gluten-free soup soup sunday vegan

Healthy Split Pea Soup

February 14, 2016

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.I couldn’t possibly write a whole post on Split Pea Soup and not mention where my love of split pea soup evolved from. If you’re from Toronto and have ever frequented United Baker’s Dairy Restaurant than you know how incredible their pea soup is. When I say this is the “soup of all soups”, I am not joking. This soup has superpowers….or SOUPerpowers if you will.

It also is packed full of a lifetime of memories. When I think of UB Pea Soup, my mind if flooded with a series of memories that take me from babyhood to present day. And as I’m sure you suspected, today’s post will indeed be taking you down memory lane.

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.Fun fact, I actually had no idea United Bakers was the name of the restaurant until well into my teens. We always called it “Phil’s” because one of the owner’s names is Phil. Despite a massive sign outside the restaurant, it never occured to me that Phil’s wasn’t the actual name of the restaurant. And to this day my family still calls it Phil’s 🙂

I also remember stopping there after Sunday School with my Dad so I could pick out a gingerbread cookie and they would sometimes give me a sprinkle cookie for free. No one makes sprinkle cookies quite like UB.

And when we were sick? Somehow UB’s pea soup always made an appearance and like I said, it has magical curing powers.

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.Unfortunately it didn’t have to ability to pass my exams for me, but my freezer at McGill was always stocked with pea soup that my parents would bring with them in a cooler from Toronto. Yes, my parents schlepped pea soup 5 hours just to ensure I didn’t starve during exams. I can single-handedly thank UB for feeding me while I last minute crammed for Intro to Neuro.

And of course there’s the magical moment when you bring your boyfriend there for the first time. It’s like a right of passage. And a mandatory ceiling mirror selfie is most definitely called for.

My most recent memory at UB was rekindling with the one and only Jess and fan-girling over Bonnie Stern. Who woulda thought that almost a year later she’d be the other half of Team Maven? Have I mentioned this pea soup does magical things?!

So in honour of a restaurant that holds a special place in my heart, I made my healthy version of split pea soup. It will never top the original (nor should it) but it’s full of love and memories…just without the butter 😉

Healthy Split Pea Soup

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 40 minutes
  • Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 6 bowls

1. Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins).
  3. Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.
  4. Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and spices and bring to boil.
  5. Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins.
  6. Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.
  7. Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly.
  8. Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender.
  9. Serve warm.
  10. Will keep for up to one week in the fridge and months in the freezer.

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.Is there a restaurant or dish that holds a lot of memories for you? Split Pea Soup, love it or love it?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

Victoria
    February 14, 2016 at 6:26 am

Sounds delicious! I love food that reminds of fond memories. I think for me it would be PB&J sandwiches, I was the most picky eater growing up (which is kind of ironic since I now have a food blog lol), so I lived off of PB&J for years. Although I don’t eat them in the same fashion anymore, I still enjoy making lots of PB&J inspired eats!
    Victoria recently posted…4 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups [Vegan, Gluten Free]

February 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I was so picky I wouldn’t eat jam! I wanted peanut butter sandwiches exclusively. I feel ya, sista 😉

Lisy
    February 14, 2016 at 9:06 am

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Do you think this recipe would work with yellow/red split peas?

lois
    February 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

Do you only cook this soup 20 minutes? Doesn’t it take much longer to cook split peas?

February 15, 2016 at 1:16 pm

It cooks for 30 minutes total but if you’re finding yours need a bit longer, feel free to continue simmering. I’ve never had mine require more than 30 though 🙂

February 14, 2016 at 10:38 am

This actually looks really good! It will probably taste really amazing!!
    Cassie recently posted…Crumbly Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies (sugar free)

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    February 14, 2016 at 10:54 am

I LOVE split peas! Which is funny, because I kinda hated them when I was a kid: big lover of regular green peas but didn’t care for the taste of the yellow split peas. This changed when I grew up and cooked split peas myself.

About 1,5 years ago I made a recipe of split pea soup with yoghurt that was so delicious that not only have I since made it regularly, but made me decide that if i ever publish a cookbook this recipe must be featured as my gift to humanity 😉

PS: And did C love UB’s meals? 😉
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole

February 15, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Of course he did 🙂 Funny cause I hated regular green peas but have always loved split peas! I’ve sort of grown out of that pickiness though, thankfully!

Bita
    February 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

That’s a sweet story Davida – thanks for sharing 😉 xo Bita

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    February 14, 2016 at 11:07 am

So I have to ask… is split pea soup a Canadian thing? Because it always reminds me of our annual Canada camping trip, when one of our family friends was making split pea soup for lunch and I A. had never had it and B. had never heard of it… but that could also partly be due to the fact that I grew up as a picky eater with almost equally picky eater parents…

However I am fairly certain I would like me some split pea soup these days 😉
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Giant Death by Chocolate Cookie [dairy-free]

Rachel
    February 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

I have never, ever posted a comment on a blog before but I had to comment on UB pea soup….my all time favorite soup and most nostalgic food item for me for sure. I didn’t even realize you were a Torontonian before this! United holds really fond memories for me. It was my Grandmother’s go-to until she was 100 and my kids just love when I take them there and they get a sprinkle cookie of their own. Thanks for making me smile today and I can’t wait to try to duplicate the soup at home!

February 15, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for commenting Rachel! I love how special UB is for so many families. It’s such a warm and welcoming place that holds so many dear memories for us and many others. How sweet to hear some of your own story with them. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    February 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

I don’t think I have ever had split pea soup! Your version sounds super tasty.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Roasted Garlic Toasted Quinoa

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    February 14, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Love it! I like ham and carrots in it 🙂

February 15, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Never tried it with ham but I’m sure it would be delish!

Jennifer
    February 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

This soup looks fantastic! Split peas are a great source of protein. They’re really cheap, too!

February 15, 2016 at 1:13 pm

exactly! awesome source of plant-protein and super cheap too!

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    February 15, 2016 at 5:14 pm

OMGGGGGGG when I saw this on your Snap story I was stoked. Now I’m like REALLY stoked because I have the golden recipe!!! So pinning this and so making this. Is it weird if I admit that split pea soup has been a pregnancy craving of mine? WITH hash browns. Heavenly….
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Comment on Blackened Fish Taco Salad Bowl by Chrissa

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    February 15, 2016 at 5:14 pm

February 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Not weird at all! Trust me – I’m going to have the strangest pregnancy cravings ever…when that comes…in 10 years haha

Brie
    February 16, 2016 at 9:37 am

I love split pea soup and can’t wait to try your recipe since I’ve haven’t had it with sweet potatoes! My hubby would never try pea soup then I showed him how much protein peas have and now it’s his favorite 🙂

February 16, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Sometimes it’s the protein that sells the boys 😉

Miss Polkadot
    February 16, 2016 at 9:49 am

Will you believe I’ve never had split pea soup and that it’s not known over here? It looks and sounds so incredibly comforting I think I might have to change that, though.
    Some of the most memory-inducing dishes for me include my grandma’s Rotkohl [recipe is on my blog], my mum’s Käsespätzle [ a kind of dumpling-like homemade pasta with fried onions and lots of cheese] and my adaption of Jamie Oliver’s cannelloni casserole.

February 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

All sound like amazing dishes! Isn’t it amazing how often we associate positive (and sometimes negative..) memories with food. Shows the power of a meal to bring people together!

Jen
    March 1, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just made this soup….. It is AMAZING!!!!! So freakin delicious. The only modification I made, was sub butternut squash for the sweet potato (forgot to buy it at the store 😄 ) Awesome job, Davida!!

Meghan
    November 20, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I just came across your website and this recipe searching for Healthy Split Pea soup. UB!!! I’m a Torontonian living in Oakland. This is so perfect, I’m making the recipe now. United Bakers has so many memories for me. Every time I go home I need to visit for soup and a Greek.

Vicki
    November 29, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Vicki
    November 29, 2017 at 4:03 pm

A favourite soup of our family also! Is there not a little bit of fresh dill in the soup and carrots too? Maybe I’m wrong. And of course it is always served with the thin egg noodles (my girls always asked for extra!) Oops – ‘just re-read the recipe – please ignore!

Marie MacChesney