- Using plastic wrap fit a piece inside a 9×9 inch baking pan. Make sure piece is well fitted on the inside and hangs over sides.
For Fig Filling:
- Place fresh or dried figs in food processor and process until smooth.
- Add in ground flaxseed if using fresh figs.
- Remove from food processor and set aside. Clean food processor.
For Crust/Crumb Layer:
- Add almonds, flaxseed and dates to food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add in vanilla extract and almond milk (starting with 1 T and adding another if mix is dry) and continue processing until mixture comes together into a sticky ball.
- Take 2/3 of mixture and flatten inside plastic wrapped baking pan using hands. Make sure “crust” is even.
- Top with fig filling. Spreading over crust using a spatula.
- Take remaining mixture and crumble over bars. Flatten pieces over fig filling just slightly using palm.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pull bars out of pan by lifting up the plastic wrap.
- Cut into 12 bars.
- I store mine in the freezer to keep longer (several weeks) or store in fridge for up to 1 week.
*Soak dried figs in water for at least 1 hour before using and then drain water.