blogging

The Definition of Insanity

October 3, 2013
By Benjamin Franklin’s definition I am clinically insane (for the record, Einstein is also quoted as saying this making it a double whammy!). I have a habit of continuing to do the same thing over and over expecting that the next time things will be better, that the result will be different. But the truth is that nothing will be different unless you make it different.

A new month is always a great time to sit down and assess where you are at in your life and where you would like to be. Some call these goals, but I call them priorities. Goals are the small things I’d like to achieve, like my 25 by 25 list. Priorities are how I want to live my life on a daily basis.

Lately life has felt exhausting. I no doubt have a lot on my plate, but most people do. Yet I continue to fill my days in the exact same way. The result? A whole lot of complaining.

I complain about my job, yet I make no moves to look into new options and opportunities.

I complain about my leg, yet I will still go out and run.

I complain about the blog, yet I don’t adapt to a more realistic posting schedule.

My main complaint is time. That I don’t have time to do all of the things I need and want to do. But the truth is that I do have the time. It’s just a matter of assessing how to prioritize it.

So on October 1st I sat down and made a list of my life priorities and am adapting my day-to-day activities to reflect these. This list is for my eyes and my eyes only (I doubt you would find it interesting anyway), but I just wanted to give you a heads up that things may be changing around here. Mainly you won’t be seeing me as much. You have turned out to be a support system that I never could have imagined and on some level I feel incredibly accountable to you.

On that note, time to go figure out my life!

Have you ever felt like you were doing the same thing over and over expecting the next time to be different? Do you make priority lists?

Tara
    October 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

Change can be so hard!!! But if you do what you truly feel is right, it will all work out ๐Ÿ™‚ Good job for putting yourself first!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 5, 2013 at 1:43 am

Having enough time in the day to do all of the things that I want to do each day is definitely a struggle for me. I think that it’s awesome that you are taking charge and trying to make a positive step in the right direction. Whatever you need to do, we are here for you!

Sarah Pie
    October 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I always forget that quote is from Ben Franklin because it is used so often as a continuing theme on my favorite TV show (so thanks for the reminder!!) I’m glad you’re taking time to re-evaluate things and settle into a schedule for life that fits you best! It can be hard sometimes to admit that you need to take a step back to get the full benefit and enjoyment out of everything so I applaud you for taking that step!

Heather Wilson
    October 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I completely understand you on this topic! I think us, as blogger’s, feel posting daily should be a major priority. At least I know I do! Sometimes we need to just sit back and prioritize our lives and realize that sometimes maybe posting less could be better for our lives all around. Or even just changing your daily schedule so you have the time to post everyday, either way, we all have to do what’s best for us and our families! : ) Once you get that list in order and prioritized things wont seem so hectic! <3

Have a great weekend sweets!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:57 am

When I think about what I want from blogging I realize that in the past few months it’s become far more stressful than I had ever wanted it to be. Time to step back and remember why I started doing this in the first place ๐Ÿ™‚

Laura
    October 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I got to that point with my job. I set a goal of doing 3 things every day to get me closer to finding a new one. It was amazing – I had a new job in 2 weeks!

Khushboo
    October 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm

This is one of my all-time favorite quotes! Making a list of your priorities is a step in the right direction so kudos on that- you’re one step closer to seeing different results :)!

October 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm

“Time to go figure out my life!” — You are too cute! Ah yes, isn’t that the constant pursuit of all of human kind? I think it certainly is a matter of prioritizing and deciding what works best for you. You’ll figure it out my friend!

Oh and STOP RUNNING!!! I worked out on a foot with a fractured bone for a good year before buckling down and doing what I needed to. After wearing a cast for 5 weeks and resting, it has been feeling SO MUCH BETTER and I’m so happy I listened to my body. Maybe you just need to figure out more low-impact exercise that’ll both you happy yet not put too much pressure on your hurting leg. Just a thought! Best of luck to you with everything Davida!!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:19 am

Definitely stopped running! Walking is my new activity and I’m kind of digging it ๐Ÿ™‚

And I think you’re right, I’ll figure it out. Writing it down was definitely a start!

Amy @ TheDeviatedRunner
    October 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Brilliant! For whatever reason, I have never taken the time to sit down and make a priorities list- and Lordy knows I need to.
    I have found myself complaining a lot lately as well, and in front of my kids- not cool. Great advice girlie! ๐Ÿ™‚

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:20 am

Ah we alll complain! No need to feel bad about it. But take it as a sign something needs to change ๐Ÿ™‚

Sarah Cook
    October 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Oh sugar-pie, I know exactly how you feel. We fill our plates so full because we love what we do (minus the working part). ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I often feel insane too, waking up early on the weekend to spend 5 hours in the kitchen, cooking and taking pictures and then working a full week and trying to keep up with the rest of life. It’s crazy and I’m exhausted! And I’ve pondered the same things you have, wondering if I should cut back. I know it’s hard to do but if it’s making you unhappy because you don’t have the time to keep up then it’s probably what’s best for you. I limit myself to 4 posts a week and it seems to work out, although I am still exhausted.

Just remember, no matter if it’s 2,3,4 or 5 times a week, we all love you and will still be here to read your beautiful and honest words. <3

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:14 am

I say we just combine our blogs and divide the work! It’s been so helpful to make the decision to change some things. I think some weeks I’ll be around 5 days a week and others less but I needed to say it out loud that I won’t be consistent with this anymore. I was just putting way too much pressure on myself to post 5 days a week and was forcing it. I feel better knowing I will only be putting things out there that are my best, even if it’s 2 days a week!

And thank you girl! You know I’m kind of obsessed with your blog!

[email protected]
    October 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Aw Davida sometimes I feel the same way- making a list of priorities is super helpful. I used to blog everyday and now I do 3 times a week, that has helped out quite a bit!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I don’t know, do you think you’re actually complaining, or just talking through it, to try and figure it out? There’s a difference… one of my fav Deepak Chopra lines is, “Whatever I’m talking about is what I’m working on”. It’s not like we HAVE to take action immediately, and talking definitely helps figure out that next step.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 1:00 am

Yeah I think I definitely complain to clear my head of the thoughts I am having. I’m hoping the fact that my complaints have been tenfold lately means that I have a lot of things that I’ve been sweeping under the rug coming to the surface and that now is the time to work on them.

Joanne
    October 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

Girl, I have definitely been there and I think taking the time to reassess and prioritize is an awesome idea. You don’t want to get burned out on every level!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 7, 2013 at 12:58 am

Exactly. Definitely burnt out on some levels but best to avoid it happening in all facets of my life right?

1 2 3 4 5