Upon cleaning out my pantry the other day I had a major epiphany. I discovered that my life is a lie. Okay, that’s wee bit dramatic, but I have only recently come to the realization that I’ve been living life under the assumption that certain things about myself are true.
I have always considered myself to be a organized person, and on a relative scale I probably am. But only recently have I learned that my version of neat, which I refer to as “as out of site, out of mind” does not make you organized. Apparently there are people in the world who enjoy colour-coordinating their clothes, or better yet FOLDING their clothes. I hate folding.
Another interesting discovery about myself is that I am not a morning person. Despite years of claiming to be so, it turns out that peaking at 10:00 AM does not make you a morning person. Quitting running probably had something to do with this. It turns out that not getting up at the crack of dawn to run is kind of awesome.
And then there’s pot pie. I have spent the past 24 years hating pot pie. Why? I’ll never know. My hunch is that my Mom used to make it with peas which I don’t like (clearly I may want to reassess this), but I recently tried pot pie again and it’s almost as good as sleeping in! I thought it would be kind of fun to put a spin on it and make it with tempeh instead of chicken. I figure since I’ve been pushing my boundaries by trying pot pie you can push yours with a little tempeh. Oh and these Mini Tempeh Pot Pies are entirely vegan and gluten-free too. Win!
Mini Tempeh Pot Pies
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Keywords: bake entree dairy-free gluten-free vegan tempeh
Ingredients (Serves: 4)
For the pastry:
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- 1 T water
For the inside:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 block of tempeh, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 T gluten-free tamari (optional but highly recommended!)
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
for the “egg” wash:
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine all pastry ingredients until it is sticky but not wet (add more water if too dry). Form into a large ball.
3. Cut dough into quarters and using a rolling pin roll out each until at least 6 inches. Set aside.
4. In a medium sized pot heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for several minutes or until onions are translucent.
5. Add in mushrooms and continue sautéing for several minutes.
6. Add in the tempeh, veggie stock and cornstarch.
7. While stirring continuously, bring mixture to a boil and then lower heat immediately. Mixture should thicken.
8. Stir in spices.
9. Divide evenly between 4 10oz oven-proof ramekins.
10. Cover each with pastry and press into sides.
11. Make “egg wash” and using a pastry brush, brush the top of each ramekin.
12. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and using a knife make a cross on the top of each.
13. Bake for 30 minutes.
Have you made any recent discoveries about yourself? How about a food you thought you hated?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!