Though I could probably eat strictly sweet potato fries as a meal, apparently it’s important to have some form of protein with every dish…I can only dream! Fortunately this recipe for slow cooker jerk chicken paired fantastically well with my sweet potato fries and also was super easy to make.
You can make this recipe with any kind of chicken. I happened to have purchased chicken legs but it would be equally as delicious with thighs, wings or even breasts, if you prefer white meat. It’s more the Jamaican jerk rub that matters. If you don’t have a slow cooker you could also just bake these in the oven for 15-20 mins before turning it up to broil.
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
First off it’s a hands-off method. You can stick pretty much whatever you want in one and then walk away. I suggest cooking the chicken for 4 hours on low but if you have your hands full or are out running errands your chicken will not be burnt to a crisp if you leave it in for 5 hours. Second, ovens can get HOT. The slow cooker won’t heat up your kitchen which is especially pertinent during the summer heat. And you don’t have to worry about burning your house down.
Ingredients in Jerk Seasoning
- green onions
- dried thyme
- cayenne pepper
- dried mustard
- sea salt
- lemon juice
How to Make Slow Coker Jerk Chicken
Add all of the jerk seasoning ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Place your chicken in the slow cooker and top with the seasoning. Cook on low for four hours – I like to turn the chicken over once halfway through to make sure the seasoning works its way through. After the four hours, broil your chicken in the oven for five minutes or until it’s nice and crispy. Traditional jerk chicken has a nice crisp on the outside that helps bring out the flavours.
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours and 5 mins
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
- 1 cup of chopped green onions (about 2-3)
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it really spicy)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T honey (or other liquid sweetener)
- 2 pounds of chicken legs (about 10), with skin on or off as preference
- coconut or olive oil for greasing slow cooker
- Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until combined
- Place chicken in a slow-cooker greased with coconut or olive oil.
- Top with jerk mixture.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Turn chicken over and top with juices after 2 hours for best results.
- Set oven to broil.
- Add chicken to baking sheet and pour remaining juices on top.
- Broil chicken for 5 minutes or until it is crispy on the outside.
Keywords: slow-cooker; bake; entree; gluten-free; Jamaican
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Stew
- Slow Cooker Peaches and Cream Steel-Cut Oatmeal
- Slow Cooker Curry
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!