gluten-free soup soup sunday vegan vegetarian

SOUPER SUNDAY: Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup

January 24, 2016

A healthy vegetarian recipe for Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup, this dish will quickly become a lunch staple. Just whip up a pot at the beginning of the week and have healthy meals for days!I am someone who whole-heartedly believes in Karma. I feel strongly that what you put out in the world comes back to you. Well I must have done something absolutely horrible because it appears the world has it out for me.

Namely: THERE IS A WORLDWIDE SHORTAGE OF MY TWO FAVORITE FOODS, cauliflower and avocados!

What in the world have I done to deserve this? Okay, I could think of a few situations in which I maybe didn’t behave at my most optimal, but really, Guacapolypse and Cauliscarcity all in the same year? I’m living in my version of hell.

A healthy vegetarian recipe for Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup, this dish will quickly become a lunch staple. Just whip up a pot at the beginning of the week and have healthy meals for days!I honestly didn’t notice that there was a cauliflower shortage until my friend DK pointed it out. I’m the type of person who will spend a lot of money on food. I’m all for a good deal, but the majority of my expendable income goes towards satiating my hunger. So even though I won’t pay for a new piece of clothing for myself, I’ll happily spend $9 on a head of organic cauliflower.

In hindsight, it did seem a little bit odd that cauliflower was so expensive, but when it’s one of your favorite foods, you just don’t think twice.

Apparently cold weather in areas that typically grow cauliflower is responsible for the shortage, but I’m convinced it’s our current obsession with trying to replace carbs with cauliflower. I’m all for the trend, but I’d appreciate if you all refrained from buying cauliflower just so I don’t have to fear that the grocery store will be out of my beloved vegetable.

Then again, I clearly have bad karma so I can pretty much guarantee I won’t be finding cauliflower at the grocery store for the next year…

A healthy vegetarian recipe for Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup, this dish will quickly become a lunch staple. Just whip up a pot at the beginning of the week and have healthy meals for days!All joking aside, this may be my favorite soup so far from SOUPER SUNDAY (P.S. I have no idea why I insist on writing this in uppercase…). Being that it involves cauliflower, this is no surprise! But I’ve also loved hearing which soups you’ve been loving so far. Lots of love for the Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup and Quinoa Tortilla Soup.

I’m excited to bring you even more soups and have so many ideas that I cannot wait to share! I’d love to hear from you guys as to which soup recipes you’d like to see. So far I’ve been keeping the recipes vegetarian but am open to adding some meat into the mix if you’re interested. Just let me know below.

Excuse me while I go repent my sins and get myself out of karma-jail.

Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 50 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour
  • Yield: 8 cups

1. In a large pot add oil and bring to medium-high heat.
  2. Saute onion for about 5 mins or until translucent.
  3. Add in garlic and cook for another minute before adding the cauliflower.
  4. Top cauliflower with lentils, vegetable stock, diced tomatoes, curry paste and spices.
  5. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 20 mins.
  6. Remove top and let simmer for additional 20 mins.
  7. Serve warm.
  8. Will keep in fridge for up to 1 week or months in the freezer.

A healthy vegetarian recipe for Curried Cauliflower and Lentil Soup, this dish will quickly become a lunch staple. Just whip up a pot at the beginning of the week and have healthy meals for days!Do you believe in karma? What soup recipes would you like to see?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

January 24, 2016 at 8:57 am

Your timing on this recipe is impeccable. I have a very expensive and totally worth it head of cauliflower in my fridge at this very moment, along with some lentils I’ve been looking to put to use.

Also, I’m fairly certain the bulk of my money goes to food, even more so now that I’m harboring a tiny fugitive. She has a taste for expensive summer berries in the dead of winter. Clearly she is my child.

January 24, 2016 at 11:40 am

Um so this was the first thing I read this morning and burst out laughing in bed. I’m obsessed with future mini-Meg. She had great taste (expensive too…my kind of girl ;))

January 24, 2016 at 11:07 am

Meant to give you 5 stars but for some reason my computer only shows 2! LOVE lentils and cauliflower in a curry, let alone in soup!
    Cassie recently posted…Thai Green Vegetable Curry (vegan + gluten free)

Christine
    January 24, 2016 at 11:11 am

I cannot wait to make this. All I want is soup these days, but hearty ones. I’ve been in a buttercup chickpea soup rut and now I’ll add this one to the mix! Thank you so much!

January 24, 2016 at 11:41 am

Wonderful! All I want is soup too. It’s been fun to get creative with them and have a big variety in the fridge 🙂

Alexandra
    January 24, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Cauli and avo shortage is heart breaking!! I’m loving Souper Sunday posts! A veggie miso soup and split pea soup would be really nice to see on here 🙂

January 24, 2016 at 12:55 pm

A healthy split pea soup is on the list! Definitely need more miso-based soups on there. I’ll get working 😉

She Rocks Fitness
    January 24, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Wrote down all the ingredients to make it this week! 🙂 Haven’t had lentils in a long time and they are so good in the winter!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    January 24, 2016 at 2:30 pm

This looks amazing! Will def be making it on a chillier day here in Austin. My mom told me about the cauliflower storage but I haven’t noticed it. The prices are still about same as normal here.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Tahini Maple Roasted Cauliflower

January 24, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Lucky you! With the crappy Canadian dollar and El Nino, we’ve been hit hard here!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
        February 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Made it and it was awesome!! It wasn’t chilly out but I had to have it. And I just was eating some leftovers cold and it’s still delicious lol

February 2, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Wonderful! So happy you enjoyed it 🙂 Also I totally eat leftovers cold all the time…and yes even soup!

Jade
    January 24, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Ok 1) this totally happened to me two days ago. Boyfriend requested cauliflower and I didn’t even think about it until I got to the self-checkout and saw $9.50 for the head! Now I know why.

2) I have all the ingredients for this soup. And a lingering cold. This is happening. Woot.
    Jade recently posted…2016- Let do this

Sarah and Laura @ Wandercooks
    January 24, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Yes! Ah reminds us of home so much. We’ve made this so many times and LOVE the combo. We sometimes serve it with a sliced boiled egg at the bottom – so creamy!
    Sarah and Laura @ Wandercooks recently posted…Chunky Pumpkin Miso Soup with Tofu

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    January 25, 2016 at 5:08 pm

lolol I am so very sorry about your cauliflower shortage! When I saw your snap I just thought “yikes, standard Canadian grocery prices!” For example, why is cheese so expensive there?! ANYWAYS, random…
    I’m digging this soup, been loving my Thai Kitchen curry paste lately for everything!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Giant Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie [gluten-free]

January 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

I think it may have something to do with the dairy farmers of Canada having a stronghold on prices! #CanadaProblems…I’ll take the free healthcare though 😉

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    January 25, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Im about to throw a major fit when the day comes where there is no more avocado or cauliflower at trader joes, like thats no joke! Besides that point, I’m not a soup person at all, however, this soup makes me want to eat soup! I’m completely honest when I say this, I usually am never fond of a soup recipe, but this one looks amazing! Kudos to you 🙂
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Warm and Nourishing Bowl of Frothy Chai Spiced Oatmeal with Apple Noodles

January 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

Aw thank you! Well hopefully this can be the soup that changes your mind!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    January 25, 2016 at 11:27 pm

I went to the grocery store a few weeks ago and there was straight up NO CAULIFLOWER. None. Zilch. Not even a head of overpriced cauliflower. It was a really sad time. Thankfully my local stores have stepped up their cauliflower game, so I will need to step up my soup game. This sounds divine!

PS: I am a huge believer in karma. I can always tell when things are coming back around…good and bad…hehe
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Loaded Sweet Potato Skins

January 27, 2016 at 9:04 am

Omg NO CAULI?! What an atrocity! I should probably just be grateful that I have my overpriced cauliflower. Some is better than none. Also today in particular I’m believing in karma since I must have done something horrible yesterday to deserve this horrendous eye twitch I currently have haha. Make it stop!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    January 27, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I definitely believe in karma! If you put out negativity vibes, I wholeheartedly believe you will get those back. But a cauliflower and avocado shortage?!? What horrible things have I done to deserve this. Brb I’m going cry…then making this soup because I’ve been dying to recreate a curry cauliflower soup I had in Chicago, but I’ll just make yours 🙂
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Spiralized Asian Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing

January 28, 2016 at 10:22 am

We must have done something seriously horrible haha. Enjoy the soup, lovely!