dinner vegan

Korean Veggie Burgers

April 3, 2016

These Korean Veggie Burgers make for a flavorful and asian-inspired meal for a quick weeknight dinner. With Bibimbap burgers, kimchi and bulgogi-style mushrooms, plant-based eating just got even more delicious!

Recently, I was chatting with my friend Erin about sharing pre-made products on our blogs. There can be some tension in the blogging world regarding this topic and if recipes need to be 100% made from scratch. It can be a bit disappointing when you see a must-make recipe and realize you need a specific product to make it, but at the same time there are so many incredible products out there that save us time and resources that make purchasing them worthwhile.

At the end of the day, we both agreed that if it’s a product you enjoy and use in your own life, it’s your choice (maybe even duty…) to share it. Your blog should be a reflection of you and what you love so you shouldn’t feel like you have to hold back a recipe just because it includes a pre-made product.

Which brings us to today’s post. It’s no secret that I love cooking recipes from scratch, but it’s unrealistic for me to do this every single day. This is especially true during busy weeks when just not eating out feels like an accomplishment.

These Korean Veggie Burgers made for a flavorful and asian-inspired meal for a quick weeknight dinner. With Bibimbap burgers, kimchi and bulgogi mushrooms, plant-based eating just got even more delicious!Vacations are also a tough one when you’re used to cooking most of your food. I definitely ease up on the rules when I’m travelling (read more about my healthy travel eats HERE), but I’ve come to depend on healthy pre-made products to ensure I get my nutrition in while travelling. In the process, I’ve discovered fantastic products that have reinvigorated my belief in the packaged food world.

It can be a bit of a let-down when you go into a grocery store and all you see are chips labelled as “gluten-free” and candy advertised as “fat-free”. It makes you wonder if we’re all just better off making our own food.

But then companies like Dr. Praeger’s come along who not only make great products (whose labels can actually be substantiated), but also remain a family business whose values are grounded in using simple, whole ingredients to make great-tasting products anyone will love.

These Korean Veggie Burgers made for a flavorful and asian-inspired meal for a quick weeknight dinner. With Bibimbap burgers, kimchi and bulgogi mushrooms, plant-based eating just got even more delicious!After a few too many tacos in Mexico and access to my own kitchen for only 1 out of the past 4 weeks, it’s nice to know that I can go into a grocery store and find packaged products that are in line with my mentality when it comes to food.

So instead of ordering another round of tacos in Arizona, I came back to our room, whipped up these Korean Veggie Burgers in 20 minutes and had a healthy and plant-based lunch that also tasted amazing.

I also could NEVER have come up with the recipe for a Bibimbap burger! Pure genius right there. I topped mine with some pre-made kimchi, which is Korean fermented cabbage that is amazing for gut health and also can be found at most grocery stores. Then just to add to the Korean-goodness, I added in some sautéed bulgogi-style mushrooms.

An entire meal made from plants that is also supporting a family on a mission to bring healthy food to your tables. I call that a win.

Korean Veggie Burgers

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 1 burger     adjust servings

For the bulgogi mushrooms

• 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 small garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
  • optional: jalapeno peppers, lime, cilantro for topping

1. Cook burgers according to package instructions.
  2. Head up a skillet over medium heat and coat with olive oil.
  3. Add in garlic and sautee for one minute.
  4. Add in water, tamari, vinegar and palm sugar and bring to a boil before lowering heat to med-low.
  5. Add in mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes or until they have halved in size and absorbed most of the liquid.
  6. Top each bun (or lettuce bun) with a burger, desired kimchi and bulgogi mushrooms.
  7. Sprinkle with desired toppings
  8. Enjoy!

dr_praegers_logo_large

Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Dr. Praeger’s. I was compensated for my time and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting The Healthy Maven and the brands that make THM possible!

What are some of your favorite pre-made products? Do you cook while travelling?

rachel @ athletic avocado
    April 3, 2016 at 10:11 am

I also agree that you can’t make things from scratch all the time! If we all had the time too we would but it just not possible some days. I am a huge fan of Dr. Praegars veggie burgers and they taste almost as good as homemade do so eating them korean style sounds amazing!
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Caramel Macchiato Overnight Oatmeal

April 4, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Exactly! Plus I don’t think I could have ever have come up with a korean veggie burger that tasted this delish!

Laura
    April 3, 2016 at 10:16 am

I LOVE dr. Pragers products!! I found out about them a couple of years ago and they are my go to meal when I don’t have time. I also just found them in my local Trader Joes, winning!! burger looks amazing 🙂

April 4, 2016 at 12:28 pm

So so lucky!!! Wish we had TJs here 🙂 The best and easy dinner when you’re busy!

Erin (eat, pray, get well)
    April 3, 2016 at 11:04 am

Davida – the recipe looks great and I love your post! It’s so much fun and satisfying when we can all make a dish from scratch, but like you said unless you have the time it’s not feasible on a daily basis. I am all about cutting corners without sacrificing nutrition and there really are some great products that make life easier! Keep those amazing posts coming my mentor!! Erin

April 4, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Lots of love to you, Erin and keep up the amazing work!!

April 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Yum–I’ve never heard of a bulgogi style burger! Definitely something that has to be made in a Korean-American fusion restaurant!
    Cassie recently posted…Dinner Ideas: Vegan Greek-Style Salad

April 4, 2016 at 12:26 pm

yup 🙂 It’s a fun twist on bulgogi beef but made with mushrooms 🙂

Diana
    April 3, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I checked the ingredients on the burgers and they are NOT gluten free, so might be good to clarify that as suggesting gluten free buns and gluten free soy sauce seems to imply that the meal can be made GF.

Diana
    April 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Also, I noticed that you labeled this meal as gluten free. I really love your blog, but have to admit that I am turned off after this post. As someone with celiac, this is incredibly infuriating. It’s so hard for celiacs to eat out/have others cook for them because of this gluten free trend. This blog post is a prime example of how the trend is harmful to celiacs.

April 4, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Hi Diana, I am so sorry for the confusion. You are so right that the recipe most definitely should be listed as gluten-free. I did not thoroughly check the ingredients and they most certainly are not safe for Celiacs or if you choose to eat gluten-free. Dr. Praeger’s did recently come out with a line of entirely gluten-free burgers that would be a much better fit for you: http://drpraegers.com/our-food/kale-veggie-burgers/

I’ve updated the labels, and my sincere apologies. Thank you for your understanding.

Diana
        April 5, 2016 at 8:57 am

Thanks for the reply and for making the change. But still, why suggest gluten free buns? It gives the false sense that this recipe is GF. If you misread the label then clearly many other people could as well.

April 5, 2016 at 9:32 am

I totally understand where you’re coming from. Some people choose to eat low-gluten or prefer just knowing there’s an option to substitute. As I’m sure you know, when it’s a serious condition like Celiac disease you pay a lot of attention to nutrition labels so I’m certain that if someone wanted (or most likely needed) the meal to be entirely gluten-free they just wouldn’t make the burger after reading the label. I just prefer to give the option to people who choose to eat the burger but maybe don’t want to to eat a whole-wheat bun and use soy sauce.

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    April 4, 2016 at 7:57 am

I love Dr. Praeger’s products, as well as the Trader Joe’s line of veggie/salmon burgers. SO GOOD. If I’m able to cook while traveling you can bet your life that I will! 🙂
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…“Crunching The Numbers” with Chobani

April 4, 2016 at 12:25 pm

TJs always has great products too! Glad you’re on board 😉

Sam @ Barrister's Beet
    April 4, 2016 at 10:03 am

Thanks for sharing! I love Dr. Praeger’s so I would definitely give this flavor a try. This post goes well with mine from today re: healthy food shortcuts. I work like 12-13 hour days, so a lot of times I don’t have a choice as to whether I can make something from scratch or not. Products like these from Dr. Praeger’s are the reason I can maintain a healthy lifestyle, work and sleep 7-8 hours a night : )
    Sam @ Barrister’s Beet recently posted…The Healthiest Food Shortcuts

April 4, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Amen sista! Thank goodness for amazing products like these that make healthy eating more accessible!

Mark Forge
    April 4, 2016 at 11:12 am

Okay, these words made me laugh out loud – bibimbap and bulgogi. Sad we don’t have these products in Estonia, would love to try them. 🙁
    Mark Forge recently posted…Top 5 Fat Sources for Weight Loss

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    April 7, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Always looking for a good pre-made veggie burger option! I haven’t tried this kind so I will have to keep my eye open for them. I had a boyfriend back in high school that was half Korean and his mom made the best food! I can’t wait to try out these mushrooms!
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Peanut Butter & Jelly Energy Balls

April 8, 2016 at 9:36 am

I absolutely love Korean food. Keep your eyes peeled for these veggie burgers. They’re SO good!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    April 9, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Oh. When I saw the title of this post I was so excited you were going to share a veggie burger recipe with us, bit disappointed to see I don’t get to learn how to make the veggie burger since its pre-made. I’m constantly on the lookout for great veggie burger recipes so if you plan to experiment in the future, know that I’ll be here, impatiently excited to try your recipe 😉
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Oriental Lentil Casserole

April 10, 2016 at 8:24 am

Aw Stella! Well there’s lots of homemade Veggie Burgers on the blog and lots more coming your way soon!

Amanda F
    April 12, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I love cooking from scratch, but sometimes products make life a bit easier. Some of the ones I fine myself with most often: TJ’s cauliflower rice, TJ’s precooked lentils, plantain chips, veggie burgers (I buy some from Costco), and Amy’s lentil soup.

Yes, I can rice my own cauliflower or make my own lentil soup, but life is about balance. Sometimes less stress is the best thing I can do for myself. Also, I would like to point out that most people don’t make their own hamburger buns, vegetable broth, stewed tomatoes, etc. Food should be individual, so should the cooking.

Adrianne
    May 1, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Hi Davida,
    These look great! Can I buy them in Toronto? Thanks!