For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners or grease with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl (or mixer) combine applesauce, coconut oil, almond milk, egg, honey and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined.
- Divide batter evenly in cupcake tin and bake for 22-25 mins or until tops have browned slightly and bounce back when pressed.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 mins before removing and allowed to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
- While cupcakes are cooling open coconut milk and scoop out cream from top of can. Place in a mixer bowl and using a stand-mixer with the whisk attachment or hand-mixer, whisk for 5-10 mins or until cream has reached hard-peaks. Cream should be very stiff.
- Add in honey and whisk for 1 more minute.
- Place frosting in piping bag and pipe over cupcakes in a circular motion. OR frost cupcakes using a knife. Top with toasted coconut, if desired.
- Keep in a cool place or keep in fridge to last longer (will dry out slightly in the fridge).
*OR use whole-wheat flour.
**I find Thai Kitchen brand works best.