cakes/cupcakes dessert gluten-free vegan

{VIDEO} Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes

February 2, 2016

Your favorite chocolatey dessert got a spicy makeover with these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes. With a gooey center and a high-protein, healthy shell made from black beans, you won’t want anything else for Valentine’s Day!

I love love. I’m a sucker for a good RomCom and whenever I meet a couple I have to ask them how they met. To me, there is nothing that highlights the goodness of humanity quite like a good love story.

I think what I enjoy most about love is seeing what makes other couples fall in love with each other. No couple is ever the same. The things that you find most attractive in your partner may be entirely unattractive in another relationship. And even if what you find most attractive in your partner is the opposite of what your partner finds most attractive in you, on some level it is complimentary enough to form the basis of affection. It really is a beautiful thing.

Kind of like beans and chocolate.

Speaking of beans and chocolate, check out my latest video on YouTube where I’m whipping up a batch of these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes!

Is it wrong that one of the things I value most in a partner is that he has complete and utter trust in my kitchen creations? I actually feel grateful to be with someone who never ever “yucks my yum” and is open-minded when it comes to sneaking black beans in his lava cakes and spinach in his brownies.

I also love that he does the dishes without me having to ask…

Your favorite chocolatey dessert got a spicy makeover with these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes. With a gooey center and a high-protein, healthy shell from black beans, you will only want this dessert recipe from now on.But even when you are very much in love (with a man who will eat beans in dessert and does the dishes by choice), sometimes you need to just spice things up a bit. It’s something that C and I have to remind ourselves of when we find ourselves too wrapped up in the daily grind of life.

Small gestures like sitting down and eating dinner together, or going out together without our phones go a long way, and while we certainly don’t make enough time for these gestures, they are incredibly meaningful when we do.

Your favorite chocolatey dessert got a spicy makeover with these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes. With a gooey center and a high-protein, healthy shell from black beans, you will only want this dessert recipe from now on.It’s part of the reason I love Valentine’s Day. Even though I think we should spread love everyday of the year, it’s nice to have a day dedicated to telling your loved ones how much they mean to you. It’s a day to “spice things up” and instead of the ordinary, let’s lay on the couch and watch 6 hours of Netflix, you have an excuse to do an activity together.

Or maybe you call your Mom to tell her you love her. Or spoil your dog even more than you already do (seriously though, I can’t imagine loving Rhett even more… I’m certifiably obsessed with the guy).

Or better yet, maybe you spice things up by adding a kick of Mexican flavor to my favorite Black Bean Lava Cakes. I can’t think of a happier way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than by feeding them chocolate 🙂

Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Make flax egg and set aside.
  3. In food processor combine black beans, maple syrup, applesauce, almong butter, and apple cider vinegar. Pulse to combine (about 1 minute)
  4. Add in cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, sea salt, baking powder and flax egg. Process until combined (about 1 minute)
  5. Grease 4 5oz ramekins with coconut oil. Make sure to grease well.
  6. Add a 1/4 cup of batter to each ramekin.
  7. Sprinkle some chocolate chips in the center of each and cover each ramekin evenly with remaining batter.
  8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins.
  10. Use a knife to loosen edges and then flip ramekins over on a plate. They should come loose easily.
  11. Serve immediately for best results.

Notes

*Feel free to use an egg if you aren't vegan

simply-logoDisclaimer: This post was sponsored by Simply Organic. I was compensated for my time and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting The Healthy Maven and the brands that make THM possible!

Are you a Valentine’s Day fan? Are you a sucker for love?

Fit Foodie Lee
    February 2, 2016 at 9:31 am

Wahh this looks insane! Love the cayenne pepper touch. Also- your hair is beyond adrobz in dat vid. Nice job Vids!

February 2, 2016 at 9:49 am

Magic happens in the kitchen when I do my hair..you should see it right now. Looking hawt.

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    February 2, 2016 at 9:37 am

You’re just the cutest! I love when my husband helps me do the dishes too. While he never fails to remind me how much I love making huge messes, he still helps me clean up without grumbling too much about it 🙂
    I’m honestly NOT big into Valentine’s Day, or I haven’t been in the past… but this year feels a little different. Maybe because it’ll be the first year being married, or that my husband and I are going through a potential (exciting, fun, nerve-wracking!) big change that has brought us closer, and it makes me want to shower him with love more than ever this Valentine’s Day! (I’m being weirdly gushy right now, how did you do this to me!?)

February 2, 2016 at 9:50 am

this was the cutest comment and made me so so happy. I told you I LOVE LOVE!!!

Erin
    February 2, 2016 at 9:52 am

Two of my fav. things: black beans and chocolate! I am SO going to make these for my family on Valentines Day!

February 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Me too! I love how well the chocolate masks the black beans but I’m super into the fudgy texture of the black beans. It’s a win-win! Enjoy 🙂

Hilary
    February 2, 2016 at 10:14 am

This sounds amazing! Perfect for vday too and I honestly love asking couples how they met too!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    February 2, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I love your outfit and hair style in the video, too cute!
    Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted…Detox Kale Salad with Lemon Avocado Dressing

February 2, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Wow, these look magnificent! I’ve been wanting to try black bean pastries for the longest time.
    Cassie recently posted…Easy 5-Minute Sriracha Mango Tofu

Lindsey Bomgren
    February 2, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Your videos are bomb.com! <3 you!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    February 2, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Can I just make this for myself and not share it with my boyfriend?? 😉 These look so delicious. Thanks for making them vegan! Can’t wait to watch the video (as soon as I’m out of class. ugh)
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Barbecue Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

February 2, 2016 at 5:41 pm

DUH! These were definitely gone before the bf even got home haha

Lauren
    February 3, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Loving your hair like that Davida! We never celebrate valentines day but this year we may go crazy and do something for exactly those reasons! Life is biiiizay and any excuse to have quality time is a good one 🙂
    Lauren recently posted…Whole 30 – Week 3 – Feeling Good

February 4, 2016 at 8:01 am

Exactly! It may be lame and commercial but I’m never gonna hate on a holiday that encourages us to love a little more!

Bita
    February 4, 2016 at 1:16 am

This cake looks pretty incredible – I’m a little scared, a lot intrigued, and very hungry! 😉 thanks for sharing the idea

Priscilla
    September 21, 2016 at 1:29 am

I love the recipes but I’m on a candida diet. How could I substitute pure maple syrup and unsweetened applesauce without compromise the results?

September 25, 2016 at 10:20 pm

You could do pumpkin for apple sauce and possibly substitute maple syrup with banana or a low GI sugar like coconut nectar? Not sure if this helps! Not too familiar with how to tackle candida!