Live

8 Life-Changing Wellness Books You Need To Read

October 21, 2016

I don’t know if this passes or not, but whenever someone asks me for something people don’t know about me (a challenging question considering my entire life is on the internet) I always respond with “I’m a total book nerd”.

A self-proclaimed book nerd, Davida has outlined a list of the 8 life-changing wellness books you need to read. This books will change your life for the better!

Maybe this comes as a surprise to you, or maybe it doesn’t but either way I’m probably reading a book right now. JK, I’m clearly writing this post, but if I weren’t, I’d definitely be reading.

I usually have about 3 books going at once. One memoir, one non-fiction and one educational book. I find myself being in different moods at different times so sometimes I want to read about someone’s traumatizing college drama, or tips on how to build a better garden or 15th century french mistresses. Gotta be prepared for all occasions!

But over the years I have amassed a huge collection, which thanks to my kindle has allowed it to travel with me. As a side note- anyone who is a big-time reader or looking to read more, I highly recommend investing in a kindle. It’s incredibly packable, light, and the battery lasts forever. But the best part for me is that there’s no temptation to browse the web or other kinds of distractions you find on tablet.s #TeamKindle for life!

Okay back to the books. I am shameless self-help book junkie. I don’t know why this genre has gotten such a stigma, but regardless it’s probably my favorite type of book to binge on. I’m all for reading to make yourself a better person, who’s with me?

But some have stood out more than others and I wanted to finally share this list with you. So today I bring you 8 Life-Changing Wellness Books You NEED to read!

1. Essentialism

If you begin with any book, let it be this one. This book written by Greg McKeown  has transformed the way I do business and quite frankly, how I operate my life. Determining what is essential from what is not has made me a happier and less stressed out human. Start with this one!

2. The WomanCode

This one is for my ladies out there who are looking to delve deeper into their menstrual cycles and get a better understanding of your needs during each phase. I’ll admit that it was a little too challenging for me to actually implement the protocol, but it was a fascinating read and I’ve adopted certain principles that have helped in areas like acne control and PMS.

3. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

You don’t need to be a hoarder to read this book, but you will likely consider yourself one after reading it. It’s all about how to clear your life of clutter and lead a more minimalistic life. It’s what inspired me to adopt a capsule wardrobe a few years ago and not hold onto my old camp t-shirts that were ripping at the seams.

4. 10% Happier

One of my more recent reads so if you’ve seen me lately I have probably told you to read this book. Written by Dan Harris (ABC news anchor), this book tells his journey from a stressed out workaholic to how he discovered meditation and made himself 10% happier. The most approachable book I have read on meditation without telling you that you need to do a 10-day silent meditation retreat to find peace in your mind!

5. The Miracle Morning

Now I’ll admit that I’ve fallen a bit off the bandwagon with my miracle morning (I loooooove sleep), but I do still think this book was incredibly valuable. It talks about how to set a practice in place to start your day off feeling as awesome and productive as possible. While it lasted, I can truly say I was both happier and more productive…albeit a bit sleepier!

6. The Sleep Revolution

Speaking of sleep…The latest novel from Arianna Huffington focuses entirely on this topic. I’m a big proponent of the argument that more isn’t always better. Sometimes doing less, and sleeping better can be equally if not more beneficial than doing the activity all-together. For any sleep junkies (or anyone who should probably learn to sleep more), this book will transform your relationship with your bed.

7. Daring Greatly

I’m basically Brene Brown’s biggest fan girl. Perhaps not the most obvious choice for a book list on health and wellness, but I truly believe that learning to be vulnerable will set you free. So many of my issues surrounding food and exercise were a result of not feeling like I was deserving enough to use my voice. This book changed all of that for me.

8. It Was Me All Along

This is a memoir written by the uber talented blogger Andie Mitchell. The story tells her journey of losing 135lbs and what she discovered about herself in the process. For anyone who has struggled with their weight or with body image issues, I urge you to read this. Self love needs to exist at all sizes!

Any books you would add to the list? What’s your favorite genre of books?

WANT MORE HEALTHY LIVING TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about healthy living, products I'm loving and tips and tricks on making a healthy lifestyle easier and sustainable.

Amylou @ The No Grainer
    October 21, 2016 at 5:30 am

So funny! I’m in the middle of Essentialism right now! Before I even read the title you listed, I was like, Essentialism HAS to be on the list! Loving it!

Alicia @Bridges Through Life
    October 21, 2016 at 7:33 am

Love this list. I need to check these out. I am usually reading some sort of fiction book and some sort of self help book. For a while I was really good and reading more. I need to get back to that. I agree with the kindle too. Love mine for traveling.
    Alicia @Bridges Through Life recently posted…Yoga Workshop Fridays: Bridge Pose

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    October 21, 2016 at 7:50 am

Wow, I have a lot of reading to do now. 😉 All of these look awesome, Davida! I just started reading “Intuitive Eating” and I’m completely hooked.
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…Currently: October 2016

Dana Andersen
    October 21, 2016 at 9:05 am

I’ve read a couple of these but never even heard of others, will definitely have to check them out soon!

Cindy
    October 21, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thank you! I’m just reading BIG MAGIC my Elizabeth Gilbert (who wrote Eat, Pray, Love). Not finishes it and want to read again. My husband read it and is eagerly waiting for me to finish it so he can read it again. A gem!

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    October 21, 2016 at 9:19 am

oh mannnnnn, i used to be the biggest book nerd. between the ages of like 7 – 16, i would go to the library and walk out with a stack of books higher than my head. i used to keep a book journal of all the books i’d read that month haha. then university hit and it was all downhill from there. since then tho i’ve got my library card back and have been reading a couple nights a week and its my fav. Also, fiction ALWAYS. I love a good murder.
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…I Fell Off My Bike

October 23, 2016 at 7:04 pm

LOL I can totally picture it. Little Beverley nerd with glasses and braces. What I would pay to see a childhood picture hahaha

Kaitlyn
    October 21, 2016 at 9:26 am

All have been added to my Goodreads list! I appreciate recommendations since there is so much available. It’s nice when someone else does a little filtering 🙂 I’m currently reading Food Freedom Forever and My Beloved World, and I would recommend both. Food Freedom Forever if you’re into Whole 30 or follow Melissa Hartwig.

Stacy Petersen
    October 21, 2016 at 10:01 am

I’m currently knee deep in two good books – Rising Strong by Brene Brown and Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist. Love Brene Brown. I’ve also read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. Those are the three I’d add to this list. 🙂 Thanks for sharing, I’ll be checking a few of these out and adding them to my Kindle.

October 23, 2016 at 7:03 pm

love love love Brene Brown and Elizabeth Gilbert. Haven’t read Present Over Perfect but I’ve heard great things!

Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales
    October 21, 2016 at 11:59 am

I haven’t read any of these (but have heard great things about so many). Clearly I need to get reading!
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…A week in Oregon (Part 1): Exploring Portland

Leah M | love me, feed me
    October 21, 2016 at 12:23 pm

So many books added to my to read list now!! Really have my eye on Essentialism!
    I loooooved Daring Greatly (and anything else by Brene Brown) and It Was Me All Along! Both so powerful. You Are A Badass, The Happiness Project, and Big Magic are some that have definitely changed my life! Eating Animals too 🙂
    Leah M | love me, feed me recently posted…spooky cauldron brownies

October 23, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I agree with all of those!! Haven’t read You are a Badass but it sounds like it’s right up my alley!

Kelsey Preciado
    October 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Love this list!! I have needed another book to listen to on audible for my drive and want to read all of these! I also just read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert and loved it! 🙂
    Kelsey Preciado recently posted…Paleo Herb Cheese Crackers

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    October 21, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I do the same thing with books! I always have a fun book and a serious book on the go and read whatever one speaks to me at that time.

I think the only books I’d add to your list would be ones by Gretchen Rubin, probably Better Than Before.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…My October SPUD Favourites

October 23, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Read it and loved it! The difference between abstainers and moderators totally resonated with me!

Jessica S.
    October 22, 2016 at 2:03 am

I’m a total fan girl for Michelle May and her Eat What You Love series…especially the Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Binge Eating. Honestly, as a dietitian, I can’t tell you how often I’m photocopying chapters of that book for my clients…whether they’re struggling officially with binge eating disorder or not. It really teaches you how to tune into your body and nurture it.

Kayla
    October 22, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Yes to #3, I just wrote a whole post about KonMari-ing my tiny apartment.
    I’d add “The Happiness Project” to the list. It totally changed my mindset about happiness and how to be happier.
    Kayla recently posted…Fitness: From Novelty to Routine

October 23, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Yes!! An oldie but a goodie. Read that years ago and I’m thinking I may need to re-read as a refresher!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    October 23, 2016 at 10:37 pm

I have literally just taken out Essentialism from the library! I’m really looking forward to it!
    I have also read 10% happier, but think it had been hyped up so much to me beforehand that I was a a little dissapointed.
    Have you read Better than Before by Gretchin Rubin? I loved it and think you would like it too!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Friday Favourites – Oct 21

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    October 28, 2016 at 8:03 am

Hm, until recently I only read fiction (and cookbooks), but lately I’ve felt the need to read something else. (Hate how the category self-help book got such a bad rep! grr) So thanks for the recommendations, I’ll check them out. Oh and YES, Kindle all the way!! Until I got my first Kindle I took about 4-5 books with me on holidays…
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake (Gluten and Refined Sugar-free)