blogging

The Definition of Insanity

October 3, 2013
By Benjamin Franklin’s definition I am clinically insane (for the record, Einstein is also quoted as saying this making it a double whammy!). I have a habit of continuing to do the same thing over and over expecting that the next time things will be better, that the result will be different. But the truth is that nothing will be different unless you make it different.

A new month is always a great time to sit down and assess where you are at in your life and where you would like to be. Some call these goals, but I call them priorities. Goals are the small things I’d like to achieve, like my 25 by 25 list. Priorities are how I want to live my life on a daily basis.

Lately life has felt exhausting. I no doubt have a lot on my plate, but most people do. Yet I continue to fill my days in the exact same way. The result? A whole lot of complaining.

I complain about my job, yet I make no moves to look into new options and opportunities.

I complain about my leg, yet I will still go out and run.

I complain about the blog, yet I don’t adapt to a more realistic posting schedule.

My main complaint is time. That I don’t have time to do all of the things I need and want to do. But the truth is that I do have the time. It’s just a matter of assessing how to prioritize it.

So on October 1st I sat down and made a list of my life priorities and am adapting my day-to-day activities to reflect these. This list is for my eyes and my eyes only (I doubt you would find it interesting anyway), but I just wanted to give you a heads up that things may be changing around here. Mainly you won’t be seeing me as much. You have turned out to be a support system that I never could have imagined and on some level I feel incredibly accountable to you.

On that note, time to go figure out my life!

Have you ever felt like you were doing the same thing over and over expecting the next time to be different? Do you make priority lists?

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Good luck re-evaluating things! I think it’s always important to take stock and prioritize stuff that’s most important. I feel like I’m always mentally prioritizing, but I haven’t written stuff down in a while. I also thinking being happy in your career goes a long way towards feeling less burned out. Hope things turn around for you soon!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm

It’s great to reevaluate your priorities on a regular basis! It sounds like you are making some positive changes 🙂 These past couple months I have become way better at not wanting to be so busy – if that makes sense? I thrive on being busy and having lots to do and get bored easily! But for my mental health it has been a lot better to chill out a bit. Actually I could really relate to this post I came across the other day: http://www.stripesandsequins.com/2013/09/a-calm-life.html

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:45 am

Thanks for sending along that post! I think we take our mental health for granted. I’ve become so used to planning every second that I forgot to take the time to just sit back and do NOTHING…yes doing nothing is a priority of mine!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm

You’re so right about the difference between priorities and goals. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by life, or a general feeling of unhappiness, the underlying reason is inevitably that I’ve allowed my use of time to fall out of line with my actual priorities. Of course we’ll miss you if you’re not here as often, but I think I speak for all your readers that we love you and stand by you no matter how often you post! Good luck with your life planning, it’s the first step to a happier, less complaint-filled life! xoxo

October 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I’ve been known to engage in a little bit of insanity myself, so I totally understand where you’re coming from with this…it’s hard to change patterns, but it’s awesome that you’re taking some time to figure out your priorities and where you’re going.
    I think I could use a priority list, myself! Especially for after I graduate…it’s easy for me to blog now (I love grad student life) but I know that will change in the future.

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I am absolutely insane by that definition. It’s so hard to change your behavior though. Patterns are hard to break 😛

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    October 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I love lists and priorities. I have been going through a similar thing lately. There are all these things I want yet I was doing nothing to get out and change anything. I recently, within the last week or two, have finally started making conscious steps to better myself and make me a bit happier with life. I hope things go well for you. I also 100% understand the need to cut back on blogging a bit. I struggle with that and my own expectations all the time.

Jessie
    October 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm

As much as I hate to see you less, I think it’s so wonderful that you are/have your priorities straight. No matter if you post 1x, 3x, 5x, etc.. a week, I’ll be here for every single post. Oh & please make sure you stay in contact with me girl.. you know twitter, or email 🙂

Em Kathryn
    October 3, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Oh I so understand where you are coming from. I think that’s awesome that you sat down and made a list just for you. I’ve had to do some reevaluating lately as well and I think it’s important. Also, your blog is fantastic and if you need to cut back a little, we will all be here still supporting you and reading 🙂 Don’t be too hard on yourself, you’ve got a great head on your shoulders!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Ahh I really do think the feeling of not having enough time is so common. But you’re right—it’s all about how you use it. I’m glad you’re prioritizing and I think I may be a copycat and make a list of goals AND a list or priorities too. It’s always important to assess where you are and where you want to be.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    October 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm

You know I support you 100% and am always here for you (more than just commenting on your blog that I love). We are all figuring things out and I am so proud of you — you know what you love, you know you can do it… go big or go home! Sending lots of love and positive vibes your way xo

October 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I thought about this quote myself just the other day. I KNOW it’s true, but I still do the same things over and over and get the same results (ones I don’t want). Good for you for taking the time to prioritize. I know you’ve been unhappy with work for a while, and you are SO talented in so many ways that I think you can find a job that really suits you. As to blogging less, I totally understand. No way that I could post a recipe every day like you (basically) do. Just letting you know, though, if I don’t get to talk to you every day through blogging, you can expect MUCH more frequent emails from me about random things. So get excited about that.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 3, 2013 at 12:20 pm

at the ripe age of 37 turning 38 soon (*sadface*), you quickly realize when things matter, when things don’t, what is out of your control and when to take action to change the things you’re able to change. perhaps it’s the fact that i’m close to 40 which means i’m halfway to death that makes one realize there’s not much worth in complaining…who knows.

but over the years, i’ve definitely learned a lot; that things don’t happen when you wait, that you have to take control of your life and make changes happen, even if it seems hard or scary. so planning out/writing down your priorities is a great first step; it’s what i always do when i’m unsure of where to go. i think when you see a tangible list of goals, it’s easier to tackle because anything worth doing is worth planning.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:40 am

Kathy you have no idea how much this comment helped me. I have looked back on it several times when I’ve been feeling anxious and I breathe a sigh of relief. That last line could not be more relevant!

1 2 3 5