Wellness

A Word On Food Tolerances

October 5, 2016

These days everywhere you go there is someone with a food intolerance. Restaurants have become increasingly more accommodating and grocery stores offer lines of gluten-free, vegan, paleo, nut-free options that we couldn’t have imagined 10 years ago.

It’s pretty incredible to see how in tune people are becoming with their bodies, its needs and the foods they choose to nourish or not nourish themselves with.

A Word on Food Tolerances and being more respectful of other people's diet choices- remember, eyes on your own plate!But increasingly so I have noticed that these needs have created polarities between people who are intolerant to certain foods from those who aren’t. That suddenly the diet choices we make give us permission to judge those who choose to eat differently.

As food intolerances have increased, our food tolerance has decreased.

I certainly have a way I choose to eat. I’m an advocate for #allfoodsfit. I prefer to eat less meat, low-gluten and limited refined sugar, but when I decide I want a waffle or a donut or a bacon cheeseburger, I’m not going to deny myself it.

Likewise, I have friends with all kinds of food intolerances or preferences and even if I might not choose to eat that way, it doesn’t give me permission to pass judgment or criticism on the choices they make.

I have friends who are vegan, paleo, gluten-free, calorie counters and fast-food eaters alike. They have chosen to follow a certain lifestyle and I am in no position to tell them them otherwise.

It pains me when I see YouTubers attacking other content creators on the diet choices they make, or when I get called out for eating chicken. Or when Jordan gets hate mail for choosing to no longer be vegan or I get told that I’ve disappointed my readers because of a picture I posted on Instagram.

The other day someone was asking me what kind of expertise I have. “Are you an RD? A nutritionist? A trainer”. No, I’m none of the above, and at this time I don’t plan to get any of these certifications. What I love about THM is that I’m NOT an expert. I will never tell you how to eat, what diet will change your life or that I have the answers to ultimate health. I make choices for me and try my best to lead by example. If what works for me, works for you, awesome. If not, onto the next!

I’ll be honest, I rarely, if ever find myself craving super indulgent foods, but when picking up my @bootstrapcoffee at the farmer’s market this morning, the @tbspwaffles booth next door legit was calling my name. ✨ I follow an “anything goes” attitude when it comes to food. I generally eat very healthy because it makes me feel awesome and as a result just don’t eat a lot of indulgent foods, but it is never ever off limits. This means if I’m craving a Maple Pecan Cinnamon Roll waffle, ain’t nothing gonna stop me! And quite frankly, I was full after eating half and happily gave the other half away without feeling like I needed more. ✨ I’m someone who can’t have strict rules when it comes to food. Too many rules = crazy Davs who starts craving ALL THE SWEETS, as soon as you tell me I can’t have them. Moderation is not something I have to work at, it’s just something that is because I put my physical and mental health first✌️️ ✨ I know this philosophy doesn’t work for everything; that some people are abstainers and need to eliminate things to avoid going HAM at the buffet that we call life, but I’m not one of those people. So if you find all you can think about is the purple elephant when you’re told not to think about the purple elephant, try a more moderate approach to health. Eat the waffle! Who knows what will happen…#mavenrealtalk #realtalk #moderation #yolo #omnom #minnesota #minneapolis

A photo posted by Davida | ?: TheHealthyMaven (@thehealthymaven) on

I ask you to do the same. To keep whatever judgments you have about other people’s diets to yourself and keep your eyes on your own plate. If you lead a life that makes you feel happy and fulfilled, people will notice. And when they feel up to it, they will ask you how you do it.

And if they don’t, unfollow. Don’t invest your time and your energy on trying to change people’s minds. And similarly, please don’t waste your time and energy on trying to change mine. This is my home and I won’t tolerate you passing judgment on the choices I make.

The takeaway here is simple, let’s be more respectful of each other. You are not a god for drinking green juice everyday and you are not a sinner for eating McDonalds. Everyone is on their own path and their own journey to health.

Be respectful, be encouraging, be tolerant.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    October 5, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Gosh! So well put 🙂 I totally feel like it all boils down to respect and understanding that we are all different. Thanks for posting 🙂

October 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm

ALL OF THIS. I literally don’t know what else to say about it, but this is why I love you.

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    October 5, 2016 at 11:20 am

SO MUCH THIS. I think you’ve found a sweet spot with all of us “healthy living” bloggers. I just really wish people would stop the judgement. It’s so frustrating. THANK YOU for sharing this.

October 5, 2016 at 11:59 am

Of course babes. Thank you for always being so supportive and helping to spread this ALL FOODS FIT message!

Emmy
    October 5, 2016 at 11:04 am

Such a great post, and reminder to us all! Thank you.

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    October 5, 2016 at 10:57 am

I couldn’t agree more. I always share on my site what works with me, but I follow that with a disclaimer that everyone needs to find what works best for them. Still I get haters who want to attack what I’ve found works for me and it saddens me. The truth is I think people are always looking for ways to be negative towards other people. It’s become an epidemic. How many times do you get a negative comment before you get a positive one? We need a more positive world where people embrace each other’s differences and not attack each other over it.

October 5, 2016 at 12:23 pm

So crazy, right?! Thanks for sticking to your guns and not letting the hate take over. We got this, lady!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    October 5, 2016 at 10:44 am

Preachhhhh, lady! I always love your down-to-earth (or, as we Cajuns say, “laissez-faire”) attitude when it comes to food and life. I know I’m vegan, but I try my absolute hardest to not fit into that judgmental category you mention. If someone tells me they just can’t give up meat, I say, “that’s fine, just eat it with some vegetables.” I try to be very open-minded and accepting – that’s how my momma raised me! You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. <3

October 5, 2016 at 12:13 pm

It’s funny cause something that I have always loved about your blog is that you’ve never been pushy or preachy about veganism. You’ve made choices that are in line with your values and this totally shines. I am certain that you’ve inspired many to try out veganism to achieve this same feeling and THAT is what being an influencer is all about. It’s not about pushing your beliefs but owning your truth and letting people feel empowered to own theirs. Keep being amazing!!!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
        October 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

You don’t know how much that means to me, Davida! Keep on doing your thing – it shines through also. <3

Ashley @ The Small Town Foodie
    October 5, 2016 at 10:20 am

You said this perfectly, Davida. I experience both sides to this. As a healthy food blogger, I often catch myself trying to tell people how to eat. While it’s good to help people out, I need to learn how to do this in a better way, and only if they are interested. And as someone who is just trying to figure out what works for me, I often feel judged for eating/not eating certain foods. The worst is when I can tell people are criticizing me just because they’re insecure about their choices!
    I definitely needed this message 🙂

October 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I’m so glad you can understand it from both sides. I’m sure I’ve been guilty of passing judgment at times (I’m certainly no saint!), but also of being judged for my choices. I mean girlfriend NEEDS some deep fried tacos every now and then haha

Abigail
    October 5, 2016 at 9:46 am

YES. THIS. Well said! Nothing fires me up more than food shaming. It’s got to stop.

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    October 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

I wish I could like this a thousand times. I for the life of me don’t understand why people feel the need to be so judgemental of what others eat and do. Since starting a “healthy living blog” I have definitely felt pressured to be healthier or eat a certain way when I’m around others to avoid off putting comments. It’s so silly!

Thank you for posting this. This message definitely needs to be shared.

October 5, 2016 at 12:22 pm

It’s so crazy! I’m literally astounded what people think it’s appropriate to say both in person and on the internet. Eat for your soul and let everyone else thrive in a way that works for theirs! If only it were that simple arghhhhh I digress.

Lee
    October 5, 2016 at 9:21 am

WELL SAID MAVE MAMA.

Emily @ My Healthyish Life
    October 5, 2016 at 8:57 am

100% agree. Truthfully, as someone who has a limited diet at the moment for some health reasons, I often feel judged for my choices. It can make posting food on Instagram so (unintentionally) controversial. I don’t post everything I eat, and the way I do eat is right for me. I’ve actually struggled with the “expert” label on my blog too (aka I’m not one in any form) but that’s not the focus. My intention is to share my journey (not just food related) and what I learn along the way.

October 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I actually think it’s a huge asset to not be an expert. I mean at the end of the day were experts in ourselves so own that and share your journey shamelessly!

Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie
    October 5, 2016 at 6:17 am

YES to all of this. Oh my gosh I can relate to this on so many levels. Ever since I started a food and fitness blog, when I am out with friends they will make comments like I am judging them for ordering fries (which I am totally not judging at all) or that they are surprised I will order a burger. I wish I could just show them this post every time. I’ll take care of myself, and you take care of yourself, isn’t that what’s it’s all about at the end of the day?!

October 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I HATE that. When people think I’m judging them for making their food choices OR when people judge me for ordering wine and dessert. Like I’m human. We all are! So let’s just be supportive no matter what!

1 2