Have you ever wondered how to make crispy baked french fries without them burning? Here’s my trick to the ultimate french fries recipe without going near a deep fryer!
Ever since I turned my hobby into a job, I’ve been on the lookout for a new hobby to occupy my non-existent spare-time. At one point I was considering trying out an instrument (realized I had no musical talent…), and then decided I wanted to learn how to code (got too frustrated…) so I gave up and wrote off having hobbies.
Little did I realize that I’ve had a secret hobby all along that was staring me right in the face.
I know, I know, potatoes aren’t technically a hobby. But when you dedicate countless hours of your week to perfecting the perfect potato, it’s about as close as I’ve come to a hobby since starting the blog.
This was even true when I first started the blog. One of my very first posts was my version of the Perfect Roasted Potatoes. Please don’t judge the photos wahhhh. Needless-to-say, I have a real passion for potatoes.
Over the years I’ve been working on masterminding how to make crispy baked french fries as though they just came out of the deep fryer. My very real obsession with this is how I discovered I do in fact have a hobby.
And so I considered how I might be able to achieve the same results with 1/2 the effort.
Cue avocado oil.
Here I go again, preaching the glory that is the avocado! But for real, avocado oil is to potato as jelly is to peanut butter.
Basically, avocado is the not-so-sweet cooking oil equivalent of coconut oil. For as much as I love coconut oil, I don’t necessarily love all of my food tasting like it. So I often find myself using olive oil, which apparently is not the best for cooking since it has a low smoke point. This means that it’s nutritional benefits are entirely lost when heated over a certain temperature. And well, potatoes need some heat.
Avocado oil on the other hand, has a high smoke point, which allows it to retain it’s nutritional benefits AND help potatoes crisp-up but not burn.
All hail the glory of the avocado!
So there you have it, friends. A full tutorial on how to make crispy baked french fries and my own personal journey through potato hobbying. It’s a thing.
- 2 large russet potatoes*
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt, to taste
- optional: herbs for flavoring like rosemary, thyme or herbes du provence
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes into fries about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Add fries to a bowl and coat with avocado oil.
- Spread out fries onto TWO parchment or silicone lined baking sheets. Do not overcrowd or attempt to fit all onto one tray.
- Sprinkle each tray with sea salt and herbs if using.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove trays from oven and flip fries. Swap racks trays were previously on and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Flip fries once more and return to oven for 5-10 minutes depending on how crispy you like them. This time will vary as everyone's bakeware, oven and potatoes are different.
- Serve warm.