breakfast gluten-free paleo raw smoothies vegan

Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie

December 15, 2015

Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!

Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!If you haven’t noticed by now, there’s been a lot of year end recaps around here. As the new year fast approaches, it’s only natural to reflect on the past and some of the best and worst decisions of this past year.

This is especially true when it comes to our health. Though I’m not one to set grandiose New Years health goals, I certainly like to look back on the choices I’ve made and gage them to how I’ve felt in past years. I can honestly say that physically, emotionally and mentally I’m feeling the best I ever have.

I’ve learned to accept that these feelings are fleeting and we can really only judge on a day-by-day basis, but I thought I would share some of the decisions I’ve made for myself that I believe contributed to my current status.

In terms of exercise, discovering Barre3 made my body feel preettttty awesome. It’s a killer workout, works all of those muscles you usually ignore but need to build (i.e. your glutes) and it’s low-impact for my injury-prone bod. Then we got a dog so I’ve been walking even more than I usually do. All pretty low-impact (minus a few HIIT classes and some runs), but I’ve never felt stronger.

But health is more than just what you put on your body and how you move it. It’s also important what you put on it. Over the past two years I’ve been slowly transitioning my beauty and bath products to all-natural alternatives and this year I can say that 90% of my products are clean and green. My skin has never felt or looked better. Not to mention knowing I’m not slathering my skin with chemicals…just sayin’.

Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!But in terms of food, hands-down the best decision I’ve made was starting my day with a smoothie. I’ve always been an oatmeal person (pancakes and waffles are usually a weekend thing), but with oatmeal I find that I want to snack like 2 hours later. Sometimes this is okay, but other times I just want to be full and satiated and not spend 10 minutes staring at my fridge trying to figure out what to snack on.

Smoothies are the ultimate satiating breakfast. Especially ones like this Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie. They’re packed full of energizing foods that are so SO good for you. I always add avocado and greens to my smoothies because the healthy fats keep you full and why not get an extra boost of greens for breakfast?

The possibilities really are endless. I tend to get into smoothie ruts but as a new season sets-in I find myself wanting to change things up. So with the holidays and New Year in the air I wanted to start my day with some peppermint goodness.

I can’t wait to see what healthy habits I adopt in 2016, but 2015 is gonna be a pretty hard year to top!

Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie

Cook Time 5 mins

1. Place all ingredients except toppings into a blender and blend until well-combined.
  2. Sprinkle with toppings of choice.
  3. Eat with a spoon or drink on its own or with a straw.

Notes

*or substitute with another tablespoon of raw cacao

Try this seasonal Peppermint Chocolate Avocado Smoothie recipe for the perfect healthy breakfast to start your day. With raw cacao, peppermint, avocado and greens, a healthy breakfast has never tasted so good!Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. I’ve had such a blast collaborating with them this year. I hope you’ve enjoyed the posts as much as I have!

What was the best health-change you adopted this year? Any goals for 2016?

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health
    December 15, 2015 at 7:06 am

im definitely not an oatmeal person besides overnight oats with lots of fruits..i am your smoothie girl too and love this combination!
    dixya @ food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Homemade Hashbrowns

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 8:44 am

Thanks, lovely! I’ve been totally convinced by smoothies! Not sure I could ever go back…

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    December 15, 2015 at 7:59 am

I love oatmeal in all, but it only satisfies me for a few hours! I need more healthy fats like avocado in the morning, but I don’t like savory for breakfast! Im glad this is a sweet and enjoyable breakfast!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Chocolate Gingerbread Cups {Paleo + Vegan}

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 8:43 am

Exactly! That was always my struggle. I need healthy fats and a bit more protein but I like a sweet breakfast! I’m so happy I was finally convinced by smoothies!

Lee
    December 15, 2015 at 9:04 am

I need to learn your waysssssss. So healthy. Such a pretty lookin’ smoothie. Never would have thought to add avo! GENIUS.

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    December 15, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Love thissss. I recently just added avocado to one of my morning smoothies the other week and HELLO CREAMY GOODNESS. I never want it any other way now. Beautiful colors in your cup (yes, even the brown…)
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 5:05 pm

hehe even the brown 😉 And I know!! Once you add avo to your smoothie you can never go back!

She Rocks Fitness
    December 15, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Best health change this year was probably adding a heck of a lot more fat…It’s my favorite…all the nut butter, avocados, healthy oils…I do not fear it, yet I look forward to it for every meal…oh and sting cheeses too, because obviously they go so well with delicious wine…That counts right? 😉
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

The Healthy Maven
      December 16, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I love love love a lady that loves fat! It keeps me satiated and energized. Now how to we convince everyone else that they need more healthy fat?!

Lauren
    December 15, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Avocado in smoothies is the best to make it creamy and satiating 🙂
    Totally agree on morning oats, they never satisfied me for long. I find the higher fat I go, the more satisfied I am and with steady blood sugars… I have been adding grass fed gelatin to my smoothies and its so good for thickening and goodness 🙂
    This smoothie looks divine as do all your recipes. I am in love with how thick it looks. We have a smoothie at work like this and its like drinking liquid after eights. Amazing!
    Lauren recently posted…Christmas Gift Ideas For a Health and Wellness Nut

The Healthy Maven
      December 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Ooooooh gelatin is a great idea! Plus it’s awesome for your skin and hair! Great idea to add that in.

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    December 15, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I got into smoothie bowls this year and I just can’t. stop. I love adding avocado! I’ve been in the process of buying more natural (and cruelty-free) beauty products, and I’m trying to take better care of my skin. But I think it all starts with what you put IN your body!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…10 Healthy Holiday Breakfast Recipes (that are vegan, too!)

The Healthy Maven
      December 16, 2015 at 1:56 pm

For sure! It’s hard to do it all and fortunately we don’t have to make all of these transitions overnight. Glad to hear you’ve made the leap into natural beauty products!