Live

Seasonal Vibes {Volume 1}: Fall Feels

October 20, 2017

I say this every time, but whenever I stop in for a life update-type post I want to yell “it’s been way too long since I’ve done this!”. Because it has been way too long, and I suck at keeping up with these.

Seasonal Vibes - Volume 1 - All the fall feels with The Healthy Maven

I think I’ve gone through at least 5 different iterations of this type of post. First there were weekend recaps, then beyond the kitchen, then life as told from my iphone and life lately. Now there’s “Seasonal Vibes”. Wish me luck on this one…

JK. I think committing myself to a quarterly life update is actually quite reasonable. Now that Instagram is as big and as powerful as it is, it has made it harder to sit down and write out my thoughts about everything. But I really do miss these, and connecting with you guys. No matter what I will always be a blogger first and I love that THM is my space that is free of algorithms and rules. It’s pretty damn special.

And because there are no rules, there really is no format to these types of posts. They’re a combination of brain dump meets virtual diary. And in theory they’ll happen once per season (hence “seasonal vibes”). That seems manageable right?

Let’s jump in…

1. I (like most of you) feel like I’m struggling with all.the.things. With so many horrible events happening in our world, it’s been hard to feel like I can catch my breath. While I certainly know I’m not alone in this sentiment, I’m finding it particularly challenging to keep THM a positive and inspirational place when I kind of want to crawl in bed and pull my sheets over my head. I’ve talked to a lot of people about this and most just tell me to avoid social media, which is easier said than done when your business requires social media. It’s a unique position to be in and one that I don’t expect most of you to understand, but I’ll just say this: it’s incredibly hard to inspire others when you’re not feeling particularly inspired by the world around you.

That being said, I’ve also had a lot of productive conversations with my friends about how it’s important to not just put focus on all of the negative things happening, but also the positive. Like the bus driver who high-fived everyone who got on yesterday or the tens of thousands of volunteers who donated their time and resources to those who lost homes in the Sonoma/Napa Fires. It is tragic what is happening in our world, but it’s also harnessing the power of humanity to just be freaking good. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder. This Negative Nancy is a work in progress, but I’m getting there!

2. It turns out that you guys LOVE my Mom. I mean I’m not at all surprised by this, but I didn’t guess she’d become a local area celebrity on THM. My Mom was in town this past week for wedding stuff (more on that below) and I randomly decided to share some of her cleaning tips on my Instagram stories. After sharing, SO many of you reached out with cleaning questions, tears of laughter and actual pictures of your clean (and dirty!) ovens. For the record, my Mom was not messing with me or you. That is her completely. Jewish mother’s love and guilt is very real. She left yesterday after cleaning my entire apartment spotless and reminding me that it’s unacceptable to not fold my dish cloths. Some things never change…

3. I’ve gotten a lot of questions about how much of the wedding I’ll be sharing on THM so I thought I would finally answer. Other than my thoughts and feelings around it, I won’t be sharing a whole lot in the lead-up to the big day. Afterwards I’ll likely share a recap, but beyond why I won’t be losing weight for my wedding and how I’m focusing on self-care I feel pretty strongly that there needs to be a separation between the wedding and the blog. It’s mostly for my sake to be honest. I’ve felt a lot of pressure from people for it to be the #MavenWedding but I’m really trying hard to not confuse what’s important to us with what looks good on Pinterest. It’s so easy to get wrapped up with unattainable expectations that just stress you out and take away from the planning process so besides a few Instagram stories here and there I’m trying my best to set a boundary.

What I can tell you is that the venue is booked and it’s in San Francisco in May 2018. Save the dates went out and we are so so excited to celebrate with our favorite people!

4. I feel like I’m having a daily identity crisis when it comes to the blog. If I’m being totally upfront, I have a really hard time managing the blog, my videos and the podcast. But here’s the thing, I love all three! The advice I give other people who want to be a part of this space is to pick a niche and stick to it, but I’m terrible at taking my own advice. It’s why I’ll be sporadic with blog posts, take a break on the podcast or disappear from YouTube for a few weeks. I simply don’t have the kind of creative energy to do all three at once. But I also know myself well enough that if I just picked one, I’d get bored and start seeking creativity elsewhere. So I’m ignoring the rules, ditching consistency and saying “screw it!” to picking a niche. I’m a blogger, youtuber, podcaster, overwhelmed-crazy-human…but so what?!

5. I’m off to Grand Cayman next week! My travel schedule has been a bit nutty and I’ll admit that flying across the continent 3 times in 5 weeks is a tad overwhelming, but 5 days in the Caribbean sounds like the perfect antidote. Luckily, the Cayman Islands weren’t affected by the hurricanes and I’m so excited to explore their wellness scene and share the experience with you. I’ll admit that I’m a tiny bit nervous as this is the first solo press trip I’ve ever done. Typically either C is with me or there are other bloggers there, but this time I’m flying solo! But I’m taking this as an opportunity to really focus inwards, reset some bad habits and set some self-care intentions. Also 5 days in this hotel is certainly nothing to complain about! Stay tuned on Instagram for daily updates.

Seasonal Vibes - Volume 1 - All the fall feels with The Healthy Maven

*All photos courtesy of Bettina Bogar

What’s been going on in your lives? I LOVE getting life updates from you – especially those of you who don’t comment frequently (or ever!)

Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales
    October 20, 2017 at 9:02 am

Have fun in the Caymans! I’ve been there a few times to visit friends who live there. I could use some of the sun and heat right now!

Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen
    October 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

Seriously it really is so hard to stay positive and inspired when there is so much going on in the outside world. I started reading The Book of Joy this summer but haven’t picked it up in a while. Not that it isn’t good but I am terrible at finishing books these days… But it does talk about how to stay positive in a world that is filled with so much hurt.

ANYWAYS, obviously love these posts <3 Pictures are also stunning!

October 27, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I literally have a list of books I need to get from the book store. I normally kindle or amazon order, but I remembered recently how much I love bookstores so I’m making it my mission to go to one this week!

Sue
    October 20, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Glad you posted! My daughter got married September 9th! It was a beautiful day, a beautiful wedding and the perfect start to their new life!! Loving that fall is finally on it’s way and loving life!! ❤️❤️

October 27, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Congrats to you, your daughter and your whole family! Weddings are such a beautiful celebration of love and happiness and the world could use a whole lot more of that! xoxo

Willa
    October 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I love your blog. I am truly happy I found it. Mazel tov on your upcoming simcha! Congrats on picking a venue and sending out your save the dates. Those are two huge accomplishments; two things to cross off of your list and two less things to stress over. I love how honest and real you are with your blog. I feel like that differentiates you from other bloggers out there; I feel it makes you that much more relatable something that I truly appreciate. With everything going on in your life it’s no wonder you feel the way you do with the blog, videos and podcast. Try to enjoy yourself on your trip the Caymans, relax and rejuvenate. Whenever you get it, you can then reassess your next foot forward. In a crazy world, thank you for the reminder to stay positive. It is such a simple thing to say, but not so easy to remember. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors, I can’t wait to check in and see what happens next in the life of Davida, the healthy maven!

October 27, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Thank you so much for your support and kind words, Willa! Feeling so lucky to have the ultimate tribe and all around crew of people who support me when I’m struggling. It’s hard to admit when you’re in the place but in vulnerability you find connection and through that I’ve met you 🙂 Sending you lots of love and positive vibes! xoxo

October 21, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Please tell your mother she’s always got a place to stay (and perhaps clean if she feels so inspired) when visiting her bestie in Cleveland. Although I do intend to tackle my oven soon. 🙂

Embrace the mess; screw the niche and do what makes you happy. When you try to live up to others expectations is when it all falls apart. I think it’s smart to keep the wedding separate and I’m thrilled for you and C.

October 27, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Can always count on you to give me the kick in the butt that I need…except when it comes to cleaning…we leave that to Mama Maven!

Nicole @ Laughing My Abs Off
    October 22, 2017 at 4:33 pm

That first photo is literally like a painting, I love it! I just wanted to say that I adore each and every medium you use to put out content, and I’m always checking for updates on the blog, the podcast, and on YouTube. I think the fact that you can do all three just makes you even more inspirational and talented, and it also means I have something for any mood. So I guess all that to say, keep doing what you’re doing ’cause it’s totally working 😉
    Nicole @ Laughing My Abs Off recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday {The Taste of Freedom}

October 27, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Nicole- you are the best support system a girl could ask for! Thank you for all that you do to make me feel loved and supported. So blessed to have such an incredible tribe!

October 23, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Totally feeling you on #1. My anxiety is going haywire lately. Getting outside and just taking pleasure in our nice sunny weather lately has been helping though.

Enjoy Grand Cayman! I was there on a brief cruise stop a few years ago and wish I could have stayed there longer to explore!

Amanda
    October 24, 2017 at 2:23 pm

I absolutely loved the Mama Maven Instagram stories. It also reminded me that I haven’t cleaned my oven since we bought our house 1.5 years ago… but at least now I know how 🙂 Love your blog and totally don’t blame you for not posting regular updates on wedding planning… just the planning itself is a lot.

I finally launched a blog of my own! Thanks to The Blogger Project 🙂

October 27, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Amanda! I’m so happy to hear that! Both on your love for Mama Maven (she’s the best!) and for launching your blog! You’ll have to send it to me so I can check it out!

Dennis Vire
    October 25, 2017 at 11:09 am

Don’t lose sight that in a world where so much is wrong, you and what you do online is a big something right. We need more like you being vocal.

October 27, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Thank you so much, Dennis. Your comment brought a huge smile to my face! Keep spreading love <3

Sean Mahan
    November 1, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Love the updates! Thanks for sharing with us. And I’m excited to hear about your travel to Grand Cayman, must be awesome there!