appetizers dips gluten-free vegan

Lemon Hemp Hummus

June 12, 2016

Everyone knows hummus is the ultimate dip appetizer! Change up your usual snacking with this Lemon Hemp Hummus made with fresh lemons and Hemp Hearts for a nutritious recipe made from wholesome ingredients.There’s a chance I’m making a gross generalization here, but if you were to poll healthy food bloggers about the food they eat most, I have a feeling it would be hummus.

Hummus is one of those recipes that is always convenient to have on hand. As someone who aims to get in as many veggies as possible on a daily basis, having hummus for dipping certainly helps me step up my game. At this point vegetables basically taste like hummus to me…

Everyone knows hummus is the ultimate dip appetizer! Change up your usual snacking with this Lemon Hemp Hummus made with fresh lemons and Hemp Hearts for a nutritious recipe made from wholesome ingredients.Seeing that hummus is a food group in my diet, it’s become important for me to ensure I’m maximizing its nutrition. I’ll admit that at times I get lazy and just buy it at the store, but when I make it myself I’m reminded how easy it is to make!

Making it at home also allows you to add in delicious and healthy ingredients like Hemp Hearts and ditch the preservatives they put into store-bought versions.

Everyone knows hummus is the ultimate dip appetizer! Change up your usual snacking with this Lemon Hemp Hummus made with fresh lemons and Hemp Hearts for a nutritious recipe made from wholesome ingredients.This Lemon Hemp Hummus is hands-down my favourite recipe I’ve made this year. I basically demolished a bowl in one sitting (unfortunately it doesn’t come with a side of will-power…).

It’s unbelievably tasty, has heart-healthy omega fatty acids from the Hemp Hearts, protein from the chickpeas and a zesty lemon flavour.

I just made yours and every healthy food blogger’s dream come true!

Lemon Hemp Hummus

PREP TIME 10 mins

• 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
  • 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 lemons, zest + juice
  • 1 tsp salt + pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin

1. Place Hemp Hearts in a medium skillet over med-high heat and lightly toast. Remove from heat once dark brown colour achieved. Set aside.
  2. In a food processor combine chickpeas, garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and zest. Process until combined.
  3. Add in salt and pepper, cumin and Hemp Hearts.
  4. Process until smooth.
  5. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week.

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Manitoba Harvest. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make THM possible and bring more delicious recipes your way!

Is hummus as popular as I think? What’s your favourite hummus flavour?

Kelsey Yoki
    June 12, 2016 at 10:56 am

Definitely need to remember this recipe when we go out to Cape Cod next month with my dad’s family! This would be a perfect snack!
    Kelsey Yoki recently posted…Moving Positively Forward.

June 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

Hummus has to be one of my favorite dips and snacks in the world! I can just eat so many copious amounts of it, especially if you blend roasted red bell peppers with it! SO GOOD. Anyways, I love the idea of adding some hemp seeds on top for some extra protein and healthy fats! This is a wonderful dip to serve at any party!
    Cassie recently posted…New YouTube Video: Cauliflower-Based Green Curry (vegan + gluten free)

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    June 12, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I make lemony hummus weekly, the more lemon the better! I’d love to try this recipe next time. I always have hemp hearts around. Gorgeous photos, as usual!
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted…Gluten-Free Vegan Eats and Blogger Re-Entry

June 12, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Thank you, lovely! I’m all about the lemon too. The more the merrier! The toasted hemp seeds add a really nice flavour too!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    June 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Hummus is definitely a separate food group for me… #typicalblogger. I will admit that lately I’ve been lazy and just buy the Eggplant Hummus at Trader Joe’s (SO GOOD), but this lemon hemp flavor sounds too good to pass up. I swear I put hemp seeds on everything!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Green Goddess Avocado Kale Salad

June 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I know, I always get so lazy and buy the store-bought, but homemade is SO GOOD!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    June 13, 2016 at 1:03 am

I love making my own hummus. I use dry chickpeas and soak them overnight, and then add them to the food processor right after I cook them. Warm hummus is the best!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Shrimp Pasta Salad

Rebecca Dawkins
    June 13, 2016 at 1:56 am

I just love hummus. My recipe for is chickpeas, soaked in water for 8-9 hours and then cooked till soft and add olive oil, spices and blend to a smooth paste. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I’ll definitely try this!

June 13, 2016 at 7:58 am

Yes! Soaking and removing the skin totally makes it smoother but I’m kind of lazy haha.

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    June 13, 2016 at 9:00 am

Ohh I like this flavor combo! I love a lemony hummus, but never thought to add hemp seeds. Will def be trying this out!
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Making the Gains – Cardio CrossFit WOD with Rowing, Burpees, and Bike

Morgan
    June 13, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Oh my, this sounds incredible! These ingredients sound like they would be great together, and the dish looks absolutely scrumptious! Can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!