breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks

Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

September 6, 2016

Extra-ripe bananas and all-natural peanut butter make these healthy banana peanut butter muffins a healthier snack option! Made in one bowl and no added sugar, these muffins will become a must-bake healthy treat!

Long time no recipe! It’s been a while since the last recipe because as you know I haven’t been feeling uber creative in the kitchen lately. But when you open up your freezer to find 12 frozen overripe bananas, you can’t help but experiment.

Banana bread probably would have been my go-to, but I already nailed it with this recipe so I thought I would change things up. Plus there is nothing that beats bananas + peanut butter.

I initially thought this recipe would be perfect for those back-to-schoolers, but then remembered that peanuts are kind of a no-no at school. So really these are for the non-back-schoolers who still get nostalgic when September hits.

Did anyone else get an immense craving to go highlighter shopping? Just me?

But whether or not you’re going back to school, make these Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins. Your freezer will thank you.

Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

• 2 cups oat flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 4 large VERY ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. Add in bananas, vanilla, egg, peanut butter and almond milk.
  5. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups for a total of 12 muffins.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes (give or take depending on oven heat and altitude). Muffins are ready when the tops spring back after being touched.
  7. Allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from muffin tin.
  8. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.

Notes

*You can try replacing with whole wheat flour but you will want to decrease the flour slightly (around a 1/4 cup).

Do you stockpile bananas? Do you still get back-to-school nostalgia?

Lee
    September 6, 2016 at 7:14 am

MUFFINS. Make these for me in 2 WEEKS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I repay you in highlighters.
    Lee recently posted…Lemon Butter Seared Salmon

Amanda @ Anchored to Sunshine
    September 6, 2016 at 7:58 am

Banana and peanut butter?? That is a winning combo! If only I had one with my coffee right now!

Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales
    September 6, 2016 at 12:41 pm

These sound so tasty and simple. But I will have to wait until my bananas become VERY ripe! 😉
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 12

Polly
    September 6, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I love bananas and peanut butter together! What a delicious combo!
    Polly recently posted…5 Ways to Find Balance Between Work and Life

Erin@WellPlated
    September 6, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I can never EVER have enough recipes for ripe bananas in my life, especially ones that involve PB! Bring it on 🙂

lynn @ the actor's diet
    September 6, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Bananas and Peanut Butter = The Dream Team!
    lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted…Summer 2016 – Lessons Learned

ACKTIVE LIFE
    September 7, 2016 at 11:55 am

These look so easy and DELICIOUS and they would be perfect with NuttZo! I actually have a decent amount of frozen bananas in the freezer…Maybe it is time to bake! The perfect time to make them is on a grey and rainy Nantucket day!
    ACKTIVE LIFE recently posted…A VERY Inspiring Young Woman – Meet Marissa

Em @ Love A Latte
    September 7, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Can’t wait to make these for my toddler…and of course myself too!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Nap Time is My Time: Getting Back In Shape

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    September 7, 2016 at 2:15 pm

hahahaha i love how modest you are “i already nailed the recipe.”
    i need to make these stat. i have so many bananas in the freezer i think Adam has started to secretly throw them out…
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…The Squat Drop Set For Powerful Quads

Jill
    September 7, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Peanut butter + Banana = Perfection! I am hungry just looking at these. Paired with a big glass of milk please!
    Jill recently posted…Reach Your Running Goals With the Right Mindset {Guest Post}

sheena
    September 8, 2016 at 8:01 am

Are these really dense and kinda wet on the inside? Just wondering since i prefer a dryer lighter muffin..thanks!

Eva
    September 10, 2016 at 4:48 am

This is one of my top 5 muffins recipe. I think peanut butter and bananas go perfect together.

Jeanie
    September 10, 2016 at 7:06 am

Absolutely delicious! PB and Banana is always a winning combo in my books – I’ll have to freeze these cause I don’t know if I would be able to only eat just one or two a day if not! 😛

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    September 16, 2016 at 10:32 am

I love September and am always hit with back to school nostalgia, I’m the kid who loved going back to school, when classes started and it was time to buy new pens and notebooks and all those great staples!! 😀

I love the combination of banana+peanut butter+oats, can’t wait to try these! Just so I know what to expect: are these dense, rather chewy and moist kind of muffins?
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake (Gluten and Refined Sugar-free)

September 19, 2016 at 9:47 am

Is it weird if I say they’re dense, chewy and moist? I find when they’re dense they’re pretty chewy and moist and when they’re lighter they’re fluffier and drier? But that’s just me!

martina kelly
    September 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Is oat flour just blitzed porridge oatlets? I live in Ireland and have never seen oat flour but have baked with oats. Many thanks.

Natalie
    October 24, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi Davida,

I’ve made and love so many of your recipes! Of all the foodie bloggers I follow, your recipes are the most consistently reliable and delicious. What a wicked last name BTW! Have you come up with a kugel recipe? There are so many kugel variations even within my family alone.

These muffins are currently in the oven but I was all out of peanut butter so I used cashew butter. Substitutions are like a pet peeve for me but I made an exception during a hangry emergency. Thanks and keep rocking it xo

November 5, 2016 at 12:01 am

Hi Natalie! Sorry for the delay in responding, I’ve been on the road for a few weeks! I haven’t come up with a kugel recipe as my mom’s peach kugel might be the ultimate and hard to top 😉 I hope you enjoyed the muffins. I love that recipe!

Kayleigh
    May 25, 2017 at 11:10 am

How many calories are in one muffin?

Thank you! I used this recipe and it is awesome. Plus easy for a grab and go during my busy mornings.