It’s taken me a while to get around to posting this recipe. I debated posting it, not because they aren’t delicious but because they aren’t exactly the easiest thing to make. Ultimately the recipes I publish are the things that interest me and I would want to see if I were reading my blog. The problem with this is that not all of my recipes are particularly accessible or easy to make.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Animal Crackers
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 16 mins
Keywords: bake dessert snack cookie
Ingredients (Yields: 60-80 cookies, dependi)
- 1 flax egg (1 T flax meal mixed with 3 T water)
- 2 T almond milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 T earth balance
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
1. Mix flax egg and set aside.
2. combine almond milk and lemon juice and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer beat earth balance until soft.
4. Add in coconut palm sugar and seeds from the vanilla bean).
5. Add in almond milk-lemon mixture.
6. Combine dry ingredients.
7. Add dry ingredients to wet and beat until well combined.
8. Using a spoon mix in flax egg.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
10. Place batter in fridge for 20-30 mins.
11. Take two pieces of wax paper and spray or pat with coconut oil.
12. Place dough on 1 sheet of wax paper and cover with the other sheet.
13. Using a rolling pin roll out until dough is a 1/4 inch thick.
14. Use animal cut-outs to shape cookies and place on a parchment or silicone-lined tray.
15. Bake for 10 mins (turning once halfway through). Watch carefully as they may be done before then depending on your oven.
16. Repeat for each tray.
Healthy Cake Batter Dip
Prep Time: 10 mins
Keywords: blender dessert gluten-free vegan chickpeas
Inspired by: Chocolate Covered Katie
Ingredients (Yields: 2 cups of dip)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can), rinsed well
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup xylitol (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- heaping 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional but adds a cake-batter flavour)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
1. Blend all ingredients (except sprinkles) in a food processor until very, very smooth.
2. Add in sprinkles and pulse several times to combine.
3. Store in fridge for several days.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!