September 27, 2016 at 9:32 am

Totally agree food tastes much better when you don’t have to cook it – not to mention the dishes!!!
    Wondering if I made the buddha sauce in bigger quantity – how long do you think it would keep fresh?
    Loving buddha bowls – thanks!
    Bec @ CookLoveEat.com recently posted…Caring For Quality Kitchen Knife Sets

Victoria A
    October 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I have made this 3 times already! I have used almond butter instead of peanut butter. My mom has also never been a fan of nut butters but this recipe converted her. Thanks girl!

ak chan
    October 24, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Do you know that Buddhist do not consume garlic and onion??????????????????? how can you call it Buddha bowl and Buddha sauce???????????????????

Preston Stewart
    September 11, 2017 at 7:52 pm

How many servings would you say this recipe makes?