blogging

The Definition of Insanity

October 3, 2013
By Benjamin Franklin’s definition I am clinically insane (for the record, Einstein is also quoted as saying this making it a double whammy!). I have a habit of continuing to do the same thing over and over expecting that the next time things will be better, that the result will be different. But the truth is that nothing will be different unless you make it different.

A new month is always a great time to sit down and assess where you are at in your life and where you would like to be. Some call these goals, but I call them priorities. Goals are the small things I’d like to achieve, like my 25 by 25 list. Priorities are how I want to live my life on a daily basis.

Lately life has felt exhausting. I no doubt have a lot on my plate, but most people do. Yet I continue to fill my days in the exact same way. The result? A whole lot of complaining.

I complain about my job, yet I make no moves to look into new options and opportunities.

I complain about my leg, yet I will still go out and run.

I complain about the blog, yet I don’t adapt to a more realistic posting schedule.

My main complaint is time. That I don’t have time to do all of the things I need and want to do. But the truth is that I do have the time. It’s just a matter of assessing how to prioritize it.

So on October 1st I sat down and made a list of my life priorities and am adapting my day-to-day activities to reflect these. This list is for my eyes and my eyes only (I doubt you would find it interesting anyway), but I just wanted to give you a heads up that things may be changing around here. Mainly you won’t be seeing me as much. You have turned out to be a support system that I never could have imagined and on some level I feel incredibly accountable to you.

On that note, time to go figure out my life!

Have you ever felt like you were doing the same thing over and over expecting the next time to be different? Do you make priority lists?

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 4, 2013 at 7:40 am

Just checked out your 25 by 25 list, I also want to start knitting again and join a book club too 🙂

Blogging is one of those things that is so easy to spend A LOT of time on without realizing it so I think setting boundaries and limits is good which is why I set my no blogging after 9pm goal this month. I know I won’t always stick to it but even if I stick to it some of the time it is better than where I was.

I love that quote by the way, I always think of it when I feel like I’ve been trying the same thing over and over without the result I’ve been wanting.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:11 am

II need to institute that rule! It’s 9:11 now so let’s say 9:30 for tonight 😉

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 4, 2013 at 5:59 am

I really love that quote, and I think it hits home for so many of us. Good for you for acknowledging you may be taking on too much (or just not the things you’d like to), that’s always the first step to change! I have been working on decreasing my stress levels, and have found that simply re-evaluating what my days look like has helped so much to figure out what really doesn’t need to be there.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:10 am

Stress got the best of me and I knew I needed to make a change. I don’t think I’ll ever understand how powerful writing a list can be!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 4, 2013 at 5:47 am

Good luck with your list, I certainly need one as well. Change is certainly not easy, which is why it’s so easy to stick to the same old bad habits. Thank you so much for writing this post!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 4, 2013 at 4:43 am

<3. Good for you for recognizing this. You KNOW we'll be here anxiously waiting, no matter what changes you need to make. And also know that we all complain ... not the best habit, for sure, but it happens!!! Try to put things into perspective, be thankful for what you have, and wake up tomorrow proud of yourself that you ARE going to make the changes you need :).

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:09 am

Thanks Megan! It’s only gotten better since writing this post. I think I needed to put my thoughts on paper and stop being all talk and more about action! So far so good.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 4, 2013 at 3:50 am

Oh my gosh, YES!!! Actually, going along with my post today, that’s how I felt in the beginning stages of intuitive eating, but also I am definitely guilty of having “insane” thoughts when it comes to blogging too. If I could just sit down and form some sort of schedule…I would probably rebel against it 100% and go back to whatever I was doing before…uhhhh, well, at least I know myself, right? 😉

On that note, I’m off to go type up my blog post for tomorrow instead of going to bed. And then I will complain all day tomorrow about being short on time because I’m either too sleepy and moving slow or slept in and “wasted the day” Oy!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:08 am

Self-awareness is key! We’ll see if I actually stick to not blogging so much! It’s impossible when you love something so much but it causes you so much stress!

October 4, 2013 at 2:27 am

I’m right there with you!!! I keep thinking that maybe I should cut back on my blog time (since it is cutting into already minimal sleep time) but then I just get sucked in and haven’t done well about really limiting.
    Good job making a plan!!!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:07 am

I actually have dreams about the blog….that’s when you know you gotta cut back!

healthnutjulie.com
    October 4, 2013 at 1:23 am

I’m running into the same problem lately! I feel guilty “neglecting” my blog because I love it so much but when I post often, it decreases the quality and leaves me stressed. I’m hoping to find balance between everything, too. Blogging is seriously a part time job in itself!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:06 am

Exactly! I never want anything I put out to you guys to be less than my best but let’s be honest, who has time to write the best posts 7 days a week?!?! Time to cut back!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

I totally feel you here girl! Some evenings I’ll complain that I didn’t have time to bake, or read, or catch up with a friend… but then I realize I spent 2 hours reading blogs. I definitely need to work on prioritizing my time too.

Shoot me an email if you ever need to talk it out!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:06 am

Thanks Chels, I appreciate it!

It’s funny because spending less time writing on my own blog and more time readings others is a priority of mine. I miss lazy Saturday morning blog reading!

October 4, 2013 at 12:17 am

Prioritizing my to-do list has been KEY in maintaining my sanity. I definitely feel ya on getting overwhelmed by the seemingly endless amount of things that have to get done, but I’ve found that proper time management really helps, not only with productivity but stress levels as well. I say that, but that area could definitely use a little more work in my life.

October 4, 2013 at 12:15 am

I can relate to this so much- I always complain about this and that yet at days end, never do anything to change it. Bravo on acknowledging this for yourself, and whether you blog about it or not, or cut back on the time in front of your screen- you have my support!

PS- I still see that picture of you in the chefs hat from instagram and hope you consider something down that path- you have a talent!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:05 am

Thanks Arman! I appreciate your support more than you know.

Also my not-so-secret dream would be to open a bakery. Now to figure out how to make that happen…

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    October 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I used to do this FREQUENTLY, but now I always re-evaluate if something is not working and get rid of the CRAP that’s filling up my time where I could be doing something bigger and better. Now when it comes to exercise, I definitely do the same work out daily (+ or – pilates) because I do it more for the WAKE ME UP/ENERGY that comes with exercise, rather than the LOSE WEIGHT – as I don’t need to lose weight. Yes, switching it up regardless is always a good idea, but I like that I can go for it and not think about what I am doing, and then all of a sudden, it’s OVER! lol

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:04 am

Ahhhh I love hearing other people’s priorities! Fitness is not mine right now but I know when other things in my life are settled it will be again.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Lack of time can be super stressful, so you girl relax, take it easy and enjoy life… when you come back, we’ll all be here for you, reading all of your inspiring posts! I hope you do well, Davida! x
    p.s: loved your 25 by 25 list 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:03 am

Thanks girl! It was fun making that list and I’ve actually already checked off a few! This weekend was incredibly relaxing and I am so grateful for that!

1 2 3 4 5