brownies dessert gluten-free paleo vegan

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

April 8, 2016

Chocolate meets coffee in these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Your ultimate indulgences just got a healthy makeover with these gluten-free, vegan and paleo cookies.There are a lot of things I love in this world: my boyfriend, our dog, my family, avocados, but nothing quite compares to the deep and passionate love I have for coffee.

My morning cup of joe is truly the highlight of my day and along with breakfast is the main reason I get up in the morning. I am NOT a morning person so the only way I bear the world in the AM is by drinking my coffee.

I’ve always said that coffee makes me a better person, and I think anyone who has ever interacted with me in the morning can attest to that!

Chocolate meets coffee in these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Your ultimate indulgences just got a healthy makeover with these gluten-free, vegan and paleo cookies.So when Nespresso – Canada reached out about becoming part of their Coffee Connoisseur Club, I nearly peed myself. What I didn’t anticipate was that when I got home from Arizona, I’d discover that Nespresso sent me a year’s supply worth of coffee and enough machines to open up a Nespresso pop-up shop out of my apartment.

To say that I was in heaven would be an understatement.

Naturally, the only thing to do would be to think outside of the bean (and limit yourself to one cup a day to avoid over-caffeination…).  And that’s how we landed on these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies.

Chocolate meets coffee in these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Your ultimate indulgences just got a healthy makeover with these gluten-free, vegan and paleo cookies.So what if I told you that you could have your coffee and eat it too? Yes, my friends, I have given all of you coffee-freaks the best and healthiest cookie (seriously, they’re gluten-free, vegan AND paleo what the whaaaaat?) that also tastes like a mocha party in your mouth.

Because the only thing better than coffee is chocolate + coffee.

I used my new Nespresso Prodigio Machine, which has subsequently become the greatest thing that has happened to me in 2016. Besides these cookies of course 😉

Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 10 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine almond butter and espresso.
  3. Stir in flax, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and sea salt until it all comes together.
  4. Stir in chocolate.
  5. If mixture is a little wet (this will depend on your almond butter), place batter in fridge for 30 mins to set.
  6. Roll dough into 1 tbsp sized balls and flatten with palm directly onto the cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for 10-12 mins. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 10 mins before removing from sheet. This step is important, do not attempt to remove them from the sheet before 10 mins is up.
  8. Remove from sheet and allow to cool completely.
  9. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Notes

*You want your almond butter to be drippy. Some almond butters are thicker so you may want to add the hot espresso to the almond butter and whip it to get a creamier consistency.

NespressoDisclaimer: This post is sponsored by Nespresso – Canada. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make THM possible and bring more delicious recipes your way!

Are you a coffee drinker? Have you ever made a recipe with coffee or espresso?

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    April 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

I feel like I am one of the few people that don’t drink coffee. I just never got into it and don’t like the flavor. I have tried it once or twice and don’t feel any difference either. My boyfriend doesn’t drink it either and when we have people stay at our house I feel weird not having a coffee machine for them in the morning. I do like coffee flavored things (like ice cream haha) and coffee and chocolate go so well together!
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Peanut Butter & Jelly Energy Balls

April 8, 2016 at 9:34 am

oh man! I can’t even comprehend what you’re saying haha. Kidding 😉 My Mom actually isn’t a coffee drinker either but I clearly got my Dad’s coffee genes cause we’re both addicts!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    April 8, 2016 at 9:20 am

MOUTH IS WATERING. I can’t even deal. I’m moving to Canada.
    P.S. I tried going without coffee yesterday and I was basically the worst human ever. I did have matcha instead but it just wasn’t quite the same. This morning I was reunited with my lovely coffee and I feel like a changed woman.

April 8, 2016 at 9:34 am

Screw Michigan…Move to Canada! If a never ending supply of coffee isn’t enough to get you to move here, I don’t know what is…

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    April 8, 2016 at 9:28 am

These look perfect OMG. I love coffee-flavored anything and these are totally acceptable for breakfast because coffee and chocolate. You’re a genius!
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: “I Can’t Wait”

April 8, 2016 at 9:35 am

DUH! My thinking exactly…if they make it to breakfast haha

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    April 8, 2016 at 9:41 am

hahah i dont even know where you would FIT a years supply worth of coffee.. looks like you have a lot of baking to do 😉
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…250 Rep Tricep & Back Workout [ADVANCED]

April 8, 2016 at 10:44 am

DUDE. You need to come over and check out this coffee set-up. It’s insane! Basically a PV in my own home haha. Coffee date? I’ll bring the coffee…and cookies 😉

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    April 8, 2016 at 10:48 am

I’m definitely a morning person but I need need need coffee or else I am a total zombie in the afternoon. I stayed with my old roommate in DC last night and she makes the strongest coffee – her boyfriend calls it “rocket fuel”. I am definitely buzzing as I write this!!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…My Love Affair with Food

April 8, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I hate to admit that I live for that buzz…I think that officially makes me a coffee addict!

Toni
    April 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Holy moly these look delicious! Chocolate and coffee. Truth be told, I’m not a coffee drinker but I sure like the chocolate and coffee combination. I can’t wait to make these. Thanks for yet another great recipe!

Christine
    April 9, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I’m thinking of taking this to another level, and replacing the chocolate chips with dark chocolate covered coffee beans…..

April 10, 2016 at 8:25 am

I’m thinking you may have just become my new best friend. GENIUS.

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    April 9, 2016 at 3:11 pm

These look awesome! Except I’m suuuuper sensitive to caffeine so the only time I could eat these without them affecting my sleep is at breakfast time… I’m ok with that though lol.
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Tropical Mango Coconut Energy Balls

Megan
    April 9, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Oh my! Coffee and chocolate is one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations! The addition of almond butter?! I think my brain may explode! Haha! I love having coffee with a “dessert”!

April 10, 2016 at 8:24 am

Totally! Coffee ice cream is one of my faves. This is sort of like a healthier version 😉

Eric
    June 23, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Chocolate + Coffee + Health = Sounds good to me!!

We actually made these four days ago with my wife, since we’re starting a more healthy lifestyle. We didn’t add the coconut sugar, though, since we are not supposed to consume any added sugars.

Result? They were too bitter for my taste (I have a HUGE sweet tooth, i.e., I eat Nutella with a spoon), but my wife loved them (she drinks coffee without any sweetening).

I wonder if Stevia would be a good replacement for the coconut sugar?

Thank you for the recipe!
    Eric recently posted…DeLonghi EC 680 Review

June 28, 2016 at 9:31 am

Stevia would totally work. I’m not a stevia fan so I wouldn’t know how much, but you could certainly substitute it. Enjoy!

Dibter
    November 15, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Just made these cookies – amazing , delicious …. 😃
    Only had mild espresso , next time will use stronger espresso