breakfast gluten-free vegan winter

Peppermint Mocha Waffles

November 17, 2013

I haven’t been entirely honest with you. All this time I’ve been going around talking about my pancake obsession and oatmeal addiction, but I really haven’t admitted my favourite breakfast food, waffles. I mean how could you not love them? They’re carby and huge and are made to absorb a pound of maple syrup.

Peppermint Mocha Waffles - get your morning coffee and favorite holiday flavor in waffle form with these tasty, gluten-free AND vegan waffles!

I also think the fact that they require the extra step of taking out the waffle-maker makes them seem that much more special. Or maybe that extra step seems daunting and they end up being reserved for special occasions. Either way, if I wake up with the motivation to make waffles, I know it’s going to be a good day.

While I’m sharing my honesty here I think it’s important for me to admit that I’ve never actually had a peppermint mocha latte. Kathy has made it clear they taste like crack, and seeing as I already come from aΒ city where our mayor smokes crack, i’m trying to avoid that stuff. But I love the taste of peppermint and mocha, and I think my taste buds are attune enough to figure out how they taste in combination. Turns out the taste of these peppermint mocha waffles is not surprisingly, freaking awesome.

Peppermint Mocha Waffles

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 5 large waffles 1x
  • Category: Breakfast
  • Diet: Vegan

Scale
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water) – could also use 2 eggs
  • 2 cups oat flour (ground oats)
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups strong coffee
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • Optional: 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips

1. Turn on waffle-maker.
  2. Make flax eggs and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl combine coffee, maple syrup, apple sauce, peppermint extract and apple cider vinegar.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry and then stir in flax eggs.
  6. Let batter sit for 5 mins.
  7. Spray waffle-maker with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
  8. For large waffles use 1/2 cup of batter and cook according to waffle-maker instructions.
  9. Serve warm with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves of choice.
  10. These freeze well.
Get into the holiday spirit guilt-free with these gluten-free, vegan and healthy peppermint mocha waffles. A breakfast twist on a Starbucks classic! #waffles #veganwaffles #peppermintwaffles

Pancakes or waffles? Are you a peppermint mocha fan?

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    November 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Oh yeah girl….oh yeah. Peppermint mocha or peppermint chocolate is one of my all-time favorite combinations! These look awesome and very decadent!

Nicole @ Quest for Balance
    November 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm

OMG these look amazing! I’m definitely going to have to whip up a batch of these in the near future. You are lucky you’ve never tried the peppermint mocha from Starbucks, it really is unbelievably delicious. And what is up with Rob Ford, eh? It really embarrassing for our city. O well. Happy Sunday!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I knowwww. I hate that I’m feeding into it, but he’s just so ridiculous I have a hard time stopping myself!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    November 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Those waffles look so drool-worthy!!! They are gorgeous & I want them!!
    Your mayor & crack joke – hilarious. Happy Sunday!! πŸ™‚

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    November 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

WAFFLES!!! I like them so much better than pancakes. I think this whole Rob Ford thing is absolutely hilarious. SO FUNNY. Am I evil for saying that?

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    November 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I NEED to get a waffle maker! Those look sooo good.

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Haha I love the dig at Mayor Ford. Man, what craziness.

These look like my kinda crack though. πŸ˜‰ I always forget I have a waffle maker… I need to make more use of it!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    November 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

You are the waffle goddess, my friend. If only I had a waffle iron…

November 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Confession: working with peppermint extract has always freaked me out a bit. I’m always under the impression that I’ll use way too much and that whatever I’m making will come out tasting like toothpaste. But since I trust your cooking skills more than mine, I’m going to go ahead and assume that these will satisfy my tastebuds a lot better than they’ll clean my teeth πŸ˜‰ I’m not sure I could ever give up my oatmeal breakfasts, but waffles for lunch or dinner sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Girl we gotta get you over that fear! No toothpaste taste whatsoever. Technically they’re made of oats…does that count?

D.
    November 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

……AAAANNNNNDDDD the peppermint comes out! YAY! …Sorry. I’m a little irrationally excited for this! But wooohooo! I love waffles. And mocha. *Sigh* I’m totally a breakfast person. So much so, that my wedding in May is a brunch wedding just so that I can serve breakfast food without everyone looking at me like I’m off my rocker haha.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I am SO onboard with that idea! I think I love you more than I already did just for having a wedding brunch!

Jessie
    November 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

Since I already know I’m getting a waffle maker for Christmas, I’m now even more excited after seeing this recipe. Can we just skip Thanksgiving and jump to December 25th already? I mean, Canada already celebrated Thanksgiving, cant we pretend us US folks did too? πŸ™‚

November 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

You have no joke sparked a huge waffle craving…so much so they are on the menu for this week. Good one. I don’t mind the peppermint mocha in a drink (only had it in the US) but I think the coconut or cinnamon roll waffles will be the winners!

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    November 17, 2013 at 6:11 am

Please come make me breakfast now πŸ™‚ I promise to take you to the beach in return!

Oh the crack jokes! Surprisingly people have stopped making fun of Rob Ford here in Vancouver. I guess it got kind of sad.

1 2 3 4