I was so excited to hear your response to the return of Season 4! We definitely kicked things off with a bang in Episode #71 with dosist. I so appreciate your openness to learning about new topics that carry some stigma. I truly do have the best tribe!
Today’s episode is equally as interesting and important. I’m chatting with Kelsey Miller, an anti-diet writer and body positivity activist. She is well known for her writing on Refinery 29’s Anti-Diet Project and her memoir, Big Girl. She’s also been working on her newest book, a pop-culture look at everyone’s favorite TV show, Friends.
Photo by: Harry Tanielyan
Not only is Kelsey incredibly knowledgeable in helping us navigate our diet-focused culture, but her story in and of itself is inspiring. I’m so excited to welcome Kelsey Miller to the show today.
Here are a few things we discuss in today’s episode:
- Kelsey’s upbringing and how she got caught in the diet-binge cycle
- Growing up in diet culture and if and how things have changed
- The history of diet culture and diet fads
- Why all diets inevitably fail
- Her wake-up call and when she finally realized she didn’t want to be caught in the diet cycle
- Kelsey’s thoughts on Intuitive Eating and what it really means to embrace IE
- “Clean” eating and why it’s still a diet and the dangers of the wellness space
- The difference between dieting to manipulate your body and chronic illness
- Getting married and the dieting culture that permeates it
- Her new book and why she chose to write about friends
Do you have any questions for Kelsey?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!