gluten-free sides

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

June 25, 2014

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks – Crisp, tender zucchini sticks covered in quinoa flakes and oven-roasted to perfection. They make a healthy and nutritious side dish recipe for weekday dinners or weekend parties!

Whenever I am on vacation I let all eating rules go out the window. Not that I follow that many rules to begin with, but I generally eat healthy when I am home. That’s because I only keep healthy ingredients in my house and since I only eat out when I am either lazy or want to try a new restaurant, that means most of the time.

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks - Crisp, tender zucchini sticks covered in quinoa flakes and oven-roasted to perfection. They make a healthy and nutritious side dish recipe for weekday dinners or weekend parties!This past weekend I ate whatever I wanted and didn’t think twice. Ice cream, froyo, french fries and an unhealthy amount of vodka (there’s a reason there’s no other pictures from the boat) all made it’s way into my mouth. And I have zero regrets. There was a time when I would feel guilty for indulging but that feels like it was a lifetime ago. Old Davs would have said that “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”, but that’s because she had never tried Blueberry Salted Honey Custard. CRAZINESS.

But after four days of straight indulgence, it’s only natural you start to crave some veggies. I actually made these Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks for a dinner I hosted last week but zucchini’s were on sale (yay for zucchini season!) so they’re on the roster for tonight. I don’t believe in quick fixes when it comes to diets, but it’s only natural that sometimes we need a reset. For me that means going to the grocery store and shopping the outer aisles for fresh veggies and fruit and protein sources.

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce // thehealthymaven.com$112 dollars later and I’m ready for some healthy, nutrient-packed meals! Sure my grocery bill was slightly on the higher end, but it sure beats the price tag for a juice cleanse! I don’t want to hate on juice cleanses, because I too have done one (although I did turn into Cruella De Vil, hangry stylez) but they’re probably not going to be that magic weight-loss trick you always wanted. Say adios to your water weight for approximately 3 days and hello 3 days later! But then again if that’s what you need for your reset, more power to ya.

My reset involves zucchinis and quinoa and yogurt and mustard. Maybe unconventional to you, but it works for me!

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

• Total Time: 40 minutes
Scale

For the Zucchini Sticks:

• 2 large zucchinis (or 3 medium)
  • 2/3 cup quinoa flakes*
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large egg

For the Honey Mustard Sauce:

• 1/2 cup 0% fat greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Slice zucchinis into thirds and then slice thirds into sticks.
  3. in a large bowl combine quinoa flakes, garlic powder and sea salt.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk one egg.
  5. Using one hand, dip one zucchini stick into the egg and then using the other hand dip the stick into the quinoa flakes. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all zucchini sticks have been coated.
  6. Bake sticks for 30 mins.
  7. Meanwhile, combine all honey mustard dip ingredients.
  8. Remove sticks from oven and serve warm with honey mustard dipping sauce.

Notes

*Not regular quinoa. Look for quinoa flakes in health food stores or gluten-free aisles.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 4

Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce // thehealthymaven.comDo you eat differently on vacation? Do you ever do a food reset?

Brittany @ Barr & Table
    June 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm

These look delicious and I’ll definitely have to give them a try. But fo realz, I’m obsessed with your pictures right now. I could like peel a quinoa flake off through the computer!

The Maven's BFF
    June 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm

You forgot to mention the best thing we ate all weekend- blue [potato] balls.

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    June 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I love that you used quinoa flakes!! I’ve been thinking about getting those but haven’t had enough ideas. Zucchini sticks for the win because I love baked zucchini!

I am pretty good about sticking with my healthy eating goals on vacation, but I let myself go with the flow and have ice cream before a sandwich if that’s what sounds good for lunch. It’s nice to not overthink things and let yourself enjoy all the amazing foodie spots you want to hit up in a new place! Glad you had such a good time.

June 25, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I NEED BLUEBERRY HONEY CUSTARD. Where do I ever find this at??

I usually eat pretty balanced when I’m traveling (minus lots of vodka + lobster benedict in Toronto)… Portland is a different story. Ice cream for breakfast? Okay! I’m surrounded by bad influences with good metabolisms there πŸ™‚

June 25, 2014 at 11:36 am

Even with all the crazy diet shenanigans I’ve pulled in my time, I’ve never been able to do a juice cleanse — I enjoy chewing… and not starving. I think juices can be a great -addition- to a healthy diet, but not the foundation of one. Have you ever heard of people who go on juice FASTS and do it for months and months? Insanity.

Christie - Food Done Light
    June 25, 2014 at 11:19 am

I hadn’t thought to use quinoa flakes as a crust. Can’t wait to try it. I love crusted zucchini sticks.

June 26, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thanks Christie! I also love coating chicken with quinoa flakes πŸ™‚ Makes them so crispy!

[email protected]
    June 25, 2014 at 11:09 am

Ohhh I got so excited because I just bought zucchini and quinoa but then I saw you need quinoa flakes. Whomp whomp! I’ll have to try it another time. What do you serve these with?

I’m not a big fan of juice cleanses. I think they are counterproductive for weight loss and don’t really offer the nutritional variety your body needs. I think juice as part of a healthy diet is great but the cleanses are kind of a marketing trick in my opinion. My friend is doing one and I had to bite my tongue!

Brittany
    June 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

I don’t actually eat all that different when I am on vacation than I do at home. Sure, I will gladly eat an extra cupcake or giant bean burger because that’s my favorite way to experience a new place, but I don’t ever find myself overdoing it. If anything I tend to eat less on vacations because I am go go going so much!! I do love how my body reacts to a lack of veggies, I can’t really go more than two days without clean eats before I look like a zombie. I’m like a fine tuned machine, put something foreign in me and I’ll need to sleep alone..if you know what I’m sayin…

Brittany
      June 25, 2014 at 10:51 am

I got so wrapped up in fart talk I didn’t even comment on the sticks!! THEY LOOK SO YUM. I’d eat them all.

June 25, 2014 at 10:59 am

you officially win best comment of the post. For the record, C is far more likely to stop me from eaten gluten than I am because the poor guy’s gotta sleep with me that night. It ain’t pretty πŸ˜‰

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    June 25, 2014 at 9:55 am

I definitely reset with whole foods … I’ve run a group coaching program through my Spring Reset that was very similar, and people seemed to love it! I’ve never done a juice cleanse, mainly because I think I’d be too hangry πŸ™‚

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    June 25, 2014 at 9:20 am

im with you when it comes to reset with whole foods rather than juice or some quick fix. on that note, i have been indulging for the past month or so..hopefully i will take charge of that soon.

Em @ Love A Latte
    June 25, 2014 at 9:11 am

These look fun! I absolutely eat different on vacation. Last vacation my husband and I took, we definitely had gelato like every day. That being said, a lot of the food I eat was awesome vegan meals, but dessert is included at every meal when it comes to vacation generally!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    June 25, 2014 at 9:03 am

These sound amazing! I made zucchini baked pizza bites last weekend. I love love love zucchini!

1 2 3 4