Black Bean Lava Cakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 cakes 1x
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax mixed with 3 T warm water)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 pieces of chocolate, for center.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make flax egg and set aside
- In food processor combine black beans, maple syrup, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and half of sea salt. Pulse to combine (about 1 minute)
- Add in almond meal, cocoa powder and flax egg. Process until combined (about 30 seconds)
- Add in baking powder and continue processing for another 30 seconds.
- Grease 4 5oz ramekins with coconut oil. Make sure to grease well.
- Add a 1/4 cup of batter to each ramekin.
- Place piece of chocolate and cover each ramekin evenly with remaining batter.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins.
- Use a knife to loosen edges and then flip ramekins over on a plate. They should come loose easily.
- Serve warm. Will keep in fridge for several days.