Live

Dearest Healthy Maven Tribe

August 26, 2016

Tomorrow I turn 27….WHAT?! My 20s have felt so insanely fast while also being some of the longest (and occasionally hardest) years of my life. I wouldn’t change a thing.

I’ve always taken my birthday to reflect on past experiences, set goals and encourage you to think deeply about your own lives.

This year I’m doing it differently. The famous “C” aka my boyfriend aka my roomie aka that sweet arm candy I’ve been totting around for 5 years is dropping in to add his two cents for the occasion. He asked me what I wanted for my birthday and all I could really think of was him spreading his awesome words of wisdom to you guys. Because behind every blogger is her Instagram husband who patiently takes 5000 pictures, nods his head when you’re stressing about deadlines and in my case, has been the absolute, most-amazing support system a girl could ask for. He’s wise beyond his years and even though I’m biased, is the most incredible person I know.

So pay attention! C is hijacking the blog for the day. Enjoy!

: * Thanks, D.

C and D in CRDearest Healthy Maven Tribe,

Coming at you live from THM’s empire (aka our apartment aka castle danger aka the animal house) and this post is a special one.

Not only is Saturday Davida’s birthday, and her champagne birthday nonetheless (needless to say champagne shall be had) but perhaps even more monumental and possibly equally as important, this is also the first time that I’ve ever dropped in to say hello to all you lovely people!

Talk about long overdue… Some of you have literally tracked Davida’s journey and my life over years and we’ve never even been digi-introduced! Allow me… (stands up and does a little wave)… Hi, I’m Curtis – some call me Curt, you can call me C. And in this realm, I’m the man behind the woman behind the blog.

And what a ride it has been! Time to take a little walk down memory lane…

#originstory

Davida and I met one summer night in Montreal, 5 crazy years ago. I was 21, chillin’ hard, and about to head out to California to live with some family and work in San Francisco for the summer. She was 22, sasstastic, in from Toronto to graduate from McGill and was moving to New York the next day. Headed in completely opposite directions, and with very different attitudes and at a very different pace, we hit it off that night and talked for hours.

To Davida’s girlfriends in New York that summer I was known only as the ‘pen pal’ as we stayed in touch by writing long form essays (via facebook, obviously) to each other about life updates and train of thought rants. For the record, she’s always been incredibly self aware and emotionally intelligent – and it’s awesome that so many of you have found something to connect to in her writing! But getting back to the story at hand… that fall we found ample excuses to visit each other between Montreal and New York and by day 11 together we committed to a long distance relationship that we knew would be long distance for at least 2 years.

IMG_0953

From that weekend! – back when Davida aka Davicii was a blonde!

Sure it was a big and scary thing to commit to. They say quitting your job, moving in together and getting a dog also can be, but we believed in it all and were willing to work to make it happen. Over the years I’ve always pushed Davida to take risks where that’s true (i.e. puppy, but pretty sure his face was the sell on that one) – and often against her natural instinct, but I’ve never seen anyone as simultaneously anxious and fearless, and willing to take it on both personally and professionally.

Later that winter, completely bored working in research, Davida quit her job to start the blog and it has grown into something neither of us could have imagined. I’ve always known she would succeed but the number of you that support and engage with her has fueled her inspiration and continues to push her to reach more of you, in more ways, both more personally and more positively. It’s amazing!

So what’s it like to be the man behind the woman behind the puppy behind the blog?

Oh, man… where to begin? I’ve been a cheerleader, a sounding board, an analyst, an advisor, a taste tester (w00t), a photographer, a hand model…once, a trail guide, a sugar daddy, a dependent, a shoulder to cry on, and I’ve even been fired! Needless to say it hasn’t been dull…

But really it’s just about support. Davida’s done all the work with the help of some amazing people, I just told her she could do it. And to any and all would be male or female – especially female – entrepreneurs and everyone out there with an idea or a change that you believe in – allow me to be your surrogate partner briefly… you can do it! You will have to work for it, but that’s why it will work! Also, you should charge more. You’re worth it.

Mostly, it’s been a non-stop adventure of trying new things and we’ve loved every minute of it. We constantly push and challenge each other, and have our plans to take over the world – or more accurately to carve out a little piece and make it our own. The business as it evolves will continue to be a real narrative from Davida about the new opportunities, adventures and phases of life we take on, and our stumbles and successes along the way. Not to mention plenty of drone and puppy footage…

All to say, stay tuned. Who knows, maybe if y’all enjoyed this I’ll even circle back in another few years 😉 There are big things in store for the Maven and in development behind the scenes that I can’t wait for you to see and engage with. Thank you all for supporting my lovely lady, and please continue to do so! Tell your friends!

And finally, how could this really even be a blog post if I didn’t include a list with an arbitrary number of points?

So here’s a list, in no particular order, of 4 things I love most about Davida:

davs-flowers-window

• what I call ‘the mama bear gene’

a nurturer through and through. it physically and emotionally pains her not to feed those in her home, and she quickly took advantage of the route to my heart with food – in the old days with decadent baked goods to rope me in and now with delicious healthy meals to keep me on point. also, don’t mess with her cubs or she’ll take you down.

• self awareness and emotional intelligence

this one I’m sure you’ve all seen. it shines through on all the personal posts that do so well. it’s the voice that you can connect to and also learn something from by seeing another reflect so openly on herself. also, the degree to which she’s in tune with her bizarre cravings escapes me.

• her sense of adventure

this city girl is fast becoming a lady of the woods. I’m going to claim some serious credit on the fact that she’s recently into camping (!win.) but the sense of adventure, perhaps a bit mischievous, has always been there. just now, she told me that she wants to go roller skating for her birthday… talk about crazy! 😉 #champagneonwheels

• the intensity of her love and loyalty

over the last few years I’ve traveled a crazy amount, probably clocking more than 100 days a year for the last three years. through it all, Davida and I have never been the type to always be in touch or talking everyday. there’s an independence and a trust because of the loyalty and love.

Happy Birthday darling, this one’s for you! … and, I suppose, the entire internet…

Time to make Davida blush! What’s you’re favorite thing about The Healthy Maven?

Kelsey Yoki
    August 26, 2016 at 7:04 am

Her power to make anyone feel special!
    This was an amazing post to read, and Davida is more than worthy and lucky to have a man like you supporting her!
    Kelsey Yoki recently posted…When Your Heart Hurts.

August 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

You are the sweetest! Thank you for always being so incredibly supportive! It does not go unnoticed. Lots of love!

Kelsey Yoki
        August 26, 2016 at 10:25 am

Girl – I’m a bag of emotions this week! Seriously… taking this time off has brought so many emotions to the surface, and I finally feel more than okay feeling them all! I’m on a journey of finding I’m worthy of so much more than I ever allow myself to realize. <3 Thank you for the sweetest comment to make this day for me. Ps, I'm coming back to blogging (!!!!!!).

Christina @ The Blissful Balance
    August 26, 2016 at 9:01 am

This was the sweetest, and you’re such a great writer!! I love Davida’s willingness to be vulnerable and inspire others to be themselves. Happy [almost] birthday, Davida! <3
    Christina @ The Blissful Balance recently posted…Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 26, 2016 at 9:02 am

Awww this was incredible! My number one favorite thing about Davida is that she is Canadian… jk jk. But it helps 😉 I love her enthusiasm, realness, her willingness to help all of the people in this space. Pretty much everything you listed is on point. Can’t wait to see what’s to come XX
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Glenfinnan Viaduct & Steall Falls [ England & Scotland Travels Part 2 ]

August 29, 2016 at 9:41 am

It’s fine. I’ll take what I can get 😉 But for reals, than you for always being so incredibly supportive! It is SO appreciated, my dear!

Brittany
    August 26, 2016 at 9:56 am

This is the sweetest post! I LOVE Davida’s spunk and her willingness to be open and honest, even at times when it might be hard/scary to share. Still hoping that we get to meet IRL sometime soon. Happy almost b-day, D!!!
    Brittany recently posted…10 Minute Morning Yoga Routine

Ashley @ The Small Town Foodie
    August 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

My heart just melted! SO sweet and nicely written. I really don’t know Davida that well, but I feel like I do just because she’s so honest and genuine. Happy early birthday! 🙂
    Ashley @ The Small Town Foodie recently posted…Why YOU Should Start A Vegetable Garden

Stacie | The Real Food Dietitians
    August 26, 2016 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the intro Curt! My husband can totally relate! 🙂 Happy Birthday Davida! What I love most is that you speak my language – when I read your IG posts or blog posts i’m constantly thinking…. “me too, girl!” We have so much in common. And doodle moms ALWAYS have an instant connection! For real, though – we’re kinda crazy (in a good way of course)! Have such good birthday weekend dear! xo
    ~Stacie
    Stacie | The Real Food Dietitians recently posted…Easy Peasy Garlic Hummus

Sasha
    August 26, 2016 at 11:19 am

I’m a sucker for the how-we-met story and this one is so sweet and inspiration! Happy Birthday girl, enjoy your champagne and maybe some birthday cake balls!?!?! Looking forward for whats to come!

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    August 26, 2016 at 1:58 pm

This made my heart so full. So nice to finally hear from you, C! 😉 My favorite thing about Davida is her honest and relatable content! I have always loved that she keeps us readers in the loop about what’s in her heart and mind. It’s so refreshing! Also, her spunky personality is very similar to mine, so I’m literally always laughing out loud at her jokes/quirks in her posts. 🙂 Happy birthday lovely!!! <3
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…Friday Top 3’s: #10

August 29, 2016 at 9:47 am

I have a feeling we’d get along super well 😉 Thanks for your support, dear! Hope to meet in person one of these days!!

Alicia
    August 26, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I love this post so much. What a special guy you have. It’s amazing when I can get my guy to write anything. We have been long distance a lot and even when I went to study abroad in Australia, we stayed in touch by email (probably the only time I got him to write more than a sentence back to me since it was our only communication).
    Anyway happy birthday. I love how you are relatable and honest on your blog.
    Alicia recently posted…Yoga Workshop Fridays: Crow Pose

August 29, 2016 at 9:46 am

Girlfriend, it took me 3 years to get him to write on the blog haha! Hang in there! LD will eventually end! (we did 2.5 years of long distance!)

Em @ Love A Latte
    August 26, 2016 at 8:47 pm

This was so awesome to read! C – you are a fantastic writer and should pop in more often. It’s clear you guys have something crazy special. And a big happy birthday to you, Davida!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Coffee Break Catch Up

Dale
    August 27, 2016 at 9:17 am

What an amazing post!

dixya @food, pleasure, and health
    August 27, 2016 at 4:09 pm

It is incredibly sweet to hear from you C. I have followed Davida for a long time now..and I cant agree more on all the things you have listed. She is one genuine, honest, and fearless lady…and I am your support is extremely valuable to the success of THM. Cant wait to see what future holds for you guys, fur baby, and of course THM.
    dixya @food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Tips to Avoid Freshman 15

August 29, 2016 at 8:45 am

Thank you so much for your amazing support Dixya! I’m so lucky to have a friend like you who endlessly supports me. Much appreciated <3

Lindsey Bomgren
    August 30, 2016 at 9:10 am

I love it all! And makes me so grateful for my Mr. Handsome who’s stood by my side through a similarly crazy journey! I can’t wait for you two to be in MN! YAY!!!!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…barre basics: 7 barre moves to tone + tighten

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    August 30, 2016 at 10:48 am

Aww what a lovely post, thanks for stopping by C and sharing your story with Davida, and your special view of her. It’s clear you two have something incredibly special, and even more amazing is that despite being so young you both recognized it and stuck through those long years of LD. (Your writing voice

There are so many things Davida has given me through her blog, her posts, her amazing advice and her genuine, quirky, laugh out loud funny personality. I am seriously saddened that an ocean and continents are between us, I would love to meet her IRL, I’m sure we’d have a blast. Maybe the thing I love the most about her is her courage when it comes to baring it all and sharing her real struggles and doubts, exposing herself and bravely being vulnerable in front of the whole world. It’s because of this (amongst other things) that people relate to Davida and love her fiercely.

Wishing you a belated happy birthday, glad you had fun (and also some rest) and would love to see even more of C on the blog (C, LOVE your drone videos and you’re a great writer too, stop in here more often (you could always tell us more about the Maven behind the blog! 😉

Happy Birthday Davida, may this year be full of exciting adventures, lovely memories and lots and lots of laughter and love! *hugs*
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake (Gluten and Refined Sugar-free)

Lee