life Wellness Work

{Life Lately} When The Hustling Gets Tough

September 30, 2016

Ever since I started my capsule wardrobe, I’ve adopted a new rule when it comes to clothes shopping. If I want to buy something new I have to throw out something old. In with the good, out with the bad. It’s made me constantly assess whether or not I need something in my life and what I need to get rid of to make room for something new.

I’m taking the same approach to this post. I’m getting rid of the bad, the negative, the ugly and replacing it with the good, the positive and the beautiful. I’m getting the bad out of my system, acknowledging it and then moving on.

So here’s the truth, the hustling has gotten tough. The same hustle that’s responsible for having THM in the first place feels like it has vanished into thin air. My motivation to create, to push my own boundaries and help you explore yours has been waning. For the first time in a long time, I’ve found myself questioning whether writing and running the blog is still working for me.

This is an especially terrifying thought when your income depends on you efficiently running the blog. But thankfully, it’s also a thought that is fleeting.

I’m the first person to tell other bloggers that when you feel like you’re working against the current, it’s time to take a break. That when you’re lacking inspiration, it’s time to get out in the world and start living. That inspiration doesn’t come from sitting in front of a computer screen, but from what happens when you’re not working, not sharing your life on the internet.

So it’s been tough. And also a humbling lesson in taking a big ole’ dose of my own medicine. That I got too wrapped up in the hustle culture that I got burnt out. The thing that I love most in this world, creating, began to feel like a burden.

Instead of attempting to push through it, as I’ve done far too many times in the past, I decided to give myself a little grace. To be kinder and more compassionate with myself. To ignore the speed at which those around me are moving and focus on my lane. It’s been slower around here. Intentionally slower. But it’s also been really really good.

Because I made room for the good.

Even if GaryVee is telling me I need to work a little harder and social media is hammering in the need to hustle harder…I know I’m playing a longer game here. I’m not just growing the blog, but building a sustainable business. A sustainable me. Who can work hard, create and share these moments with you, but also respect the boundaries when I need to set them in place. To remember that I blog about my life, but I don’t live for the blog.

I’m not there yet and I don’t know if I ever will be. But my incessant need to keep it real with you, to remind you that there is always a behind-the-scenes to the hustle journey, gets me a little closer to living more in line with my values. To clearing the path of my struggles and insecurities in order to embrace all that is good.

Because life is good. Really really good. Sometimes you have to just try a little harder to see it.

(okay really it’s all Bodhi)

life-lately

How do you deal when the hustling gets tough? Share something good in your life!

DON'T WANT TO MISS A LIFE UPDATE? Join the THM Community!

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to stay up to date on the latest life happenings and behind-the-scenes of The Healthy Maven!

Sana
    September 30, 2016 at 9:12 am

I just stop and think I lucky I am to have the opportunities that I do. And that usually kicks me into overdrive!!!

October 1, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Definitely one perspective! I feel incredibly fortunate for the privileges that I have and I want to make the most of them by not hustling and working all the time! Just my two cents 🙂

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    September 30, 2016 at 9:42 am

Always, always so appreciative for all that you share on your blog, being real, genuine, honest about actually living life. You’re an amazing human being!
    When the hustling gets tough I ask myself why am I feeling overwhelmed, anxious, etc? Usually it stems from being fearful of the future, and I have to remind myself that I can’t predict the future and I have to focus on the now, take baby steps or a break if I need to. Like you said, in it for the longer game and building both a sustainable business and person! <3 much love to you my dear XX
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    September 30, 2016 at 9:55 am

I love these real exposed posts from you. For me, I’ve learned that when anything becomes hard or dreaded that it’s time to step away. Forcing something in my life isn’t the way to make me happy or achieve my goals. If it’s meant to be, I will come back to it. More times than not, I come back and it’s just me feeling burned out and frazzled. Stay true to you dear!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…OMG Good Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies {GF, Paleo, Low Cal}

October 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm

It’s so true! Plus I find I don’t put out my best work when I’m trying so hard to force it!

Lindsey Bomgren
    September 30, 2016 at 11:16 am

The hustle usually gets the best of me till I crash…I’ve been working on this too trying to enjoy more of this flexible, blogging life while still trying to make ends meet. It will always be a balancing act, but I have to say I never regretted a moment of sipping tea and reading a book. xo-Linds
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…healthy chocolate mousse overnight oats {meal prep breakfast}

October 1, 2016 at 6:27 pm

It’s so true! The only regrets I’ve had have been working too hard (or stressing about wifi in a remote country with my in-laws…). Those moments I wish I could go back in time and instead slow down and focus on those around me instead of my business! Keeping this perspective has been so helpful to get better at working at MY pace, which may look drastically different than somebody else’s!

Carmy
    September 30, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I totally feel you. I find it so hard to not compare – so and so has this many recipes a week, so and so has this many photos lined up on IG, etc etc and me, I’m just hoping to get one recipe up! There’s been such a pressure to keep hustling because things don’t just *fall* into my lap but I’ve slowly started to feel burnt out and craving a break.
    Carmy recently posted…Easy Bento Box Lunches

October 1, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Carmy- I feel ya! It can be so hard to ignore everything around us and just focus on our journey. I try to remember that we’re all on our own path and have our own behind-the-scenes that others don’t see. I’m realizing that this feeling of not being enough is more common than any of us realize. Hang in there!

Kayla
    September 30, 2016 at 12:30 pm

As always, thank you for being so honest real. I too have a tendency towards burn out because I go ALL OUT, 100 PERCENT, which is not sustainable for very long.

I’ve been been doing my best to avoid going 100% all the time, so I avoid the pendulum swing to the total opposite, burn out. I also know that’s usually when I need a vacation or to take a step back and assess what is happening and why I feel that way. It’s a hard thing to avoid when you’re an intense person…
    Kayla recently posted…4 reasons why you need to go to Body Space Fitness, ASAP

October 1, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Yup- sounds like we’re both extreme personalities! I’ve also been someone who is either on or off. I like those boundaries, but I’m starting to wonder if I might be better off taking a more moderate approach!

Jill
    September 30, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I feel like there’s a spectrum of stress and if I am super bored and understimulated, then I become very unmotivated and lazy. On the other end, if I am overly stressed then I want to do nothing and take a nap instead. I am trying to find that happy medium where I have enough work and stress to keep me motivated and not fall too far in one direction. Hang in there!
    Jill recently posted…Good & Twisted Yoga Review – Twin Cities Fitness Guide

October 1, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I’m right there with you! That middle ground is so hard to achieve but I’m trying to view it more as a practice and less about something to master, so I’ll keep practicing it everyday!

ACKTIVE LIFE
    September 30, 2016 at 5:25 pm

When the hustle gets too much I honestly try to push through it, which eventually leads me to crash and burn…It is definitely something I need to work on. It is hard to slow down and take a break in today’s crazy world, but it is necessary, because LIFE IS GOOD. Life is short and the hustle can wait!
    ACKTIVE LIFE recently posted…Thinking Out LOUD…

October 1, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Exactly! I don’t want to look back on my life and realize I spent it all trying to make everything seem perfect. I’d rather relish in it’s perfect imperfections <3

Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales
    September 30, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I love your honest posts like these (and how you always keep it real). I also think I need to adapt more of capsule wardrobe approach to clothes and life.

Having just started my blog and also looking into communications consulting I totally see how the hustling gets tough. It feels tiring already at times!

But I am glad life is good nonetheless! I’m sure I’m a broken record by this point… but spending time in nature definitely helps me feel inspired and re-energized and just forget about things.
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…17 Things About Me: Learn more about Wild Coast Tales

Kelsey Yoki
    September 30, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Being real and genuine has become a pillar in my life in the past month, and when people around me share their life like you have, it makes me feel like what I’m putting out is what I’m attracting. When the hustling gets tough, I honestly have to get back to my basics and focus on myself. I’ve spent too much of my life putting worry on what others might (or might not) think of me. This is something I’m working on dropping out of my life because it is holding me back from being myself. <3
    Kelsey Yoki recently posted…Stog Going At It Alone.

October 1, 2016 at 6:20 pm

totally! I’ve taken the past week to just chill out and gather my bearings and I feel so much more refreshed and happy!

Erin (eat, pray, get well)
    October 3, 2016 at 10:10 am

Love this post! The pressure we put on ourselves is usually much worse than the “perceived” pressure to keep up (social media is running at a rate nobody can keep up…so I love that you are listening your inner voice and doing what feels right to you. Erin 🙂

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    October 3, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Oh my goshhh I need to adopt that approach when it comes to shopping. I legitimately don’t have any more room in my closet, so I don’t even take new clothes out of the bag anymore. I just have a pile of shopping bags with clothes in them in the corner of my room lol.

Anyways, hope you’ve been enjoying taking a slower approach to blogging. It’s nice to just be able to relax without always having blogging on the brain!
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…What a Dietitian Eats at Ribfest

October 4, 2016 at 9:26 am

exactly! I don’t want to look back and think I spent my life blogging away!

Also you NEED to try a capsule wardrobe. It will change everything about the way you approach shopping! So so helpful!

Sam @ Hygge Wellness (fmr Barrister's Beet)
    October 13, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Have always loved your honesty. It’s so refreshing. Good for you for knowing when to step back and take a breather. Life is short. And you’ll come back to the table with more experiences , lessons, and a fresh perspective.