Black Bean Enchiladas
This easy vegetarian black bean enchiladas recipe is packed full of nutrition but isn’t short on flavor. Perfect for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.
- Author: Davida Lederle
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded + finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion (roughly 1 cup), finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed + drained
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I prefer Monterrey Jack or Cheddar)
- 8 large flour tortillas (8–10 inches)
For garnish (optional):
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Green onions, chopped
- Dollop of sour cream
- Lime, juiced
- Sprinkling cotija cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce along the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add your olive olive. Add bell peppers and red onion and cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Stir in black beans, cumin, dried oregano and salt. Add 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce to black bean mixture.
- If tortillas are not pliable heat in microwave inside a dish towel for 30 seconds.
- Add a scoop of black bean mixture (around 1/3 cup) into the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (roughly 1/2 cup divided evenly in each tortilla). Roll up tortilla and place seam side down into baking dish. Repeat until all tortillas are full and snuggly fit into baking dish.
- Pour remaining 1 cup of enchilada sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until all cheese is melted and edges of tortillas are golden brown.
- Top with desired garnish and serve immediately.
- To store: cover with a top or plastic wrap and store in fridge. Reheat in the microwave or oven. Will keep for up to 3 days. See note above for freezing instructions.
Keywords: black bean enchiladas, veggie enchiladas