blogging

The Definition of Insanity

October 3, 2013
By Benjamin Franklin’s definition I am clinically insane (for the record, Einstein is also quoted as saying this making it a double whammy!). I have a habit of continuing to do the same thing over and over expecting that the next time things will be better, that the result will be different. But the truth is that nothing will be different unless you make it different.

A new month is always a great time to sit down and assess where you are at in your life and where you would like to be. Some call these goals, but I call them priorities. Goals are the small things I’d like to achieve, like my 25 by 25 list. Priorities are how I want to live my life on a daily basis.

Lately life has felt exhausting. I no doubt have a lot on my plate, but most people do. Yet I continue to fill my days in the exact same way. The result? A whole lot of complaining.

I complain about my job, yet I make no moves to look into new options and opportunities.

I complain about my leg, yet I will still go out and run.

I complain about the blog, yet I don’t adapt to a more realistic posting schedule.

My main complaint is time. That I don’t have time to do all of the things I need and want to do. But the truth is that I do have the time. It’s just a matter of assessing how to prioritize it.

So on October 1st I sat down and made a list of my life priorities and am adapting my day-to-day activities to reflect these. This list is for my eyes and my eyes only (I doubt you would find it interesting anyway), but I just wanted to give you a heads up that things may be changing around here. Mainly you won’t be seeing me as much. You have turned out to be a support system that I never could have imagined and on some level I feel incredibly accountable to you.

On that note, time to go figure out my life!

Have you ever felt like you were doing the same thing over and over expecting the next time to be different? Do you make priority lists?

Nicole @ Fruitnfitness
    October 3, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I feel like that all the time! I have been having leg pain for months now due to an injury yet I still want to think I can run. My study schedule with school is the same way. I always say I need to change but I don’t.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I was just complaining to my husband the other day that I don’t have enough to work full time, blog half time, and work out consistently, so I feel you! I asked him if he would support my blogging hobby, but for some reason he didn’t go for it. 🙂 I probably need to sit down and make a list of life priorities too!

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    October 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Awesome!! its a great feeling when you sit down and take note of your real priorities isnt it? things might change, but they’ll probably change for the better. I used to be on a 5 days a week posting schedule until i realized it wasnt conducive to my lifestyle anymore. Now its more like 3 days a week- sometimes less if it needs to be- and thats ok. figure out the best schedule for you, know that its going to change from time and time and just focus on you 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:02 am

I think we should start job hunting together. I have a feeling it would be a lot more fun!

Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures
    October 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I think we probably all feel this way at some point. I know I do. There was a point when I was unhappy with work and didn’t feel like I was going anywhere, so I tried to make a change. That change backfired and caused that whole time thing to disappear. For real, it was gone. I was tired all the time, not being healthy, not blogging or seeing my friends and family, and thus miserable. So I made another move to change that. I’m not happy with work but I’m happy otherwise. I have time for friends/family/working out/eating well. There are sacrifices. I think making a list and following it is going to do wonders (I’m a big fan of planning and list making myself :)) but don’t beat yourself up if you can’t accomplish all of it. You have to decide what’s the most important and go with that. Maybe another aspect won’t be ideal but if it makes a b c and d that much better, then take pleasure in that. Then, maybe a little later on, when things are stable, concentrate on that one thing you have left to change. I’m glad you’re going to go figure out this whole insanity thing you have goin on 🙂 A lot of people stay miserable and do nothing to change themselves or their situation. I’m glad you’re being proactive. You better stay on IG though because Meghan and I will probably be lost without our 3rd bestie! Have a wonderful weekend and do something relaxing.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:02 am

I can definitely be pretty hard on myself and focus on the negatives more than the positives! There are some things in my life that need to change and I’ve been putting it off for wayyyy too long. Hopefully they don’t backfire. But in the end I have so many wonderful things and people in my life that I can turn to when something isn’t so great. Like my two new besties 😉 Thanks for the thoughtful response Bek!

Dixya
    October 3, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I totally understand because I feel the same way sometimes and all I do is complain rather than figuring out the situation. Blogging defnitely takes up so much of the time and sometimes its needed to take a break instead of hating blogging absolutely ( PLEASE DONT YOU DO THAT).

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

I won’t! I won’t! Just cutting back a little. Gotta get my life in order 🙂

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Amen girlygirl. I don’t have a lot of time either and I find myself exhausted by 9 pm and not ready to blog sometimes, or do anything, for that matter. I’m glad you reassessed because it sounds like it was definitely necessary to help you move forward and figure out a way to be happier and less tired in life. It’s okay if you don’t post as much or comment as much, you’ll still be cropped into mine and Rebekah’s IG photos haha or just come visit us with all the free time you create with your new priorities. I like the latter best. 🙂 <3

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    October 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Just read your 25 by 25 list- I like #14 and #18. I chew waaay too much gum! I so agree with you that we do have enough time, we just need to prioritize…thanks for reminding me to do so!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I think it is great that you took time to reevaluate your life and see how your actions are matching or are gonig against your values. While I love reading your daily posts it will be even more special to read after a day or two off! As big of supporters as we may be, you are your ultimate supporter so it’s important you have time for yourself too! A friend once told me to replace “I don’t have time” with “it’s not a priority”. Somethings are easy (I have time to make my bed but it’s not a priority) but other things are harder (I don’t go to the doctor because my health is not a priority) and the ones that don’t sit well teach us to change our thinking/time management. I definitely don’t think you are a complaining type of person – you always seem so positive! Don’t be too hard on yourself!

cityandthecubicle.com
    October 3, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I am the same way re; insanity diagnosis and only recently realized it. I complain over and over about how much I suck at the weight loss game but I have a hard time staying 100% committed, so thus I kind of fall off the wagon and complain about it. Blah.

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Definitely! Like complaining about one person over and over … and doing nothing to change my attitude. Or wanting to avoid a certain food and going back to it over … and over again. Honestly, every night, I type out my day on my phone, what I need to get done, how long I think it will take, what I have to get done first, etc., and it helps me evaluate and prepare myself for the next day. I LOVE lists:)

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I just wrote a really long comment and then it didn’t post so I’m going to try to do this again… Okay so I am glad that you are taking the time to prioritize your needs and wants because you deserve to feel happy and content! I hope that your cooking/baking class is a part of that plan. Habits can be hard to break, and they can really affect our mental/physical well-being, but you are tackling this head on, which is great. I have had similar feelings recently and am trying to work on that as well. I hope that even if you don’t post as much here I get to hear from you because I have quickly become a big fan of your little space in blogland.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:45 am

Ang you’re the best! Thank you and you will definitely see me popping up! I’m excited to spend more time reading awesome blogs like yours and less time on posting!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I’m so with you…i complain all the time but never think to find a solution to the problem! Curious to see how your changes affect your life. Good luck and keep us posted! 🙂

1 2 3 4 5