Too often is soup overlooked for its detoxing abilities and delicious flavor. Ditch the salads this season and reach for a bowl of healthy vegetable soup! Bring on the healthful goodness with this delicious & hearty Detox Soup Recipe!
Boy do I have a treat for you! And by treat I mean detox because after the holidays I don’t want to look at anything containing sugar. That’s a lie but still this Detox Soup Recipe, I could stare at all day.
What is a soup detox?
It’s interesting to learn how different people define “detox” and what their healthy resolutions are for the new year. For some people it means banning those sweets (not my style but #youdoyou) and for others it means trying to eat more veggies. Many of you focus on getting in more exercise or watching your portion control.
My goal (which is not exclusive to my new years resolutions) is to eat mostly unprocessed foods, stay active and eat the rainbow. To be honest, it’s not even really a goal. It’s just simply the way I live.
A Healthy Take on Detoxing
Detox is kind of a loaded term. I’ve had people ask me when this recipe will “take effect” and they will start to feel the detoxing impact. Here’s the truth: You won’t. To me, a soup detox means focusing on vegetables and feeling good in your own skin. After eating lots of cookies and sweets, I too start to crave ALL.THE.VEGGIES. It’s not a means of weight-loss but simply wanting to not feel like I’m oozing sugar out of my pores. I know you know what I mean!
All too often salads take the crown for the ultimate in detox dishes and soups are entirely forgotten. When people tell me they don’t like soup it literally crushes my soul. How could you not like soup? There are millions of different flavour combos, you can throw everything but the kitchen sink into them and you can get your entire days worth of vegetables into one bowl. And this Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe is certainly no exception.
Ingredients in Healthy Vegetable Soup [Soup Detox]:
- olive oil
- vegetables – yellow onion, large carrot, celery stalks, red bell pepper, garlic cloves, green beans, diced tomatoes and kale.
- vegetable stock
- seasonings and spices – dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, sea salt, black pepper and fresh parsley.
RELATED: Grab this Immune-Boosting Soup Recipe
How to Make This Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe:
There are 8 different types of vegetables in this Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe. Well there is if you count parsley. I have a preference for certain veggies but I welcome you to change them up. Not a fan of string beans? Replace with cauliflower! Love broccoli? Throw that in. That’s the best part about this soup detox recipe, it’s easily customizable.
If you’re looking for a protein boost, throw in some chicken or beef or even beans or just leave it as is when you need a fresh start. Vegetables have never tasted so good.
Bonus points: use some homemade bone broth for an extra dose of vitamins and minerals.
Can You Store + Freeze This Detox Soup Recipe?
One of the reasons I love soup is that you can make one batch and have meals all week or you can freeze leftover and have a balanced meal on a busy night.
To store – let cool in the refrigerator in an airtight container – it’ll keep for up to five days.
To freeze – If you need to store it longer than five days, let it cool in the refrigerator first and then transfer to the freezer. It’ll keep for up to three months!Print
Detox Vegetable Soup
Too often is soup overlooked for its detoxing abilities and delicious flavor. Ditch the salads this season and reach for a bowl of soup! Bring on the healthful goodness with this delicious & hearty Detox Vegetable Soup!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded + chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups of kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat up a large pot over med-high heat and add olive oil.
- Throw in onion, carrot and celery and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in garlic and bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in green beans and cook for another minute.
- Top with diced tomatoes, vegetable stock and spices and give it a stir.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer, uncovered over med-low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add in kale and cook for 5 more minutes (it will wilt).
- Top with fresh parsley and serve warm.
- Will keep for a week in refrigerator and freezes well for several months.
Keywords: Detox soup, detox vegetable soup, vegetable soup
LIKE THIS RECIPE? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!