Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce
Making arrabbiata sauce is easier than you think! Ditch the store-bought jar and whip up this homemade arrabbiata sauce recipe instead.
- Author: Davida Lederle
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large vine tomatoes, diced (roughly 2 lbs)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don’t want it so hot)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil, onions to a large sauce pan and cook on medium heat for 5 mins or until onions are translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and increase temperature to medium-high until mixture starts to boil.
- Add in red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Once boiling reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer, uncovered for 20 mins.
- Stir in basil.
- Continue simmering until preferred consistency is reached. Or if you prefer a smoother consistency use an immersion blender to blend to smooth.
- Top on your favourite pasta or pizza.
Keywords: Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce, Arrabbiata Sauce, Pasta sauce