dinner gluten-free paleo vegan

Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai

February 17, 2016

Swap the rice noodles for sweet potato in this healthy Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai. This tangy and spicy thai recipe makes an easy 30-minute, one-pot meal for weekday dinners!

Swap the rice noodles for sweet potato in this healthy Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai. This tangy and spicy thai recipe makes an easy 30-minute meal for weekday dinners!When I started THM, most of my recipes on here were either baked goods or nut butters. This partially had to do with the fact that baking has always been my one, true love and also because of circumstance.

I started this little space of mine when I was 23 and living in my parents basement. True story: My parents refer to each of their children’s BA’s as “basement apartment” rather than bachelor of arts degree. Love you guys 😉

Even though I certainly had the skill set to cook for myself, there’s something about moving back into your parent’s house that makes you regress in all life skills. I once again began living off my Mom’s soup’s and whatever place I could convince my dad to do takeout from after our weeknight gym sessions (yes- I worked out with my Dad. He’s the man!).

3 years later I feel like all of my kitchen experiments and priorities have totally shifted. I miss my weekly takeout with my Dad and my Mom’s soups (although she does occasionally drop some off for me!) but I’m marginally more of an adult now and I’m one of two people in our home responsible for cooking. And only one of us can actually cook…I’ll let you guess who.

This means that quick and easy one-pot dinners are now the norm. These Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai has become a staple, but I’m always on the lookout for more simple, but delicious (and man-friendly!) dinner recipes. Luckily, my blogging besties have got me covered…

6 EASY + HEALTHY ONE-PAN MEALSLexi from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen put together an easy and delicious Lemon Garlic Chicken Rice Skillet! It’s the perfect meal that’s loaded with creamy flavors, plenty of leftovers, and non of the clean up!

Get the recipe –> HERE

6 EASY + HEALTHY ONE-PAN MEALSLee from Fit Foodie Finds made Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps! If you’re looking for a high-protein, low-carb dinner, you’ve got your answer in these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps ready in under 30-minutes!

Get the recipe –> HERE

thai-chicken-lettue-wraps2Gina from Running to the Kitchen has created the ultimate Steak Potato and Pepper Skillet! It’s is an easy one-pan dinner, ready in just 40 minutes. Toss everything together in the skillet, stick it in the oven and forget about it!

Get the recipe –> HERE

Smoky Steak Potato and Pepper Skillet 700-1Brittany from Eating Bird Food made a a delicious curried shakshuka recipe! It’s a healthy one-pan dish with poached eggs in a flavorful tomato sauce that comes together quickly and can be served any time of the day!

Get the recipe –> HERE

Shakshuka-4Taylor from Food Faith Fitness whipped up a flavorful Orange Pistachio Moroccan Chicken Skillet! A quick and easy one-pan, 30 minute Moroccan chicken skillet LOADED with spicy-sweet flavor and crunchy pistachios. It’s a gluten free, whole30 compliant AND paleo friendly weeknight dinner!

Get the recipe –> HERE

Moroccan-chicken-picture

Because of my life transitions, baking has become more of a luxury and cooking easy and quick dinners like this Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai are a priority. I love love love baking, but unless I’m working on a new healthy treat for you guys or find myself with some rare downtime, I usually save my time in the kitchen for cooking. Specifically, healthy dinners and our weekly brunches. Lunch is an afterthought…I know I’m not alone.

This has meant that the content you see here on the blog has also shifted. There is certainly no shortage of baked goods and nut butters, but I have had to find a better balance between these sweet treats and easy meals to cook for me and C.

It’s also made me a lot more comfortable with whipping up healthy meals that don’t consist of just peanut butter and banana…

Swap the rice noodles for sweet potato in this healthy Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai. This tangy and spicy thai recipe makes an easy 30-minute meal for weekday dinners!This month officially marks 3 years of blogging and 2 years of living with my best friend. I can’t help but be nostalgic about both these things. Blogging has taught me so much about life, and living with C has been filled with more laughter than I ever thought humanly possible. It’s also meant that the content on THM has changed. But I truly feel this has been for the best.

It’s brought a lot more variety around here and better encompasses my belief that health is all-encompassing. It’s not just about swapping applesauce for butter in brownies or coconut sugar in cookies.

Swap the rice noodles for sweet potato in this healthy Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai. This tangy and spicy thai recipe makes an easy 30-minute meal for weekday dinners!Easy dinners like this Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai may not have existed around here 3 years ago, but I’m also older, wiser and no longer living in my parent’s basement. It kind of makes me wonder what this space will look like 3 years from now…please don’t say baby food. OMG. bye.

Sweet Potato Noodle Pad Thai

Cook Time 30 mins

For the Sauce

For the Noodles

• 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, spiralized on second largest setting

For Topping

• 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tbsp peanuts
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • crushed red pepper flakes

Optional

• If you aren't vegan, stir in some cooked chicken, shrimp or add an egg in the last minute of cooking.

For the Sauce:

1. Mix together tamarind paste and hot water until paste has dissolved in water.
    2. Combine with all other sauce ingredients and then set aside.

For the Noodles:

1. Add coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
    2. Add in onions and sauté until translucent (about 3-5 mins).
    3. Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
    4. Add in bell peppers and cook for 5 more minutes.
    5. Add in sweet potato noodles and cook for one minute before covering skillet and letting steam for 2 minutes.
    6. Continue cooking until sweet potato noodles are cooked to desired texture.
    7. Add in sauce and stir until well combined.
    8. Plate and top with desired toppings.

Notes

*I know this is a weird ingredient but it is essential for pad thai. You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order online.

P.S. I spiralize my sweet potatoes using The Inspiralizer

What were you up to and what were your priorities 3 years ago? Baking vs. Cooking, who comes out on top?

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
      February 17, 2016 at 8:35 am

Caleb is OBSESSED with Pad Thai. Pretty sure he could eat it for every single meal of his life and be happy. I can’t wait to try this version on him! Pinned!
      Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Moroccan Chicken Skillet + Paleo 30 Minute Meals + a VIDEO {Whole30 + Super Simple}

Fit Foodie Lee
      February 17, 2016 at 11:01 am

MAMA MAVEN IS A SOUP GENIE.

February 17, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Pad thai used to be one of my favorite foods! I have to try this recipe out very soon! Never tried sweet potato this way!
      Cassie recently posted…Tuesday Thoughts: How Going Out of My Routine Helped Me Find Self-Acceptance

Miss Polkadot
      February 17, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Baby food ;). Not what you’ll be dishing up in two years but what I should probably look into as a new aunt. I went into lactation ball making for my sister already after all …
      Whenever I read these kind of reflecting and thoughtful stories accompanying your recipes I remember you telling me you weren’t a writer. You totally are. But also a really creative chef and this dish is further proof of that.

February 18, 2016 at 8:37 am

Now I’m blushing! And your memory is amazing. I still don’t consider myself a writer but I appreciate the support as always, lovely!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
      February 17, 2016 at 1:28 pm

This is awesome! Pinned immediately. That’s one thing I’m definitely missing on the whole30 right now is asian flavors…

When Nate did his year of exploration and traveling abroad, I went and lived with my parents in Santa Monica to save $$. I love love loved living at home – my parents have the best routines that they let me be a part of (fancy sushi fridays, hikes on saturdays…). I started my blog at that time, so it was great to have them as taste testers too.
      Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…WIAW – Whole30 Week#3

February 18, 2016 at 8:38 am

ahhhhhh fancy sushi fridays! Are your parents looking for new tenants? LOL

Lauren
      February 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I LOVE pad thai so I am pretty pumped about this recipe. I know how you mean living with your booyyyyyf is laugh after laugh, I bloody love it! The last bit of this made me LOL – babies – ahhhh!
      Lauren recently posted…Chocolate, Lucuma and Spinach Balls

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen
      February 17, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Haha, the baby food…recipes like this make me really regret not having a spiralizer! I’ve gotten by with my julienne peeler so far in life but I really want those perfect veggie noodles, damnit!

February 18, 2016 at 8:40 am

DUDE you need one!!! I had an extra at one point but gave it away! I would have given it to you!!

Alicia
      February 17, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Considering how much I love spiralized sweet potato and pad thai, this sounds amazing!! Maybe I will make it this weekend, along with your cracker recipe you posted, those look good too
      Alicia recently posted…Disney World 2016 Day 2

February 18, 2016 at 8:40 am

A THM recipe weekend extraordinaire! Hope you love the recipes, my dear!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
      February 18, 2016 at 12:44 am

THIS PAD THAI <3 <3 <3 I need a real spiralizer so I can get my sweet potato noodle on.

In other news, it is literally insane how much changes in three years. Three years ago I was hustling my butt off working my full-time office job + part-time as a personal trainer because I thought personal training was my calling. Spoiler alert: it isn't. But it was a time in my life I am incredibly grateful for!
      Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Why You Should Be Using Avocado Oil

February 18, 2016 at 8:41 am

AMEN SISTA! No regrets here but it’s crazy how much can change in just 3 years!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
      February 18, 2016 at 10:36 am

This recipe sounds amazing! I love thai food and sweet potatoes, I think I am going to try it soon once I get all the ingredients together! This month was my one year blog anniversary and I am coming up on living with the bf for 2 years! Twinning 🙂
      Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Apple, Cinnamon, & Fig Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

Courtney
      February 18, 2016 at 4:07 pm

The recipe calls for Sweet Chili Sauce however in the background of the photos, it looks like I see Siracha. I would prefer Siracha if that is the case… What did you use?

February 18, 2016 at 4:23 pm

That’s actually sweet chili sauce in the background 🙂 Made by the same company that makes sriracha. Sriracha is the hot version of their sweet chili spice. You can certainly use sriracha but you may need to add a bit more coconut sugar and not use as much since it will be quite hot. Let me know how it goes!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
      February 18, 2016 at 10:54 pm

BABYYYY FOODD haha
      Also, I made zoodles for the first time today and I’m thinking sweet potato noodles are next 😀
      GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Vegan Fried Quinoa with BBQ Sriracha Tofu

Lexi
      February 19, 2016 at 10:58 am

YESSS. Did you know I have been CRAVING pad thai??????
      Lexi recently posted…Lemon Garlic Chicken and Rice One-Pan Skillet

Stella @ Stellicious Life
      February 20, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I just got a spriralizer this week and can’t wait to put it to good use and spiralize some sweet potatoes, especially since I love Pad Thai! 😀
      Aw I know! Been “officially” living with the Bf for 2.5 years, and despite some turbulence over the cleaning or washing-up that may happen from time to time, I’ve never laughed so much and often, and fell asleep with a big smile on my face than with him. 🙂
      Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole

Karen
      July 4, 2016 at 11:24 pm

This was FANTASTIC. I cut this recipe by 2/3 for s single serving. I added 2 C. of shredded cabbage and it was very filling. WOW!